Last night’s supermoon appears as a huge, glowing orb over Cronan Ranch. At nearby Sutter’s Mill, the discovery of gold started the California gold rush. Now, the area is famous as one of the most popular whitewater rivers in the United States, and also features 12 miles of trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing and bird watching. If you missed the moon last night, be sure to check out moonrise tonight, which is projected to be equally spectacular. Photo by Bob Wick, @mypubliclands.
Photographs of serial killer Leonard Lake’s remote ranch in Calaveras county, California, where he settled after skipping bail for a firearms violation . It was here that him and his partner in crime, Charles Ng, would take the people that they abducted, and where they would torture, sexually assault, rape and murder them.
It was on the grounds of this ranch that police managed to exhume 12 bodies, which consisted of at least two whole families. The women of these families had been tortured and sexually assaulted before their murders, while their husbands and children had been disposed of immediately. The police also found bodies of men that the pair had lured to the ranch and robbed, before murdering them.
Leonard Lake never faced a trial for these horrific crimes as he completed suicide shortly after he was apprehended, biting down on a cyanide pill that he brought with him to the police station.
* Due to its brutal reputation, your town had to change its name. The old name bubbles to the surface, from time to time, belching out of the ground when no one will say it. It’s very loud, but no one can hear it. Except you.
* Every year, today, the island is covered with white birds, one for each of the indians who they killed. Every year, one more bird.
* The railroad is halted due to a landslide, but service will be restored shortly. The railroad repair is halted due to a landslide, but should resume shortly. The rescue team is halted due to a landslide, but…
* Even after they drove the Chinese out of the town at gunpoint, everyone remembers where Chinatown was. No one wants to live there. Not because there are ghosts, but because the ghosts have gone off to a better life in San Francisco, haunting real high end properties, and we’re still here.
* You meet a village of tiny elves living in the stump of a tree, but it turns out they just want to sell you weed.
* When the first Spanish explorer landed, he planted a cross on top of the hill. It’s still there. Each year, it’s gets stronger.
* Due to a tragic series of landslides, rail service has been cancelled for the foreseeable future. Please refrain from using the rail ties for scrap, as they are haunted by vengeful spirits.
* In the attic, you find a picture of your grandfather, holding a line of scalps, thumbs up, smiling.
* They flooded the workers in the bottom of the mine to save on wages. Even now, if you go at midnight, you can hear them organizing an underworld union.
* Your local school refuses to have a state history curriculum, on the grounds that it will drive men mad.
* The indians called it a forbidden valley. The settlers called it bad luck. Now we call it a cancer cluster. When you go to sleep there, you dream of all the dead children.
* The tree is taller than you. It’s taller than your house. It’s tall enough that you can’t see the top. It’s tall enough that you can’t reach the top. It reaches upward, upward, into space, never ending.
* There are lizards and rats that live only in the trees, a secret society, disdaining the earth. At night, they observe you, writing reports for their superiors.
* The university has a local history room. You cannot go to the local history room. Do not ask about the local history room. Your name has been noted down, and you can expect a visit from our agents shortly.
* The local city council refuses to apologize for the massacre on the grounds of an ancient indian curse makes it even.
* In the woods, under the trees, the growers keep their pot plants. Under the pot plants, the other growers grow a different weed, that grows up red and whispers of vengeance.
* The bay mud is full of old cars, because the best mechanics are slithering things, not quite human, below the mud. Plus, free oil change.
* Your sister, who we don’t discuss, has run off to join the geese.
* All links to the outside world have been halted, due to a landslide, but service will be restored shortly.
California Chicken Flatbread with Chipotle Ranch Sauce
Prep time 15 mins Cook time 15 mins Total time 30 mins California chicken flatbread with juicy chicken, bacon, avocado, red peppers, cilantro, and creamy chipotle ranch sauce! Author: Tiffany Recipe type: Main Dish / Appetizer Cuisine: American Serves: 4 Ingredients
1 large flatbread or naan, or 2 small (I used Stonefire brand- my favorite!)
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or any other favorite cheese such as monterey jack or pepperjack for a spicier version)
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded to ½ inch thickness + salt and pepper to taste
oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Cook
in a pan or skillet on the stove over medium-high heat for about 3-4
minutes each side or until cooked through. Dice chicken and set aside.
flatbread with olive oil. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Top with
chicken, red peppers, and bacon. Place on a lightly greased sheet of
foil and bake on the oven rack for 10-15 minutes until cheese is
flatbread is baking, whisk together ranch dressing and chipotle
seasoning. When flatbread is finished baked, top with avocado, cilantro,
and crushed red pepper flakes. Drizzle with chipotle ranch dressing and
Notes *This recipe is written as an appetizer that will feed four. If you want to use this recipe for a main dish, double the recipe!!
the sauce, you can use any brand of storebought chipotle seasoning or a
homemade version. If you have neither, you can drizzle the ranch
dressing straight up!
Meet Ruby! Had this sweet girl not been rescued from a pasture-based pig farm, she would have been slaughtered for food. Luckily she was rescued and now she spends her days at animalplace enjoying mud baths and bossing everyone around!