- looking for a full time job IS a full time job all on its own. and it’s one of the hardest jobs you will ever have.
- take advantage of free career counselling. they’ll help you with your resume and cover letter and help you navigate job boards/markets.
- do you have friends with nice jobs? ask them about their interviews, and see if they’ll scan your resume for you. if it worked for them it might work for you.
- do your taxes every year. don’t get behind. trust me. it’s worth it.
- make your bed every morning, even if you have to be up at ass oclock.
- driving isn’t nearly as scary as it seems. bug your parents to pay for your driver training while you still live at home. tell them it’s the only way you’ll stop bugging them to drive you everywhere.
- TAKE DRIVER TRAINING. seriously, i went from panic attacks at the thought of driving to cruising in a year. maybe you won’t, but it’s invaluable information.
- if you’re going to do drugs, buy a bulk pack of test strips from amazon so you know what you’re getting. fentanyl is everywhere now and you can’t be too careful. hand them out like party favours to your friends if you must.
- get a savings account. even if it’s empty 99% of the time, just having it will make you want to save money.
- buy things like towels, bedding, and dishes from second hand stores. big ones will have pretty nice stuff and it’s cheap as hell. bonus: most of them have 50% off days where you can load up on essentials for way less.
- do whatever you can to make your minimum payments on your credit cards. it will save you SO MUCH PAIN. if you can’t make them, answer when they call and tell them how much you can pay and by when. even if it’s just $10, it’s something. never go a month without putting anything on there.
- put white christmas lights in your bedroom. it’ll make you feel better.
- if you put two-three drops of lavender essential oil in the toilet after you poop and flush, it won’t smell.
- make a digital signature. it’ll save you having to print off forms just to scan them back onto your computer.
white person: maybe morrison earned his promotion to strike commander of overwatch through his own merit and skills, and racism/colorism towards reyes had nothing to do with it ? maybe stop making it a race thing ?
me, in my head: While I have no doubt Jack possessed the abilities needed in order to be a capable and effective leader, you cannot look me in the eye and tell me that Gabriel did not. Reyes successfully lead everyone during the Omnic Crisis – a war – and that takes a tremendous amount of ability.
If both men were equally capable leaders, then what reasons could the UN possibly have to choose one over the other? I can’t think of many. Age? They’re both around the same age. Gender? They’re both men. Race…? That’s where things get interesting.
Overwatch was a global organization and it needed a poster boy. An icon. A figurehead to admire. Someone who everyone can look up to and see themselves in, even in the smallest of ways. And the UN chose Jack, a blond farm boy from Indiana, as opposed to Gabriel, a Mexican American who grew up in LA. Weird, huh?
It’s no secret that many modern movies, TV shows, and video games tend to have white male protagonists, and it’s usually for one reason: relateability. They want their works to be ‘relateable to a wider audience’ so they make the protagonists white, which is problematic because it implies that whiteness is the norm and that brownness/blackness is something different. It dehumanizes poc. When the UN chose Jack in the hopes of making Overwatch more relateable to humanity, they were implying that Gabriel was somehow less relateable on the basis of his race. Which is fucking racist.
So yeah, Morrison may have earned the position with his abilties but racism definitely had a role to play in it because racism has a role to play in literally everything. Bye.
obviously social media isn’t everything but seeing a single ounce of support from ONE other celebrity for taylor this week would be nice, especially from all the ladies who spent the past fall winter and spring shading her for RTs for not speaking up about anything
I have a question on how to handle a situation. I'm a part of an IRL writing group. I'm the youngest by a good 20 years at 25 and have already been branded troublesome and a 'hard ass'. There is a guy who decided to write a "biography" of a black woman from Houston. She overcame a lot of obstacles to get a degree and provide for her family. But he inserts himself into the narrative, talks down on her, plus is a white guy writing about her life , a story he has no real business telling.
he’s made jokes about her limited vocabulary compared to his “PhD four syllable one”. His log line is literally “ you can take the girl out of the ghetto but can you take the ghetto out of the girl” Ive brought up that he is telling her story through a lens. I’ve told him he is giving an extremely problematic portrayal and that it will hurt readers. He said I’m “too aggressive” for a girl and continues to work on it. What more can I do? I NEVER want this book to reach a soul.
Confronting Racist Ideas in a Writer’s Group
We feel you should call him out.
As a young woman, we get that you’re at a disadvantage, but you’re also white, and this would be a good way of using your privilege to point out this is an issue. (Although we do sympathize–one of us had to leave a writing group for similar reasons.)
You could refer this blog and/or other sources as a reference for him to read and educate himself.
Though in the end, you can’t make people take you seriously, and can only try to get your point across. If he’s as sexist and racist as he seems to be, there really isn’t much you can do but call him out. Chances are (and fingers crossed) his crappy works never see a bookshelf, but there is always a chance. And hey, it won’t be your fault when he’s on folks’ did-not-finish lists on goodreads with tons of one star reviews.
Another thing; just because you’re “aggressive” (dude, how condescending and tone-policing) which probably is an exaggeration on his part anyhow, doesn’t mean you’re wrong.
Finally, if this group doesn’t take you seriously and no one in charge assists in curbing this guy’s behavior, it’s perfectly acceptable to leave the group for something more suitable. Based on the group deeming you a “troublesome hard ass”, it doesn’t sound like a safe or comfortable environment at all.
This behavior is not something you should have to put up with.
♒🌑🌌 Spell jar for clear and balanced thinking, influenced by Aquarius New Moon 🌌🌑♒
(Inspired by a lot of spells and information from other Cosmic Witches on Tumblr)
The New Moon is a perfect time to put things together that help you transit into new ventures, personal growth and problem solving. Channeling Aquarius New Moon’s energies, we can start to work optimistically into transforming from the inside to bring positive transformation to the outside.
- Small jar and cork
- Bay leaf (for strength)
- “I am strong with the Moon” sigil (in white ink if possible)
- Mortar or fire safe bowl with a spoon
- Salt (if you feel this spell is missing a bit of the Water element, you can use Sea Salt instead).
- White candle (for pure intentions)
- Rosemary (for clarity)
- Thyme (for courage)
- Lavender (for healing and peace)
- Rose petals (for self love)
- Something silver coloured (in correspondence with the Lunar energy)
Optional: you can add a crystal in correspondence with the Moon if you prefer it to putting something glittery or silver coloured.
- Light the white candle and start by grounding yourself with your favourite meditating technique (I sat with my legs crossed, closed my eyes and held my black tourmaline).
- Write your sigil on the Bay leaf in white ink. Burn it with the candle and place the ashes on the mortar. This is the time for you to concentrate on your intentions and to devote yourself to the New Moon and/or any Moon related deity you worship.
- Pour some salt on the mortar and mix it together with the ashes, concentrating on the Moon’s strength.
- Now that your Moon Salt is ready, pour it on the bottom of the jar.
- Next, grind (or cut in little pieces and mix) together the Rosemary, Thyme, Lavender and some of the Rose petals, concentrating on the properties of each. Regulate the amount of salt for this mix depending on the size of the jar and how much of it still needs to be filled.
- After pouring the herbal salt, leave some space for your silvery thing and one last ungrined Rose petal.
-Put the cork and seal with the wax from the white candle you’ve been meditating with.
I’m going to keep mine in a safe place, where I can look at it for reassurance at times of decition making.
Prompt: Roman hires you and takes an interest in you
Warnings: Hint of sexual themes (this is Hemlock grove what do you expect?)
You sighed as you once again were stuck in your stupid ass job making coffee for the people of Hemlock Grove. As in not so nice people who apparently thought it was a good idea to verbally abuse and insult the cashier for making them repeat their god damn order of a white chocolate mocha latte with extra extra cream, only a tea spoon of sugar, a cup of almond milk, and extra foam with a caramel heart on top.
I mean, c'mon people working at a coffee shop for hours upon hours on end was bad enough now you gotta make it more difficult by spewing out your order 10 words per second?
You sighed once again really wishing you could just quit and find a better job. You loved to clean and stuff so maybe you could find a job where you’d clean up stuff like a maid or a janitor.
You heard the bell connected to the door ring so you sighed and rubbed your face but put a smile on anyways. You saw your customer was a really hot looking dude wearing elegant suits.
You had to push down your anger since customers like that would criticize you for looking like you hadn’t showered or slept for 3 days straight.
Which is sort of true.
“Hey there how may i help you?” You asked.
The boy looked at the menu then at you and you couldn’t help but feel your throat tighten looking into his piercing green-blue eyes.
“Just a regular iced coffee with almond milk.” He replied.
“Okay and who am I making this for?”
“Roman Godfrey. My number is-”
“Sorry sir but I don’t need your number.” You interuppted.
“Really now? Cuz most girls would be dying to get my number.”
“Yeah well im not most girls. Sorry.” You said before walking away to make his drink.
You couldn’t help but notice every time you looked over your shoulder he was there grinning.
You made his coffee and shook it so the sugar would mix before handing it to him.
“Have a good day.” You said before walking away.
“I’ll be back later.” The man told you with a flirtatious wink before heading out the door.
The front panel of a Zenith television from the 1940s or 1950s. Yes, just the front. Great for making art, a window, a planter or terrarium, or puppet stage out of. Or slap it in front of your smaller LCD television, put in a DVD of reruns of something filmed in black & white, and reminisce about your grandparents.
Something that a lot of fandoms need to understand is that while you can like a book or a movie or a show that has flaws, liking it doesn’t give you an excuse to ignore its flaws.
If the only POC representation in a show is tokenism, point it out. If a movie is dripping in heteronormativity, point it out. If a book has problems with character development or Mary Sues or even writing quality, point it out.
Liking a work doesn’t mean you’re allowed to put it up on a pedestal and act like its flaws don’t exist. Instead, it’s your job to acknowledge and accept those flaws for what they are.
Hi! Can I request a reaction to you calming them after a night terror? Thanks! 💕💕
ooh, I like this one! Sure thing, but I’m going to alternate between different sleeping disorders and nightmares.
He didn’t do it all the time, but when he was stressed, Jin would have some terrible nightmares. It would begin with him tossing and turning before, with a jolt he’d awaken. He wouldn’t tell you anything, but would press closer to you allowing the feeling of your steady, sleepy breaths to guide him back into a more peaceful sleep.
Once, however, your thoughts had kept you awake. You felt the bed shift suddenly as Jin awakened. Turning, you could just make out his silhouette as Jin pressed a hand to his chest trying to calm his erratic breathing. “Jin?” you called. He jumped again, “oh! Sorry, (y/n), did I wake you up?”
“No, I haven’t been able to sleep. Are you okay?”
He breathed out, “I’m fine. Just a little nightmare.” “No,” you gasped, sitting up as well. “Are you alright? Jin, don’t lie. Come here.” He leaned against you as your wound your arms around his shoulders, fingers carding through the hair at the nape of his neck.