How can i improve khushoo in salah?
There are many ways to improve one’s kushoo and this is partly attained throughout a long process. Here are some points I myself have found to be very effective and the more you get into the routine of this the easier it will be.
1. Prepare yourself before salaah meaning do your wudhu with caution, clean the prayer room, wear beautiful prayer clothes since this is something the prophet salallahu alayhi wassalaam prescribed. Bring that kind of awareness back to you that you re going to stand before Allah as if it is your last prayers. Many people fail to internalise sometimes that salaat is like a very important meeting with Allah.
2. Preparing one’s self for prayer can also mean motivating one’s self before or calming down. Like, take as much as you want before the prayer to maybe reflect on the Qur'an. Sit onto your prayer mat and go through the meaning of the surahs you want to recite. Or simply sit there to collect yourself.
3. Salaah becomes more important the more you revolve your day around Islam and its ibadah. I know, this is not always possible because some of us are not always home but at school and work. But it can mean simple things. Reciting a few pages of the Quran in the morning and evening, doing your adhkar when you wake up or before you go to sleep. Listening to Quran when you go somewhere. All these things can help you to bring back that ‘islamic’ feelings back to you.
4. Other than that you can change something about the way you used pray. What I mean with this is that one must maybe start to to lengthen their prayers and instead of just praying 4 fardh rakaat without dhikr afterwards, add the recommended sunnah prayers to it.
The prophet salallahu alayhi wassalaam said:
Allah will build a house in Heaven for whoever is diligent in observing 12 Sunnah Rak'aat (as follows): 4 Rak'aat before and 2 after the Dhuhr (Midday) Prayer, 2 after the Maghrib (Sunset Prayer), 2 after the ‘Ishaa’ (Evening) Prayer and 2 before the Fajr (Dawn) Prayer.“ Hadith sahih narrated by at-Tirmidhi No. 379 and by others. Hadith No. 6183 in Sahih al-Jaami’.
I think this is very effective for those among us who have the tendency to rush through salaah. It will cause you to have more discipline, and increase your concentration.
4. Learn new surahs with meaning by heart. It can be either a surah that you really like and that makes you feel very emotional, or you can memorize the recommend 30 juzz, the last 20? pages of the Qur'an and strengthen your memory by constantly reciting in in salaah.
I personally think that the longer one’s are very helpful because again you don’t have the option to rush through your prayer.
5. A small thing I also wanted to mention is music. Music is so toxic for salaah, there were so many times I would hear some random music before and it would exactly play inside my head when I would start salaah.
That’s all that I had found to be effective in a way. For the ones who know more, can add their tips to it. Maybe you should also look into the book 'inner dimensions of prayer’.