Activities for Litha
Since I am a solitary witch, I am unable to celebrate the Sabbats with other witches or a coven. So, I have activities that any witch - solitary, stuck in the broom closet, non-solitary, etc. - can do in celebration of Litha.
Litha is Sabbat that focuses on love (yourself, your family, your friends, your partner), abundance, and letting go. It is a sabbat to take action in your affairs, as the primary element is the Sun/Fire. Even if you cannot soak up the sun, there’s plenty to do for Litha:
1) Admire Summer: Whether it’s a hot, bright summer day or a summer storm, enjoy the Solstice! Stop to smell the flowers, bask in the weather and full bloom of nature, or just enjoy the longest day of the year.
2) Light a candle: As Fire is the primary element, simply lighting a candle is a great way to celebrate! Some choose to light it during the day and allow it to burn throughout the day. But for some witches, like myself, who cannot stay at home to watch the candle and are worried about a fire hazard, I choose to light my candle when I return home. Praying to the candle is another aspect to consider. Bonus if you a light a candle that is made from beeswax!
3) Use Summer herbs: This year, I’m focusing on three main summer herbs: Lavender, Chamomile, and Sage. Lavender and Chamomile for relaxing and enjoying the summer, while Sage is for cleansing and letting go. I love Litha for the aspect of doing a 6-month review of the year and deciding what needs to be let go and what I need to change. I’m choosing to use bath salts that contain these herbs, as water is another cleansing tool. You can use these herbs for teas, baking, harvesting, tool making (such as dream pillows or charm bottles), and incense.
4) Color-coordinate and accessorize: Yellows, oranges, and other similar summer colors are a low-key way to celebrate. Wear these colored clothing or accessories in celebration. If you have accessories or clothing that have butterflies, bees, other pollinators, and birds, even better! Got sun-theme jewelry? Also good!
5) Watch the sunrise/sunset: Many suggest watching the sunrise on Litha, and others say watch the sunset. Your choice! Just enjoy the beautiful colors and scenery of a sunrise/sunset.
6) Focus on yourself: Figure out what you want to let go. We’re 6 months in and it’s time for a review. Are you happy? Are there things you can let go of? Take the time to review yourself, your path, and your life. See what you want out of your life and make a plan to achieve it.
7) Celebrate love: Love yourself, your family, your friends, and/or your partner. Single? Say a prayer to search for love. Cast a love-magnet spell, or a self-love spell. Hell, do some divination on the topic of love (romantic, platonic, and/or familial) Most importantly, express your love. Do things that promote self-love. Tell your family, friends, and/or partner you love them.
Enjoy Litha and blessings to you all!