Night Vale Hogwarts AU
- Cecil is the Slytherin prefect and quiditch commentator who’s so kind and goes so far out of his way to be friendly that no one can quite understand how he’s not a Hufflepuff.
- At least, until they see what he did to his dorm-mates who were harassing muggleborns. It wasn’t pretty.
- There’s a group of first and second years who can be found following Cecil around and always seem to get into accidents. Again, no one is quite sure if he encourages this, or if he simply can’t stop them and is a bit careless about practicing dangerous spells when the kids are around.
- Carlos is a muggleborn slowly learning to accept the impossibilities of Hogwarts and stop bringing the geiger counter to breakfast already. His fellow Ravenclaws are all for scientific curiosity, but they’re trying to eat their cereal, dammit.
- Carlos plays keeper, and is actually pretty good. Or at least he would be, if Cecil didn’t keep putting him off by commenting on his perfect hair or beautiful saves. It takes a year of this very public, very one sided flirting, before they go on a date to Hogsmeade.
- They never actually make it as far as Hogsmeade. There’s this whole thing with the giant squid and… well, it’s not ideal, but Carlos kisses Cecil after he pulls him from the water, and his hair is even more perfect when it’s wet if that’s possible, so it’s all okay.
- Old Woman Josie (that’s Professor Ortiz to you) is the housemistress of Gryffindor, but she has a soft spot for Cecil. Meaning he only gets away with half his bullshit.
- Cecil has a black cat that everyone loves. It’s often found wandering the castle to be petted or sprawled across Carlos’ table in the library when he’s trying to work. Josie is the only one who knows that the cat is actually Cecil’s animagus form. And she will never tell him that she knows
- Tamika Flynn is a second year Gryffindor who seemingly never leaves the library, despite her utter loathing of Madame Prince. (It’s mutual, trust me.) Everyone is sure she should be in Ravenclaw until they see her take down the troll that broke into the castle one halloween.
- She and Cecil have a sort of grudging mutual respect after this. House rivalries are too strong for anything else but… well, if death eaters ever came calling, they’d have each others backs.
- Carlos still wants to be an ordinary muggle scientist. Cecil just can’t understand why, when there’s a whole magical world at his fingertips. Carlos isn’t sure he understands himself.
- Cecil gets his first tattoo on his sixteenth birthday, in an old shop on Knockturn alley that don’t care how old he is. It’s an eye that starts on the back of his hand, but seems to move around his body of it’s own free will. Carlos is sure the damn thing is always winking at him.
He totally loves it.