Ways to develop love for Allah:
1) Reciting Qur'ān, reflecting and understanding its meaning and content
2) Drawing closer to Allāh - the Most High - through optional deeds, after fulfilling the obligatory duties
3) Being continuous in the dhikr [remembrance] of Allah, with the tongue, the heart and the limbs - under all circumstances.
4) Giving precedence to what Allāh loves over personal loves, when being overcome by desires.
5) Contemplating and deliberating over the Names and attributes of Allah.
“And set forth to them parable of the life of this world: like water which We send down from the sky” [18:45].
❝The wise men have said: Allāh سبحانه وتعالى compared the Dunyā with Water:
1. Because water doesn’t remain fixed in 1 spot, likewise the Dunyā doesn’t remain fixed in 1 situation.
2. Because water goes away & doesn’t stay, so likewise with the Dunyā, it will vanish and won’t stay.
3. Because no one is able to enter the water without getting wet, and likewise with the Dunyā, no one is safe from its Fitnah and harm.
4. Because if water was at a specific amount, it would be beneficial and cause growth, and if it exceeds that amount, it would be harmful and destructive, likewise with the Dunyā, a sufficient means of living is beneficial, and meddling oneself too much (in the Dunyā) brings harm.❞
Ibnul-Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah said: Al-Huzn (الحزن) sadness has not come within the Qur'ān except being prohibited or negated.
As for it being a prohibition it is like His, Exalted be He, statement:
And do not be weak nor be sad (Surah Āli ‘Imrān 3:139)
And His statement:
And do not grieve over them (Surah
And his statement:
Do not be sad, for indeed Allāh is with us (Surah
As for the negation it is like His statement:
No sadness will be upon them nor will they grieve (Surah
The subtle reasoning behind this is that sadness is something which should not be traversed upon and there is no benefit in it for the heart. The most beloved thing to Shaytān is that he causes the servant to be sad in order that he may cut him off in his journey and cause him to stop in his path.
The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said, ”Whoever recites a letter from Allah’s Book, then he receives the reward for it, and the reward of ten the like of it. I do not say that Alif Lam Meem is a letter, but Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Meem is a letter.”