The most important writing lesson I ever learned was not in a screenwriting class, but a fiction class.
This was senior year of college. Most of us had already been accepted into grad school of some sort. We felt powerful, we felt talented, and most of all, we felt artistic.
It was the advanced fiction workshop, and we did an entire round of workshops with everyone’s best stories, their most advanced work, their most polished pieces. It was very technical and, most of all, very artistic.
IE: They were boring pieces of pretentious crap.
Now the teacher was either a genius OR was tired of our shit, and decided to give us a challenge. Flash fiction, he said. Write something as quickly as possible. Make it stupid. Make it not mean a thing, just be a quick little blast of words.
And, of course, we all got stupid. Little one and two pages of prose without the barriers that it must be good. Little flashes of characters, little bits of scenarios.
And they were electric. All of them. So interesting, so vivid, not held back by the need to write important things or artistic things.
One sticks in my mind even today. The guys original piece was a thinky, thoughtful piece relating the breaking up of threesomes to volcanoes and uncontrolled eruptions that was just annoying to read. But his flash fiction was this three page bit about a homeless man who stole a truck full of coca cola and had to bribe people to drink the soda so he could return the cans to recycling so he could afford one night with the prostitute he loved.
It was funny, it was heartfelt, and it was so, so, so well written.
And just that one little bit of advice, the write something short and stupid, changed a ton of people’s writing styles for the better.
It was amazing. So go. Go write something small. Go write something that’s not artistic. Go write something stupid. Go have fun.
wow! such a nice and warm weather, it feels like spring!
me, muttering under my breath:
shut the fuck up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's JANUARY it's not supposed to be this warm yet!!!!!!!!!!! global warming is HERE and our cold snowy beautiful winters are forever history!!!!!! yet we are doing NOTHING about the case!!!!!!!! and even if we did something trump is the president of united states now and he's going to FUCK everything UP because his climate decisions will affect EVERYBODY!!!ON!THIS!PLANET! this weather is not _NICE AND WARM___ WHAT THE FUCKKK it's the awaiting HELLFIRE THAT'S RADIATING HEAT UPON US SO SHUT UP
People hold hands? Psh I can't relate, I throw hands like a real man.
[puts on fake glasses] It's time to read some hoes.
Me actually liking someone? Sounds fake, I just like the validation that I'm not complete trash.
I'm internally screaming right now because the one day I decide to wear makeup I keep crying. My eyelashes are clumping together and I cannot. I refuse.
Do you ever see the sun and you're like ... Man, I'd love to punch it because same. I want to punch the sun so hard. My only chance to be fist-kissed by a hottie.
I feel bad that I don't recycle. I just can't be inspired to do it because I still feel terrible about life after doing so. [throws water bottle in recycling bin] Oh look, I still have depression!
I want to have a flowery aesthetic... I need a group of friends that are always willing to take pictures of frolicking through flower fields.
I love the fact that no one really knows anything about me, but it also makes me kind of sad at the same time. What is my legacy besides being the mysterious and hot one?
The only person in this world who will never break my heart is education connection lady. She's still in 2009 singing about her education experience and I refuse to believe anything different.
I've spent 10 hours of my life listening to the education connection song. If I don't make it to college, then I may as well just die.
Other people around me are always like "I LOVE YOU! OMG, I LOVE YOU!" Meanwhile I'm just eating my imaginary popcorn thinking about how much I hate everyone.
I'm eating five hour old chicken nuggets and I'm sad. I don't think I'll finish them... I have to throw them away... This is probably the worst thing I've ever done in my life.
A while ago we had an assignment in character design class to design an extra character for selected cartoon TV shows. I chose The Amazing World of Gumball cause that was the last cartoon on the list I kinda watched until I cut my cable haha.
I liked how i could pretty much design anything for this show so i went with a trash can character. I was originally going to just draw a trash can until someone said it’d be better/funnier if i just took pictures of a trash can and drew stick legs/a face on it. I dunno if listening to that was a big mistake lol.
So yeah, this is Eddie! Hes an overzealous, tree hugging recycling bin that goes around terrorizing kids when they dont throw their trash away, or dont throw their trash in the right cans. :’D (think of him like the ‘hall monitor’ type of kid)
I also discovered that i cant draw Gumball at all hahaha.
Bad Juju (as my mother calls it) is when you’ve attracted negative/heavy energy. This can be just not regularly cleansing, others casting the energy onto you, or visiting places that attract negative energy (busy public transportation stations, graveyards, toxic work environment, etc.). This can really put stress onto you, such as creating bad dreams, accumulation of small and annoying incidents, and just constant bad days. Here’s what I what do to get rid of this juju HARD:
1) Clean your entire living space. Whether it is an apartment or house: CLEAN. If your bad juju is particularly bad, DEEP-CLEAN. Wash your floors, deep clean your carpets, scrub those countertops. Act like you’re about to get a ton of guests over in a very short amount of time. Do laundry also!
2) Purge. Throw out expired food, trash, recycling, etc. Yes, it can be part of cleaning, but this is important. My mother and I used to throw out the dirty mop water from our windows before I moved out into an apartment. Now, I throw out my trash at the end of every clean session.
3) Burn cleansing incense. Sage (white or different variation), Palo Santo, Sweetgrass, Patcholi, or any other incense that makes you feel clean. Burn this after you’re done cleaning.
4) Listen to witch playlists or instrumentals that get you going. There’s plenty of these playlists on Youtube. I love listening to Slavic Drums and songs while I clean, as the drums really get me motivated.
5) Cleanse your bed. Take out the sheets, pillow cases, and blanket/comforter. Wash them all and/or replace with new sheets, pillow cases, and blanket/comforter. Then, dose your bed with sage or palo santo. I prefer palo santo as it’s easier to obtain and more ethical than sage.
6) Take a shower/bath and cleanse. By this point, you have worked up a sweat. Not only is a shower great, but you can visualize cleansing yourself in the shower/bath. Ultimately, you need to unwind and relax.
7) Meditate. If you can or want to, meditation really helps. Guided meditations are on Youtube. I personally listen to instrumentals and visualize peaceful places and really concentrate on the details of the location. 15 minutes minimum.
8) Drink water. Hydration is very, very important. A natural cleanser for your body, but it will really help with relaxing and feeling clean and better.
I welcome you to add more to the list and you can add/change to your own routine! I’m also interested in hearing how other people get rid of bad juju! :)