that headcanon about sirius and remus leaving their memories to harry though!!! :(((((( what memories do u think they'd include??????
you mean this post i reblogged?? bc same i want to cry????
• I think what’s most important for them to include is James and Lily’s relationship in their 5th-7th years. Like, Harry only saw Hogwarts-era James and Lily in the perspective of Snape. Besides, I doubt that Remus and Sirius’ vague explanations( “She started going out with him in seventh year” “Once James had deflated his head a bit,” “And stopped hexing people for the fun of it”) were enough to show Harry that Lily Evans did not just ‘tolerate’ or ‘settle for’ James. It wasn’t enough to show that getting the girl isn’t the only reason James grew up. It wasn’t enough to show that he didn’t “earn” or “win” Lily like some prize. They both grew up, grew close, liked each other, and decided to be together.
• I want Harry to see James after the prank realizing how much things have spiraled out of control. I want Harry to see the boys gradually leaving Snape and other victims alone. I want Harry to see James put more effort in school and being a decent person and helping people out and sticking up for his friends without hurting anyone (i mean - except for when someone is throwing slurs at them or when someone makes a dig at Sirius’ family). But also stuff that James has always been doing like skipping class to tend to Moony post-moon, tutoring Peter in subjects he does not get, learning to braid hair specifically because he found out it helps Sirius’ relax, leaving McGonagall Thank You treats on her table without a note or anything everytime she turns a blind eye whenever the boys sneak out to visit Remus in the wing, etc etc
• I want Harry to see the first partner work for Potions in 6th year (after Lily completely cut off Snape from her life) and James partnering with Sirius because he’s thinking “Ok so what if she isn’t talking to Snape anymore she’ll partner up with Marlene or Alice or Dorcas” and then him tripping over his own feet when Lily waves for him to come over and partner up.
• Since that is Sirius’ memory contribution there’s also a lot of 16-year-old Sirius going all “HOW DARE HE. IS THIS HOW IT IS NOW. MOONY BE MY PARTNER WE’LL SHOW HIM” “…Peter’s my partner” “god so BOTH of you are breaking up with me that’s just GREAT”
• Harry seeing James and Lily spend more time together. At first it’s just glimpses of their study sessions, Lily sitting with the Marauders or James sitting with Lily’s friends. Then glimpses of Lily walking James to practice, James trying Muggle candy and Lily laughing as she messes with his candy a little, Lily playfully elbowing James whenever they’re with other people when they pass by each other in the hallway. It turns to glimpses of their midnight talks , James kissing Lily’s forehead whenever they had to go to different classes, Lily holding James’ hand as he just stares at his breakfast nervous for Quidditch finals (cue Sirius across them being the mother hen to James for once “James Potter, you eat your breakfast NOW, we are not going to win on an empty stomach. Merlin you can’t expect everyone to feed their boyfriends everytime there’s a big match” “Sirius I do not feed him” “I was talking about ME, Lily gosh…im just kidding, Moony, g O D”). Basically Harry not knowing where the “just besties” ended and where the relationship started, because it just flowed and happened like the most natural thing in the world.
• OKAY, IMAGINE HARRY GETTING DISTRACTED BY REMUS AND SIRIUS THOUGH BECAUSE THESE ARE REMUS AND SIRIUS’ MEMORIES, AND HE’S JUST WATCHING FROM WHERE THEY ARE. Imagine Harry sitting with them at the table and looking across like “…huh, mum and dad really did love each other. i guess that she really didn’t - OKAY WHY IS REMUS’ HAND SLIDING UP SIRIUS’ THIGH WAS THIS A THING THIS IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR.” Or the Quidditch finals in Remus’ memories, seeing James and Lily hug - James picking her up and spinning her around and everything- when Gryffindor wins and Remus is smiling proudly at them but Harry is notable to appreciate the moment because right then he sees that Sirius has the microphone, raising the trophy, yelling “CONGRATULATIONS GRYFFINDOR FUCK THIS IS GREAT!!!!!! P.S. SHOUTOUT TO MY BOYFRIEND. MOONY, THIS TROPHY ISN’T THE ONLY PRETTY THING I’M GOING HOME WITH TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!″ (cue a Gryffindor-wide groan and McGonagall yelling at him) and Remus would usually roll his eyes and give him the finger, but he’s too proud of Sirius to joke, so he just smirks and winks and Harry wonders if it’s okay to throw himself off the stands because G OD THESE TWO.
• MEMORIES OF THEIR FRESH-GRADUATE YEAR. Just random memories of flat-hunting, and painting walls together, and nights when they’re out dancing (DISCO ERA, PEOPLE!!! Harry witnesses Sirius and Lily do their obviously-practiced-a-million-times routine in the middle of the dance floor. They’re amazing but James and Remus are still trying to pretend they don’t know these nerds who are taking up all the space)
• OKAY BUT ALSO HARRY’S BIRTH??? JAMES BAWLING, LILY SILENTLY CRYING, REMUS IN AWE BECAUSE THAT THING IS SO LITTLE HOW IS IT SO LITTLE, SIRIUS HOLDING HARRY IN HIS ARMS ALSO BAWLING AND ‘i swear i think he has my nose’. Remus arguing that ‘ok but he has MY eyes’ ‘UM JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE GREEN EYES TOO-’ and James is just holding a very tired Lily in the hospital bed as they look fondly at their life and joy being held by Sirius, and feeling lucky to have this beautiful baby boy - but also feeling lucky because they know that the two idiots arguing about their child will be an amazing extra set of parents to harry
• Remus’ memories of Baby Harry. Remus feeding Harry too much chocolate ( “Remus that’s enough” “But Prongssssss you are depriving your child”). Remus popping by to visit to see James and Lily passed out in bed already and when he goes to Harry’s room, Harry is awake again, looking lost without his parents and on the verge on crying but he breaks into a fit of giggles when he sees his Uncle Moony, who rocks him back to sleep while singing a lullaby. Remus giving up his oldest, most worn out, favorite cardigan because somehow Harry got hold of it and won’t let it go - he’s bitter until he visits the next day, and Harry is still curled up in his crib with it. Remus and Lily doing lively readings of Muggle bedtime stories - they do the voices and everything - as Harry listens intently, still clutching onto his Moony Cardigan - his newfound safety blanket. Remus falling asleep on the Potter’s couch, with Harry sitting on his chest and drawing on him.
• Sirius’ memories of Baby Harry. Giving him a bath and shaping his hair into a little soap-mohawk. “OH GOD MOONY WHERE’S HARRY WE LOST HARRY” “…he’s hiding under your leather jacket.” Putting Harry on his bike, and joking that he was gonna take one-year-old Harry for a spin and watching James freak out. Sirius groaning as he takes out his Mirror in the middle of work like “James, what do you want now - oh” and finding out Harry is playing with the Mirror; Sirius smiles like an idiot as Harry giggles at seeing his uncle and tries to give him a hug through the glass. Harry’s hair growing long and curly, so Sirius always has those tiny hair ties (he keeps them on his fingers like little rings) to tie Harry’s hair back. Sirius taking a picture of Remus asleep on the couch and Harry asleep on his chest and keeps it in his jacket’s pocket. Sirius as Padfoot, being used as Harry’s new pony as he runs around the backyard with Harry on his back.
• Real-Time Harry releasing himself from the memories in tears because wow even before Ron and Hermione and the Weasleys, he experienced being loved and pampered. He experienced bedtime stories and lullabies and little adventures to the park and people bickering over what his first word would be and he can’t remember it - but now he gets to cherish it. Besides, after seeing all that, the Patronus charm gets a lot easier to do.