Burrito Reviews: Regular Show Season 8 (final season)
Regular Show is done. After seven years of surrealistic stories, the crew decided to serialize the final season into a big space adventure with Pops as the main character. It went with a bang, closing almost all stories. But something is pretty sure: we won’t forget one of the best animated series of this decade for sure and part of the Pantheon of 2010 Cartoons.
Serializing Regular Show was a big change that went well in order to tell the final story properly. There were lots of fourth wall breaks and demolitions, meta moments, emotion, fun, references/parodies and licensed songs. New characters, like Rawls or even one-hit-wonders like Roxy, were nice additions.
The introduction of the first half had many good episodes, mostly funny ones (Lost and Found, Can You Hear Me Now?) but also deep and emotional ones (Stuck in an Elevator, The Dream Warrior, Welcome to Space), and don’t forget the action ones (The Space Race, The Brain of Evil, Cool Bro Bots).
On the second part the serialization was notorious with the quest of the key to the Universe, in which emotional and action moments took the lead on the arc while Pops found out the purpose of his existance and why his sibling was hunting him.
The finale left us with our jabs on the floor. Killing off a main character is a huge and polemic move. But it was the final episode, anything could happen and believe me that everything happened on those three part episode. Obviously it hit right on everyone’s feels not only with those scenes, but also with the future moments after the Park musicalized with David Bowie’s Heroes.
At least 80% of the main and secondary characters got their stories closed. There was some controversy on how it was handled (I’m watching at Pops, Benson, Mordecai, CJ, Thomas’ endings eh), but in general they were okay. There was also time of self-criticism/fans point of view on Meet The Seer, or some epic meta moments on No Train No Gain and Christmas in Space.
This final season had heavy stories. But @bentonconnor/ @yeaboiiiii duet did the best episodes (without counting the finale, that isn’t rated). First, Space Escape had all kinds of emotions in 11 minutes giving us the heaviest moment to end the first part of the season. And second, Meet The Seer broke the fourth wall like never in the show (it was broken after that episode, but The Seer analysis was incredible). Special mentions to @oweeeeendennis /Sean Glaze for the amazing The Space Race, and @madelinequeripel /Alex Cline for the beatiful, emotional Welcome To Space.
Voice acting was great as usual, and Robert Englund (aka Freddie Krueger) joined the party as Anti Pops/Malum Kranus that was pretty well done.
Storyboarder Madeleine Queripel did a series of comics with Margaret Smith as the main character called “Dear Eileen”. They were letters written to Eileen about things that happened in Earth while she was on Earth. According to her creator, those were non-canon, but I think they were nice aditions to the main story in space.
On the finale, we could see the return of Andrés Salaff as a storyboarder after three years (he went to work on Adventure Time and voice Princess on Harvey Beaks). And do you remember that smooth animatic of Anti Pops rising? It was animated by the one and only Jaaaaaaames Baxter. The day of the finale, Regular Show was trending topic on every social media: Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook… Even on Google+ (?).
The last season of Regular Show was the end of not only a seven-year series, but also of a process that began on late Season 6 which was the strong development of many characters:
Rigby finally matured, dated Eileen and got his GED. He became more serious, although he still did some dumb things, and made better decisions. And his dad was finally proud of him!
Mordecai recognised he was depressed and began a road to overcome it. It took him many years, but he could do it and he finally found a life partner (Steff the bat)
Pops had to leave his comfort zone to save not only the fate of the universe, he had to save his friends. So he chose sacrificing himself
Benson knew Dumptown wasn’t the end of the road and he had to do stuff to leave the depression zone. Also make other know he was the boss and he had to make others to show respect to him, no matter if they were from the Park or out of it
Muscle Man and Fives strengthened their friendship like never before, no matter if there was a fight or a lightning strucked them. They couldn’t be away from each other
Margaret used all her skills to become a very important reporter and then an anchorwoman
Eileen finished her college studies but also found a new, big challenge on space that tested her skills (and she succeeded)
Maellard understood that sacrifices must be done, despite he wasn’t prepared yet to send his son he loved so much to his probably death
Seven years, +250 episodes, a movie, many shorts, comics, loooooots of merch, countless OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHS, threats of fireing, my mom jokes, angry rants, fanciness, awkwardness and punchies. Regular Show left us with an unforgettable bang, like many of the animated shows born on this decade (besides, it left the stick very high for other shows like Adventure Time, that ends next year). I would like to thank all the people who worked on this jolly good show, that was anything but regular, that made me believe again on cartoons after many years. And I wish them good fortune on the projects they’re going to work on.
Hi, I just wondered if you had any advice. I just hit 24 and still have a few of years to go in my school and I already feel too old. Am I? Also, the school Im at sucks (and rhymes with Fart Lintstitute). Am I utterly screwed over in terms of getting a job somewhere like CN? Should I drop out while I still can? Theres no other schools in my state and I think Im worse than these kids, so Im feeling discouraged. And how do I get into storyboarding? I just recently realized its a path I could take.
There are a lot of different things to cover here so I’ll separate them out:
Are you too old?
You’re not too old. This isn’t like Logan’s Run where once you turn thirty you float around in a room where you explode on the ceiling. If it is, I’m in for a very rude awakening in a few months.
My school is shitty, does that mean I’m shitty and will never get a job?
If you think you will get better at your art by not being in school, then by all means, drop out. There’s no reason to put yourself into debt for something that isn’t helping you. I know lots of people that dropped out of school or went to schools that “sucked” that have great careers in this industry.
I’ve got plenty of complaints about my school from when I attended, but I know that overall it helped me even though it’s a lesser known school. A lesser known school, by the way, that produced Toby Jones, Madeline Queripel, Julia Vickerman, and many others that have good careers in animation in other studios.
There’s an unhelpful meme going around that says you can’t get a job in animation unless you go to CalArts. It’s simply not true. I will give you that if you ask someone where they’re from, the school that the most people have in common is CalArts, but the vast majority of people didn’t go there. What’s more likely, that an industry full of thousands and thousands of people only hires from one school even though they get someone from another school or no school submitting to them with high quality work? Or that someone who makes sub-par work has been submitting to studios for years, but they can’t find a job, they’re starting to get bitter, and they’re looking for someone to blame other than themselves so they choose CalArts? This is understandable, and it can feel immensely frustrating when people seem like they don’t take your work seriously. You have this drive and desire to get in, but people keep telling you no without telling you why, or even worse, not responding at all!
Then, on the internet, you have people like me who say things like “Just keep working at it” and “keep submitting! Draw all the time!” This can be somewhat misleading because we want to remain positive and usually leave out the part where we think “Also this process can take anywhere from 1-10 years or more and, if you get offered a job at all, it will most likely be at a small studio working on something you don’t particularly like or care about, but you’ll at least make money and after a couple years of doing that you might move on to something you like a little more!”
For most people, it takes a long time to get into these big studios. It’s intimidating, scary, frustrating, and unfair. It’s unfair because people who know people in the industry have an advantage over you, but that’s also the case in EVERY industry in the world. However, while it’s an advantage, it’s far from a guarantee. If you know people, they let you know when and where there’s a job opening and can vouch for you, but that’s it. People don’t just hire their friends, no weirdo introverted artist showrunner has as many friends as there are jobs to fill. That vouch still can’t actually get you the job. It’s art. If you can’t draw what you’re being asked to draw, it becomes quickly obvious and it’s really the one thing you have to do, so you either won’t be hired or will be out of a job as soon as they’re able to let you go. There’s simply no time for nepotism, we have a schedule and we need to get shit done.
Hell, after you work at a small studio, you might find you don’t even want to work at a big studio and all of this will be moot!
Should I drop out of school? I’m worse than everyone else.
Here’s some questions you should think about: Why do you think you’re worse than your peers? What qualities does their work have that, in your mind, makes it better? Why is that important to you? How could you get those qualities into your work? What separates you from them? What qualities do you have that they don’t have? Will your artistic education be better if you aren’t in school and are able to do things on your own, or will it be better with instruction and learning from other students around you? Is it possible you’re just burned out because this is an intense field of study? Are you actually answering these questions truthfully?
If your work is at least like a 6.5 out of 10 in quality, then all you need is two of these three things:
1) You turn your stuff in on time
2) You’re easy to work with
3) You make incredible work
Neil Gaiman wrote those as a venn diagram and he’s absolutely right. I would say living in the area where you want to be employed also helps, but if you’re good enough, they’ll find a way. Someone who makes great work will always be more obvious to employers and, right out of school, those people tend to get hired first because it’s the easiest quality to look for. However, if that person doesn’t have either of those other two qualities, that person will quickly lose credibility. I would rather hire a workhorse who makes ok art, but I like working with them and they do it on time, than someone who makes the most incredible artwork ever but they never turn their stuff in and they’re an asshole.
Now all that up there is probably reading as a bit of a downer. It’s okay though, everything has its downers and its uppers. That’s why the whole world is so crazy, it’s meds are all mixed up.
You CAN do it. You can. Seriously. People work in TV. Los Angeles isn’t some mythical, faraway land that’s somehow better than where you live. We’re all just a bunch of flawed people, really mediocre people, that have somehow tricked other people into giving us money to make whatever art we want. You can join the rest of us con artists and we’ll accept you as one of our own and we can all trick everyone together.
What is the path for storyboarding?
There are a million and one ways to get into it. It’s more of a branching spider web than a path. I know a lot of people who got into it through comics. If a show runner can quickly read a comic you’ve made, then they know a lot about you: your writing style, your drawing style, your sense of humor, and the fact that you can finish what you start.
Toby got hired because JG said on twitter that he was looking for new board artists. Toby was making comics in his free time, responded to him via Facebook, and sent him some of his comics. That’s how Toby got the job and he immediately moved from Minneapolis to LA to take it.
Before I started school I wanted to do 3D animation, so I went to art school. While there, I found out that I liked 2D animation even more, so I focused on that. It was really hard because while I found I liked the look and idea of 2D more, I didn’t like drawing variations on practically the same thing over and over again for days just to make 4 seconds of animation. There were definitely other animators and artists who were better than me.
I considered dropping out at the end of my junior year. I laid down in the hallway of my apartment and cried while staring at the ceiling and ants crawled all over body (we had an ant problem). I didn’t know if I wanted to keep going through college or drop out. My parents said I sounded burned out. They recommended doing something completely, totally different, that has nothing to do with art or my career over the summer. My mom said she got a job in Yellowstone for a summer when she was in college, so I decided to give that a shot.
So I did! I became a housekeeper in Grant Village in Yellowstone. It was transformative. I met new friends who did things that weren’t related to art, I found new stories from new people, new ways to think. I even met some Chinese people who introduced me to the idea that it’s super easy to get an english teaching job in China if you’re a native speaker, a job I’d never even heard of until they mentioned it.
When it came time to answer whether I wanted to go back to school, my brain had had enough time to recuperate over the summer from doing completely different work. I felt healed and had a lot more insight as to what my life needed. I answered those questions up there and decided that yes, I did still want to finish school.
So I finished, but still felt burned out and decided to move to China to be an English teacher. I did that for 3 years, even though all my friends told me not to and said I was crazy. I agreed somewhat, but it felt like something I needed to do. I had no idea how I was ever going to get back into working in art.
While I was there I learned more about music production, made two albums, and made an animated music video. When I decided to move back to LA, I sent out some feelers to people and Toby, who had been my freshman year roommate in college, said they were looking for people on Regular Show. This was for a job position called “storyboarder/writer” and I’d never heard of that job before. They sent me the test, I took it, he showed JG some of my work (including the music video I had made while in China). JG decided to take the chance on hiring some random English teacher from China that he’d never met or even interviewed over the phone.
That is my path to storyboarding. You can try taking that same path, but as you can see, it all requires a bit of serendipity and preparation for when that serendipity happens.
Wow that was a lot of stuff. Why do you write so much? Jeez, summarize it.
Because I work in TV and I have to edit myself down all the time so THIS IS MY FREE SPACE OKAY??
You don’t have to go to the most amazing school in the world. You don’t have to be the most incredible artist in the world. You don’t have to know people. You DO have to have drive and decent art. You CAN do it, you just have be realistic about who you are and what you need in order to get there.
Page two! I hope you enjoyed this comic, and I especially hope you enjoyed the finale. I wouldn’t be where I am today without Regular and it means a lot to me. I love everyone I met because of Regular Show and I couldn’t have been happier to work on it. Thanks for watching!
Never got around to sharing this delightful piece of AJ’s Infinite Summer art by madelinequeripel. She made it way back when the short was in early production and had a different, arguably snappier title.
i’m getting really nostalgic right now so for people who have been fans of regular show since the beginning who remembers
• when the fandom had more than like 7 people and new episodes were talked about
• that one kid in class who would always go “you know who else ____? MY MOM!!”
• rigby died at least once every season
• those previews that ended with a still of the park and a narrator saying “regular show: it’s anything but. new episode monday at 8.”
• lady pecs
• before eileen was introduced so in a desperate attempt to give rigby a love interest people made female raccoon ocs that all had the same “cool chick, loves coffee and video games” personality
• party tonight was the ultimate jam
• but there was that super weird official music video for it that cartoon network released that had people actually dressed up as the characters and it just… nyeeeh
• THE CHARACTER ASK BLOGS
• “cj was a really cool character i hope she comes back one day and makes up with mordecai”
• super saiyan benson
• it was pretty much agreed by everyone that the funniest scene was when muscle man got punched by the hammer and his own boobs hit him in the face
• “i hope mordecai and margaret kiss under the mistletoe in the christmas special!”
• techmo was everyone’s fave
•when bendrey still like existed
• that meme about mordecai eating salad
• the acid trip from weekend at benson’s and how you will probably never listen to mississippi queen again without imagining mordecai, rigby, and benson stumbling down the street while dancing chili peppers distort reality around them
• WHEN OWEN DENNIS DID THE 30 DAY SHIPPING CHALLENGE FOR FRIGGING MORDECAI AND GODZILLA (are there still any godecai fans out there?)
• people editing that scene from brain eraser where the cashier guy goes “i watch it all day, every day” with their favorite show
• the really creepy original ending to terror tales of the park 2 (you see mordecai and rigby’s mangled dead bodies at the scene of a car crash and then everyone goes to hell)
• the promo for bad kiss coming out and everybody flipped
• 10 hour long loops of summertime lovin on youtube
• everybody being super proud when mordecai punched benson… yeah you know the moment
• back when rigby was just starting to like eileen but not quite so in ship fics and stuff he was depicted as like “gosh i HATE eileen and her STUPID face so why do i want to KISS HER SO BAD?”
• mordecai’s mom cecilia
• when power tower first aired and for some reason that was never explained the colors were all wrong and did it kind of hurt anyone else’s eyes?
• future meets the past (HAVE FUN BIRTHING US)
• art of rigby and rocket raccoon
• this is probably really dumb but… i miss when margaret almost always wore yellow for her casual outfits? like, i don’t know, but i still headcanon it as her favorite color :3
• people thought rigby was gay for mordecai (but come on they weren’t wrong) because he showed no interest in girls or dating for the first, second and arguably part of the third season
• “thomas is such a boring character why did he even join the show?”
• when benson told mordecai and rigby he loved them in blind trust :_)
• don’t lie, you HAVE thought about changing your name to trash boat
• “they should use the song come on eileen in the show”
• that mordecai in art school flashback and how everyone thought it was the cutest thing
• everybody hated benson after best burger in the world
• when rigby ran on all fours more often… i miss that :_(
• crossover art with adventure time
• mordaret was the most popular ship in the fandom seriously everybody was rooting for them
• i think benpops was pretty popular too
• that scene from terror tales 5 where rigby goes “let’s do something REALLY scary!” and pops goes “we could go to bed early and be alone with our thoughts” and how every once in a while the regular show tag will be spammed with the same screenshot of it over and over
• 2 IN THE AM PM AND THE NAÏVE MAN FROM LOLLILAND
• meteor moves had half the fandom screaming over the mordaret kiss and the other half reeaaally mad about the whole friend zone thing
• you probably tried to send something to the moon once, it most likely didn’t work
• that part from video game wizards where mordecai is trying to sleep in a motel room while rigby blasts his homemade song on a boom box outside and how people always replace the song with another one in edits that are all like “trying to get your friend to listen to ___”
• “omg donald trump tried to destroy thanksgiving in regular show!”
• chad and jeremy fan art/fanfictions EVERYWHERE
• the preview for steak me amadeus came out just a little after adventure time’s fire and ice aired and people were like “i have a bad feeling about mordecai and margaret since finn and flame princess just broke up”
• people wanted cj to be the new waitress at the coffee shop after margaret left
• did anyone else try to learn how to do mordecai’s robot from the tgi tuesday dance battle? no? just me? okay
• the fandom went nuts when phone recordings of comic con panels were uploaded to youtube (also remember when william salyers acted out rigby asking eileen for a date? good times)
• “can mordecai fly?”
• the calvin wong/toby jones and hilary florido/madeline queripel board teams
• i think cloudyleen was a thing for a while
• ooh also cj x thomas was actually pretty huge i’m pretty sure even one of the storyboarders like toby jones or owen dennis or someone said they shipped it
• admit it at one point or another you have wanted a mordecai and the rigbys t-shirt or an eggcellent hat
• i don’t remember the exact situation but someone from the show posted something about “ready to go steady” and tagged it rigby and eileen and nobody knew what it meant but the shippers had a field day
• how benson’s car was accidentally aired before the terror tales episode that explained how thomas got stuck wearing his pizza costume until thanksgiving so HE JUST RANDOMLY WALKED INTO THE HOUSE DRESSED AS A SLICE OF PIZZA WITH NO CONTEXT AND WALKED RIGHT OUT HAHAHAHAAAHA
• the tag after maxin and relaxin aired being flooded with screencaps of all the mordeblushes
• after the movie there were people who went “SEE this is why i hate rigby he’s selfish and ruined mordecai’s future and lied about it” and then there were people who went “LOOK AT HIM RIGBY MY SON HIS PARENTS DIDN’T BELIEVE IN HIM NO DON’T CRY HE’S TRYING TO MAKE THINGS BETTER HE GOT BRUTALLY REJECTED FROM THE MOST ACCEPTING COLLEGE ON THE PLANET HE HAS SUCH LOW SELF-ESTEEM I WANT TO GIVE HIM A HUG”
• eileen’s rock polisher jokes
• the mordaret shippers getting excited for diary but then “I THINK EILEEN LOOKS HOT WITHOUT HER GLASSES ON!” and the rigleen shippers rose
• the titles and synopses for the first few episodes of season 6 being released and they were all about muscle man and the entire fandom was like “aw CRAP HERE COMES ANOTHER SEASON 4 BOYS”
• a lot of people were even praying that the end of muscle man was about his untimely death
• speaking of which remember how like half the fandom went “damn they had the perfect opportunity to kill off muscle man” after last meal haha
• the running gag where maellard always called benson the wrong name
• also the one where margaret had a new boyfriend every episode
• you may or may not have known someone who said “TGI TUESDAY!” every tuesday for like a year
• the best rap in the entire show was probably when mordecai was telling rigby off in sweater woes for being selfish and not moving on from margaret (“not fine not fine!”)
• screen caps of those animatronics from fuzzy dice with the caption “is this five nights at freddy’s”
• when the post card was announced and all the writers were like “it’s a hi five ghost episode! no, really!”
• “you really have to blow, you’re not blowing hard enough, BLOW HARDER!”
• this was in season 7 so not exactly old but sam spina’s bad art contests
• the swift rise and fall of the cloudygret ship at one point in the love triangle i think it was after eileen flat screen aired
• everybody making their own theories about skips and his “mystery lost love” and then there were tears when skips’ story aired
• muscle man getting beaten up to holly jolly christmas and we all laughed because he deserved it
• benson’s girlfriend veronica
• “i can’t believe evangelion copied regular show”
• you’ve witnessed the introduction, filling, and re-digging of the crash pit
• the eileen flat screen fake out where jg quintel hyped the episode and said it was gonna be big and people immediately thought “RIGLEEN” but it was like nope margaret’s back
• MUD WAIFU
• “still think i’m a momma’s boy?”
• people making thomas memorial videos or “rip thomas” text posts after the real thomas aired
• how a lot of people left the fandom after the two great controversies™, meteor moves (“FRIEND ZONE! FRIEND ZONE FRIEND ZONE FRIEND ZONE!”) and the season 6 love triangle, also the real thomas but to a lesser extent, but most of them still went “but tell me when rigleen becomes canon yo”
• is it just me or will my favorite scene always be the season 4 ending where rigby joined mordecai on the park house roof and they watched the sunset together
• “you take margaret to the airport?” “yeah” “you want to talk about it?” “no” seriously if this is not your favorite moment then why not
• how they sTILL HAVEN’T RESOLVED THE WHOLE “RIGBY GOES BACK IN TIME TO STOP MORDECAI FROM KISSING CJ” PLOT FROM NEW YEAR’S KISS I MEAN ARE WE EVER GOING TO SEE WHY RIGBY WANTED TO PREVENT IT SO BAD
Madeline Queripel and Alex Cline talk about their inspirations behind The Parkie Awards! Maddie talks about seeing the actors at the record, Alex talks about his first boarding experience, and the mystery of whether Gene has hair or not is finally solved!
Hello and welcome to my short comic series, “Two Women Who Are Friends”. I just wanted to do a light Azumanga Daioh style comic but featuring two Daria-esque characters. There’s a few more on the way. I hope you enjoy!