“The Dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of its strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars.”
i. things truly do happen for a reason and they coincide with the things that don’t go the way you had planned.
ii. you can’t make someone feel a certain way. you have to accept how they feel and move on one way or another.
iii. don’t let your emotions control you, but don’t ignore them either. you might miss out on something, or someone, wonderful.
iv. you meet certain people for a reason. they may walk into your life to make it better or cause chaos but they will always teach you a lesson. they don’t always stay and that is okay.
v. live in the moment. be present. notice the small things like the sound of a passing car, the ticking of a watch, the singing of the cicadas.
vi. be good and do good. don’t expect anything in return.
vii. everything will be okay. even if it’s not right now.
viii. breathe. your mental health is just as important as your physical health. don’t let any part of you suffer for any reason and if you need to take some time for yourself, do it. it’s okay to put yourself first.
things i have learned in the 210 days i’ve known him (l.d.e)
1. you will find someone who loves you as a whole for who you are. do not settle for less, wait for them. it’s worth it.
2. it’s okay to grow apart from your friends. you’re not always going to stay close to the same people. appreciate the ones who make an effort to stay a part of your life.
3. sometimes you’ll feel down about your life; like you’re not doing as well as the people around you seem to be. that’s okay. everybody struggles. everybody goes at their own pace. life is not a race.
4. immerse yourself in the things you love. whether that’s the music you listen to, your hobbies, your job, your friends - keep these things close to your heart, don’t let anyone take them away from you.
5. find a way to love your everyday life. make time for the things that make you happy. don’t sit around waiting for good things to come, make your days good.
6. you will still get down. you will still get sad. don’t allow yourself to sit and wallow. learn to lift yourself out of the sadness.
7. move on from all the shitty people and situations you involved yourself in last year. even if they come back and apologize. not everyone deserves second chances, don’t give them to people who ruined your year.
8. learn to love yourself. maybe not entirely, maybe not all at once, but fall in love with pieces of yourself. learn to change the things you don’t like. you have more control of your life than you think you do.
9. don’t be scared to try new things or meet new people. you might fall in love with something or someone you never would’ve thought twice about.
10. start living life for yourself. not your parents. not your friends. not your significant other. do the things you love unapologetically. don’t let anyone tell you it’s wrong or take it away from you.
11. don’t take the little things for granted. love and appreciate the things that give you pleasure, no matter how small they seem.
12. don’t be afraid to feel things. don’t be scared of the sadness. don’t be weary of the happiness. feel things wholly and completely. don’t shy away from them.
13. some things aren’t meant to last forever, enjoy them while they’re there.
14. learn from every experience and relationship you have, even the bad ones. be able to walk away a better person because of them.
15. don’t let anyone else be in control of your happiness. don’t put your feelings on other people. it’s up to you and only you to know how to make yourself happy.
16. that doesn’t mean other people won’t make you happy, they should and they will. just know that you can still be happy when they’re not around. they’re not all the happiness you’re capable of.
17. don’t put up with people who make you feel like you’re hard to love. there are people who love you entirely as you are. make sure you keep them close.