1. Racist AF: the Asian character in both “Pitch Perfect” movies is literally a human joke with no real dialogue, just “weirdo” surreal one-liners. The Latina character in the 2nd movie is the same, and the jokes involve how little her life is worth because she’s Latina. And Banks directed that one!
3. Homophobic: the black character’s lesbianism is literally joked about in the first movie and treated with a “hush hush wink wink” vibe from the other girls throughout both. The “Bellas” all treat it as something embarrassing and it’s only treated as normal the one time in each movie that the character shares an anecdote about herself.
To be clear:
1. I’m not saying that Spielberg shouldn’t make more movies with women leads, far from it!
2. I AM saying that it’s peak white feminism when you read through Spielberg’s Wiki or IMDB filmography, see The Color Purple, and not know that movie STARRED OPRAH WINFREY AND WHOOPI GOLDBERG.
3. I am ALSO saying that “Pitch Perfect 2″ directed by Banks was one of the most offensive movies I’ve watched in years (yeah I know there are worst movies, I don’t seek out shit), especially the “throwaway life / who cares if I die” joke line on the Latina character.
Elizabeth Banks - work on your own shit, hire women of color as writers, and watch The Color Purple for f*cks sake
The Get Down S01E09 (Part 2 - Episode 3) - One by One, Into the Dark
We’re gonna show everybody that there’s this invisible little army, and we’re hungry and scared, but we’re on our way.
And even though no one
loves our little army, one day the world will see the messages we leave
them, and they’ll know we tried to help them to find the right song.
still on holiday but i wanted to do a few quick doodles, and dad!jason…..sorta….happened? i like to think little kids sometimes confuse him for captain america when he’s older, since they look so similar