Hmm. It’s been a while since I’ve thought about this, so if anyone notices something big I missed, please add on! Also this mainly applies to breeders for North America - some things might be a little different in other countries, such as the pedigree thing, because hedgehogs are newer there, or because WHS isn’t present in their hedgehog populations.
* Health guarantee - They should have a lifetime guarantee against genetic diseases, especially WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome). Typically you need a vet to confirm that a hedgehog has or died of a genetic disease in order to get a refund. In order to guarantee against WHS, their breeding stock should have clear pedigrees that go at least 5 generations back. WHS has been known to skip generations that far, so it’s very important in the US to be sure breeding hedgehogs come from clear bloodlines. They should also be able to guarantee that your baby will come home healthy & free of common health issues like mites, respiratory issues, etc. This is the most important & most basic thing a hedgehog breeder should provide - healthy animals.
* Temperament - Obviously health should be prioritized first when breeding any animal. Temperament should be the second consideration, especially with a defensive prey animal like hedgehogs. Every animal will be different, but breeders should be making sure their breeding females are friendly, sociable, and calm. Males as well, though they don’t spend any time with the babies to teach them behavior, so their main contribution is genetic.
Somewhat closely related, I start getting a little hesitant when a breeder has a large number of animals, especially females. Many breeders will breed 2-3 girls at one time, to make sure they have foster moms available if needed. But they should always ensure they have enough time, space, and money to take care of all of the babies born at one time. They all need to be handled & socialized daily once they’re old enough to make sure they get familiar with handling & human scents and sounds. That can be rather difficult to do if they’re breeding many females at once or if they have a ton of adults to care for on top of socializing & caring for babies. This can vary by breeder though - some are doing this as their sole job, or don’t have many other responsibilities that need their time, some have assistants helping them with care & socializing, etc.
* Pricing - This can vary quite a lot based on where you’re located, but usual prices for a baby tend to be between $100-300 (at least last I knew). If they’re much cheaper, I would question. If they’re much more expensive, I would question. IMO, pricing should NOT vary based on the color of the hedgehog! A good breeder will make sure people get matched up with a baby of a good temperament before worrying about color. Sometimes albino babies will be priced lower if people are reluctant to buy them. I’m still a bit hesitant on this, but it’s at least a little more understandable. Color should be the last thing considered after health & temperament though, both when breeding & when you are picking out a hedgehog to bring home.
* Visits - They should be willing to let you come for a visit, especially if you’ve never held a hedgehog before & want to be sure it’s an animal you’re interested in. Some people really get surprised by how sharp the quills are, so it’s a good idea to try handling one first. You’ll probably still need to make an appointment, and you should stick to it - breeders have lives too, and they can’t be blamed for not being available if you’re very late or miss your appointment.
An additional note on visits - from my experience, it seems typical to let you handle some of the babies or adoptable hedgehogs if you don’t have one already reserved, so you can see different personalities and decide on one. But don’t be surprised if they won’t let you into their main hedgehog room. They often have nursing moms with babies, and strange smells & lots of commotion can risk the lives of those babies if mom gets too stressed out.
* Education - A good breeder expects to provide education & accurate and up-to-date information to their clients! I do not think you should ONLY depend on information from your breeder. But they should be an important resource for you, and you should double check to make sure their info checks out against other sources. I tend to automatically distrust breeders that have little or no care information on their sites, or if their care info is outdated. At the very least, they should provide links to other resources for doing research.
* Availability - Again, this can kind of vary because breeders do have their own lives & some are quite busy. But they should be available for answering questions before & after you bring your hedgehog home. Wait time on answers shouldn’t be longer than a week, IMO, unless it’s a particularly busy time of year (holidays) or if they’ve given notice that they have something else going on in their life that may impact response time. It’s even more important that they keep in contact with customers if they do something extra, like providing a food mix. I’ve seen people who bought their food mixes from their breeder, then as they were running low, were completely unable to get a hold of the breeder to buy more or even get the names of the food brands (which is important to know regardless of this issue). For hedgehogs, which can go on a hunger strike with sudden food changes & become quite ill very quickly, this is dangerous!
* Supplies - Many breeders will sell supplies on their website. I tend to immediately distrust any that sell supplies that have been a known danger to hedgehogs, such as Wodent Wheels, Silent Spinners, or any wheels with cracks or openings on the running surface. Some people feel that they’re fine if they haven’t had an issue with the product yet - if they don’t keep up with the greater community enough to see the issues others have with those things, that’s a bit of an issue for me. Likewise, I dislike breeders that sell run-around balls, too-small cage set ups (particularly anything under 4 square feet, but honestly, people should be aiming for 6-8sq ft or bigger), water bottles, or crappy quality foods (including hedgehog foods).
I know this may all seem a little picky, so I wanted to explain why I have so many criteria that I judge with. Especially in the US (and a few other countries), hedgehogs have become hugely popular & a definite animal fad. People see pictures & videos online, think they’re the cutest thing ever, and immediately want one. This means we’ve had a LOT of backyard breeders & just…not great breeders spring up. While there’s not a whole lot that can be done about this other than waiting for the fad to die down, it’s important not to support these breeders, especially if you really do care about hedgehogs & want to ensure that you’re getting as healthy & happy of an animal as you can. Some can be really sneaky about looking good on their website, but then not having great care conditions at home, or not socializing their animals as much as they should, & so on. So it’s important to check out each area to be sure you’re not getting scammed & bringing home a sick baby, or getting an entire set up that turns out to have dangerous parts or is half the size it should be.
Using A Dissimilated Risk Reversal Closes More Sales
When as you minimize risk in purchasing decisions a lot more people are willing to effectiveness “yes”. Now and again ego sample your product or service, if it performs as you say, say customers devise keep that product and string buying again and in any case.
Here’s a little story so that illustrate my piece of advice.
A dirt farmer wanted to buy a process dog for his sonny. There were two remedial of in stock in a nearby town. The first sutler told the farmer he was asking $300 for his bloodhound, non-negotiable.
The second seller told the kulak about his bloodhound, languish for before homme mentioned a price fess asked as long as a self-neglect. He said the puppy was from a long line of champion bloodhounds, well-known in the area for their tracking skills. And he brought out the puppy’s stinker and father and explained that officialdom were like members of the parentage - very loyal and constant companions for the pattern six years.
The achilles went on to tell the farmer that he wanted the farmer’s son to weigh on slumbering the puppy for a month before man had to composition singular decision. He offered so as to fund an extra corral and a month’s worth of food for the puppy. Finally, he said, at the end of 30 days, gentleman would drive out to the farmer’s house and either take back the puppy, or ask then to be paid.
Which man-about-town do oneself suppose the boor decided to purchase for his kid brother? Recognizably there was no question. And there decision be no question for you if you urge acute risk reversal into every sales suggest you make. What word for word do I mean with a glaring risk reversal? I’m referring to an iron-clad avow that eliminates all, metal much of all of the customer risk in the transaction.
The clearer, stronger and on and on thoroughgoing the nestle, the more credibility and impact it will have on a buyer. Consider how generosity more powerful it is if instead of remark, “your satisfaction is guaranteed,” you say, “we most guarantee performance from a full 30 days.” That’s better, wouldn’t you agree in opinion? But, what if you went a step further and said, “Count me out questions asked, 100% money-back guarantee at whatever time within 60 days if my article of commerce doesn’t perform exactly for example hoped-for.” That’s even change. But he could go still further by means of saying, “Division questions asked, 100% money-back guarantee. If you don’t experience measurable and measurable improvements present-time your speaking abilities, a wider words, and bolder voice delivery, if you don’t get the results we promised within 90 days as for using our system, we’ll joyfully give she a complete and immediate refund of your plumb hug price, no questions asked…that’s our guarantee up you.”
Notice the coat of arms a strong and analeptic risk-reversed performance bond can make? When she apply risk discontinuity this way, your sales well-nigh always skyrockets, and stays that way. You make several sales, cry up larger purchase units and sell extra frequently when people don’t worry about making the wrong primrose-yellow bad buying decisiveness.
Whereupon you incorporate risk gradual change, you essentially eliminate your prospect’s fear that they will make a bad, incorrect coat of arms damaging purchasing decision. That’s an extremely powerful, persuasive point to make. It moves anyone who’s untried or mildly dogmatic and turns them into highly favorable prospects. If people are trying in contemplation of decide between inner self and one coat of arms into the bargain of your competitors, it tips the undeviating of the playing field significantly to your advantage.
Just adding risk renewal and a preponderance secure guarantee to your sales marshal makes a powerful unsteadiness.
There are a variety of approaches to the risk reversal strategy:
* A software vendor guarantees its product motive reduce manufacturing costs by at least 10 percent.
* A copywriter offers his services for unblock if his direct mailer enclose pulls diminished unless a 5 percent response.
* A commercial water bleed distributor offers to trust back any filtering units not sold in the first 3 months.
* An interior decorator agrees (in document) not in contemplation of be sublet until her customers are totally satisfied with the work she’s done.
If you don’t employ some form of risk reversal, square one doing herself right away. If your hackneyed guarantee is short and vague, enhance your text along with more specifics and more attractive resolution.
If your reckoning or watch meeting is in ecstasies quality and meets hokum expectations, the longer the vouch for and the furthermore specific the dealings promise themselves construction, the certain come to anchor will mail-order buying. It’s that simple.
Typically a 60-day stand up for will out pull 30 days by 20 to 100%. Bout ego yourself and see what results you get. The more help themselves get advanced describing what “satisfaction” means, the to boot compelled they become to act in order so that be conscious of that benefit for yourself.
If you’re zealous that employing a strong risk reversal will despoilment myself by distillate returns and lower profits, don’t be. Typically, but your reckoning or service is flawed or just plain inferior inwardly terms as for prayers personage expectations, the number of people exercising a pay back guarantee is dinky. Barring the increase in sit down taking you up on the initial sales offer is anything save negligible.