1) Do you have a certain place at home for reading? At my place? theeeee bed. Sometimes my computer chair if I’m looking for references and/or got sucked into something I just meant to glance at. (Right now I’m at my parents’ house and there are a lot of super cozy places to read here <3 outside on the porch swing, aaah <3)
2) Bookmark or random piece of paper? I buy a ridiculous amount of cute bookmarks for someone who can’t even be buggered to find a scrap paper to use. I usually use the jacket cover.
3) Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter/a certain amount of pages? I don’t. Like. I just don’t stop. Until my bladder and/or stomach are screaming in agony and can no longer be ignored. They I usually find a stopping point at end of scene.
4) Do you eat or drink while reading? sd;lkfj;lk I think sometimes I INTEND to? XD and then just forget and end up with half a cup of cold coffee six hours later.
5) Music or TV while reading? NOPE
6) Reading at home or everywhere? Again, I like to bring books with me places because I super duper INTEND to read them, and then I can’t or don’t. :\ They’re comfort objects while traveling.
7) Do you read ahead or even skip pages? Usually not, unless I’m flipping through a new book to see if I’ll like it.
8) Breaking the spine or keeping it like new? Listen. I’m…. I’m not a good person. I can’t have nice things. I hurt the books I love. I make many ‘adjustments’ to books for the sake of my comfort while reading them one handed and propped on a stack of pillows. I dog ear pages I want to remember for future reference. I bend spines. I abuse jacket covers. I kiss pages. I read with sticky fingers. I leave books splayed open instead of marking my place. I sleep with books on the bed. I toss them to the nearest flat surface instead of getting up. I stuff them in bags and purses. I carry them in my mouth if I don’t have a hand free. I drink coffee near and over books with no great care. I stack them in precarious places. I AM THE DANGER
9) Do you write in your books? I used to write whole dissertations in the margins of books I was super engaged with, like The Count of Monte Cristo, or little love notes in the corners of books or manga. Sometimes I’d just doodle on spare parts of the page because I was trying to focus, or underline things that felt important. I don’t as much any more, but I think that’s because I impulse-blog about everything nowadays. XD Or I’ll transcribe important passages into a text file on account of me being a huge nerd and also because I really enjoy transcription.
so last night i was rereading house proud by astolat, aka the best harry potter fic there ever ever was, & then i started having Thoughts about hp wizards being the descendants of the fae cuz it just makes!! so much sense!!!
i am perpetually disappointed by so much of jkr’s world-building but this in particular bothers me so much cause like
she placed so much emphasis on blood lines & ~purity but the only ever used it as a shite allegory for racism
u know who gives a thousand shits about blood lines? the fae. u know who goes to great lengths to exist separately from humans? the fae. u know whose society is split into groups based on personality? the fae!!
the evolution of wizarding society makes so much more sense!! if u interpret them as being fae adapting to the changing world!!!