Arrow 5x23 “Lian Yu” After Thoughts
Not only someone ( @almondblossomme was it you?) had called it already but all the hint’s about an explosion and a big cliffhanger pointed in this general direction.
Lian Yu was blown up and like I posted last night we are yet again involved in a Schrodinger’s cat kind of experience.
To does that don’t know the Schrodinger’s cat theory. It’s basic physics, if you take a cat and close it inside a box with “a Geiger counter, there is a tiny bit of radioactive substance, so small, that perhaps in the course of the hour one of the atoms decays, but also, with equal probability, perhaps none; if it happens, the counter tube discharges and through a relay releases a hammer that shatters a small flask of hydrocyanic acid” (taken from Wikipedia). We are unable to see the cat, hence the cat is neither alive nor dead (to our knowledge) until we open the box.
That’s pretty much what Season 5 Arrow left us with. We know Oliver and William are alive; we know Chase is dead; as for the rest (all of them) only when we open the “box” aka Season 6 will we know if they are dead or alive.
I’m use to cliffhangers, we all are. As I said before, a cliffhanger with Oliver survival was mute so it had to be someone else.They decided it should be everyone else… I’m okay with it…
As for the episode I’ll be honest things came in so fast I felt I didn’t even have time to process and lose my head over them before the next one came on. I truly was the person trying to catch up and forever getting there just late enough to be blown away by the next big shock.
Let’s dig in.
Team Oliver (He didn’t had the mask on so Oliver)
Working with opponents takes finding common ground. Oliver and Slade found common ground in their son’s. They are both father’s; they both want their son’s safe and with them; that’s common ground, one both Slade and Oliver can live with.
Nyssa and Malcolm made me laugh. I loved their bickering.
No one was surprised by the plane being blown up. Note to writers: In a fic I hid the plane over on the Amazo, Oliver should have been a bit more clever.
The Team splitting up made sense. The trap was too predictable. Harkness betrayal, not so much, I always thought Slade would betray Oliver. I guess it took me a while to think about how there was no point in bringing Harkness to the foil, except for him to be the traitor. Harkness has no personal connection to Oliver, all the other Team Oliver members do. I get the writers, they do not wanted Slade to betray Oliver but someone had to, hence Harkness.
Everyone is shocked to see Slade, especially Thea. She already has to endure Malcolm Merlyn being there; Slade killed her mother, right in front of her and Oliver. Thea doesn’t have the connection Oliver has with Slade, a connection that is hard for Oliver to explain to her.
But Oliver needs Felicity (for his sake) and Samantha (for William’s sake) safe he’s counting on Thea to pull through in managing just that, getting herself to safety in the process… I see you Oliver Queen, I see you
Lian Yu is a constant surprise. Turns out it has a LoA type of monastery on it
Okay let’s just go with that as this is the perfect setting for Talia vs Nyssa.
Loved their fight. We got to understand a bit more on the sister’s relationship. Talia left, leaving Nyssa to deal alone with their abusive father. She feels betrayed by Talia; Talia feels like she did what she had to do.
Talia accusing her sister of allying herself with their father’s murderer would have been the perfect moment for Nyssa to answer something along the lines “the man our father chose to impose as my husband” but Nyssa doesn’t even mention it; it’s like it never happened. Marc told us that the “marriage” thing would be dealt with I don’t think this was it… I fear for Nyssa survival at this point.
Nyssa beat Talia though and that was huge. Granted Talia’s minions would have given Talia some advantage back, so I was very glad Slade showed up.
Talking about Slade. People that followed my live watching know the all betrayal thing felt off to me. And it was. I really liked Slade.
In my “What we know What we expect” I expressed the wish that Oliver would have been the one taking the gadget Curtis made for Dinah . The gadget protects her from any soundwave blocker and it was left lying on the ground when Curtis was taken
Turns out it was Oliver that took it and the only way he can get it to her is by being caught. Hence Slade “betrayal”. Deemed as a friend by BS Slade also has more freedom of movements but he can’t find William.
The battle we all have been waiting for starts. Chase vs Oliver or Team Chase vs part of Team Oliver.
I’m very glad they did the Flashback fight with Kovar parallel with the fight with Chase.
We get the opportunity to really watch how Oliver evolved in these 5 years. He’s so very different. He finds other ways
He has been struggling to find other ways since the beginning of Season 2 but it’s now, end of Season 5, that that evolution becomes final. After 2x01 Oliver later on returned to the old habits; that’s not going to happen anymore. Season 5 finishes that cycle.
Chase tries every trick, he uses William, to force Oliver to kill, but Oliver finds another way, every time. Chase meets the end by his own hand; mimicking what Robert Queen did
Chase is a psychopat by killing himself he destroys Oliver’s world completly…
GIF credit @arrowsource
All of Oliver’s friends and family, except William, are, as far as Oliver knows, dead.
Oliver trusts his Team, he trusts them to save themselves, but believing that they survived must be close to impossible as the all Island is blown up and Oliver knows it was impossible for the Team to have gotten to the ARGUS plane in such a short time.
Oliver is crushed. He holds on to William as they face a future they have to tackle together without anyone else.
We know that really isn’t going to happen, we know some people will survive, both friends and foes (Yes Chase’s Team was also in the Island) but that’s us, the viewers, not Oliver the character.
He fought 5 years to let go of the Island, he fought 5 years to get all his humanity back and now he’s alone in his humanity, all his world gone.
GIF credit @arrowsource
You can say there wasn’t much and you would be right, there wasn’t, on the surface.
GIF credit @amanitacaplan
The little exchange wasn’t much but it was everything at the same time because it’s a promise of moving forward
GIFs credit @amanitacaplan
Slade call’s Oliver up on him not being married to Felicity
GIF credit @westallenolicitygifs
And even Chase knows exactly who truly matters to Oliver (and William) in that Island
GIF credit @songbin
That kiss, that promised talked will haunt Oliver until Felicity is found.
And she will, for the more doubtful, she will because there’s no way Oliver would get back from losing her. Chase knew that; he kills himself because that’s his last move on the game, Oliver won’t survive as the Oliver we know now without Felicity. Without her he will lose it, without her he will go either on a killing rampage or a suicidal path, so killing her is Chase last move; he kills himself in order to win. The only way the show can ensure that Chase doesn’t win is by keeping Felicity alive.
And Olicity will have that talk. A talk that the simple nod of Felicity agreeing to having it made Oliver smile
GIF credit @gothsmoak
He may be dead or alive but one thing’s sure Malcolm sacrificed his well being for Thea.
It was a surprising thing to watch happen as usually Malcolm sees to himself first, not this time, this time Thea took precedence.
And Thea fells, at last, that she does have a father in Malcolm. In the end he came through.
My heart feels for Lance but I’m so very happy he understood that that woman isn’t his daughter.
Quentin was key, first by validating Black Canary Dinah
GIF credit @arrowsource
Second by taking down BS
GIF credit @gothsmoak
And that blow felt like a release; it was heart felt, you just have to look at Lance’s face.
I loved Slade Wilson. Turns out he’s still the foe that knows Oliver the best.
He’s on point about Oliver letting go of his guilt about his father’s death. He’s on point that this is a difficult thing to do but Oliver needs to do it.
Slade knows how it is, he speaks from experience. He knows perfectly well what damage he did to Oliver by killing Moira which in turn makes him appreciate even more the fact that Oliver comes to him for help.
Maybe Slade will betray Oliver (if Slade survives) maybe he won’t but one thing I am sure of, Oliver will find Slade’s son; he will reunite him with his father, even if Slade is dead I think Oliver will do it.
- It’s going to be a hard Summer but I feel like the cliffhanger was a bit overkill to us viewers. For Oliver, the character, he’s in Hell at the moment; for us we know many in that Island survived. They have to or the show would have to start all over again. Not impossible but as the news from Season 6 gets public we already know John Diggle (David Ramsey), computer-science expert Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards), his vigilante-trained sister Thea Queen (Willa Holland), Deputy Mayor Quentin Lance (Paul Blackthorne), brilliant inventor Curtis Holt (Echo Kellum), and his new recruits, street-savvy Rene Ramirez (Rick Gonzalez) and meta-human Dinah Drake (Juliana Harkavy) and BS survived.
- The episode (that I have to rewatch) was so fast paced it was hard to keep track of everything happening without my head spinning and I loved it
- Moira scene was sweet but it was kind of lost in all the madness.
- If I’m seeing correctly (and I confess I may be partial on this) after what I saw yesterday BS has no redemption possible. The only heart that she could get to was Quentin’s and it was clear he’s not having any of it.
- Flashbacks powered up current timeline to perfection. That view of what it seems to be Kovar’s body was on point.
- Oliver finally get’s to hold his son without hiding he’s his father.
- I’m curious to see what they are going for in Season 6. We already have a few information flowing in here . It doesn’t say much but what it does tells us Oliver will go back to Star City and be Mayor, and the Team will still be the Team we know. Over the hiatus the cliffhanger will be solved or at least handled in order to be solved in 6x01.
- I love this show. I love the GA / Oliver Queen the show produced. It’s a man I can respect; not a playboy jackass like he was 10 years ago but a Man set on doing the best he can and live with honor after the Hell he lived for 5 years forced him to be a monster. He doesn’t let his past define him, not anymore, and I’m very excited to watch him live this new life, a life he fully deserves.
- Haters accuse everyone of us that Olicity ruined GA; they love the GA from Comics I respect that, but I love this version of adult, respectful, grown up, deserving Oliver Queen better; was it Olicity that make it so? It helped, I have no doubt it help but only because Oliver Queen himself didn’t want to get back being what he was before, he wanted to be better, and he is. I’m so very very happy to have witness this journey.
And that’s it for Season 5. I won’t say it wasn’t rocky it was… there are characters I wish never existed, there are episode that will always, ALWAYS, make me vomit a little but in the end it all came together nicely.
Thank you all for following my ramblings. I’ll be around, I won’t go away, I’ll just concentrate on my long fic, long overdue long fic, and share any news on the show that crosses my way. Feel free to tag me and give me shout out’s whenever you want.
(GIF not mine found it on the web)
@vaelisamaza | @hope-for-olicity | @tdgal1 | @bindy417 | @supersillyanddorky06 | @emmaamelia95 | @coal000 | @miriam1779|@felicityollies | @eilowyn1 | @jules85 | @scu11y22 | @quant-um-fizzx | @memcjo | @dmichellewrites | @bringbackianto |@laurabelle2930 | @oli-feli | @oliverfel4 | @mel-loves-all | @spaztronautwriter| @cruzrogue | @bekaoperetta | @charlinert | @almondblossomme | @oliverdant | @felicitys | @fadinglands | @nalla-madness | @onceuponarrow | @leonie1988 | @stygian-omada-fan | @dust2dust34