Can you tell me more about why HSUS is bad? I knew about PETA but never heard about HSUS issues!
The gist of it is that they have the same agenda as PETA - get rid of all “use” of animals by humans, including pets. They just aren’t nearly as vocal or violent about it as PETA is.
- They hide behind celebrity-laden ads with sad-eyed puppies and kittens and slow, sad songs to get your sympathy, but then donate less than 1% of your money to shelters. Instead, the money gets spent on CEO salaries, lobbyists, and lawyers. They also offer “educational” programs which are much more like indoctrination against animal agriculture or any use of animals, which you must also pay to attend. CharityWatch has given them a “D” grade, which is the lowest you can get. In fact, a very recent lawsuit forced them to re-register themselves as “lobbying organization” instead of a charity since they give so little of their profits to the cause they claim to promote. The CEO simply says “We never said we funded animal shelters.”
- Their CEO has said that “we have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding,” and “In fact, I don’t want to see another dog or cat born.”
- They crap on no-kill shelters, saying that they lower the bar for potential adoptive parents, but then the CEO personally delivered a dog to Michael Vick, who has spent time in jail for multiple counts of animal cruelty related to dog fighting (including beating them, drowning them, hanging them, shooting them, and electrocuting them), saying that he was a good guy and “would do a good job as a pet owner.”
- Their senior management includes a guy who used to be a member of a group called the “Animal Liberation Front” that earned a spot on the FBI’s criminal terrorist list when they blew up a meat processing plant in California. This guy remains a supporter of that group, saying he was “ecstatic” when the group proceeded to set fire to a farm in Utah and ended up killing the sleeping family.
- They are radically anti-animal agriculture. In their minds, cows and pigs should be set free or be non-existant.
- They are also radically anti-animal testing.
Basically, if you want to donate to help animals, definitely don’t go with PETA or HSUS. Just donate directly to your local humane society or shelter.