I finally made my own little terrarium! I added tiny spooky props because I live and breathe Halloween all year long. It’s simple to create, inexpensive, and adds a lot of character to your living space.
Here’s what you need to make one:
1. Empty glass container
I got mine at the dollar store (bonus points for pumpkin shape!)
2. Small rocks/pebbles to fill the bottom of the container
Pet stores. Mine are left over from my aquarium.
3. Add a layer of charcoal or activated carbon.
I bought a jar from walmart for 3 bucks. This helps maintain the life of the moss.
4. Add a layer of sphagnum moss so the soil won’t travel to the bottom of the container. Purchased this at the dollar store in a bag, it is dried up though.
Wet the moss separately and squeeze to drain the water. Squish the moss almost like a pancake with your hands and cover the entire surface area on top of the pebbles/charcoal.
5. Add a layer of soil.
6. Add your moss! I found mine in my back yard. Moss thrive in damp environments. Check near rocks, trees, pathways, etc. Best to look on a damp day. Just dig and lift with a butter knife or small shovel
6. Decorate your terrarium! This is where you get creative :)
I picked up the gravestones at Michael’s. Part of the Lemax Spookytown collection. The skull was a part of a necklace from the dollar store and the bones were also from the dollar store. I broke off the arms from a skeleton accessory.
Voila! Now you have your own terrarium :)