Imagine Loki seeing you while Thor is smuggling him out of Asgard to get to Svartalfheim.
Warnings: None except for some slight fluff? I don’t really know, to be honest.
Word Count: 1,169
Loki pranced alongside Thor, in the form of his adoptive brother’s new companion, Captain America.
“Oh, this is much better,” Loki mused. “Oh, the costume is a bit much. So tight.” Thor ignored Loki’s antics as he quickly led the way through the corridor, keeping a watch out for any guards. “But the confidence. I can feel the righteousness surging.”
From the end of the corridor, you were approaching the corner. Your boots clicked on the stone floors and echoed off of the walls.
“Hey, do you want to have a rousing discussion about truth?” Loki spoke up again, disregarding the threat for guards. “Honor? Patriotism? God bless Amer-” Loki was suddenly cut off as Thor placed a mighty hand on Loki’s chest and mouth, silencing Loki and forcing him against the wall, causing him to revert back to his normal form.
Annoyed, Loki pushed Thor’s hand off of his face.
“What?” He whispered, looking up at Thor as the blonde stared past him. Loki turned to see what Thor saw, only to see you searching around for the hushed voices you heard. Thor glanced down at his brother, noticing the longing look Loki sent your way.
“We mustn’t be seen,” Thor whispered, grasping onto Loki’s arm as he was about to walk over to you.
“You mean to say she’s not a part of any of this?” Loki replied, slightly disappointed. In all the time that he had returned from Midgard with Thor, you had not come to visit him once.
“She had thought you were dead, as did the rest of us. To hear that you were alive and didn’t come back..” Thor trailed off as Loki turned back to him. “When you had returned, it was not fair for her that she would have seen you again under such conditions.”
Loki and yourself had met as children. When Thor had befriended Sif and the Warriors Three, Loki had been left all alone, until you showed up to him. Growing up together and being alongside one another, it was your sole duty to protect Loki, as a favor to Frigga and Odin, but it soon grew to be much more than that. For both of you. When Loki had gone against the House of Odin and banished Thor, it broke your heart to go behind Loki’s back and venture to Midgard to retrieve Thor. You had felt even worse at the news of Loki’s death, and only to hear months later that he had survived and had tried to take over another realm. Your heart couldn’t take it.
“Come on. We have to go,” Thor reminded Loki, grabbing onto his thinner bicep, only for Loki to grab back onto Thor to stop him.
“Please let me go to her.,” Loki begged quietly, finding it difficult to look Thor in the eyes and show his sincerity. “Just for a moment.” Thor furrowed his eyebrows in thought.
You turned to walk away, back down the hallway in which you came from, only to be stopped b someone calling your name.
“Lady (Y/N)!” Your head snapped around and you noticed Thor striding up to you, his chest puffed out and his arms swinging past his hips. He was grinning at you and you felt your face twist into a confused expression.
“What can I do for you, Your Majesty?” You asked in the most courteous of ways. Thos let out a loud and obnoxious laugh as he batted his hand at you.
“No worries, my dear, I don’t acquire anything from you,” he assured in his deep, accented voice. ‘My dear’.
“Then to what do I owe this gracious pleasure?” Thor’s relaxed and casual expression softened as he looked at you.
“Just wanted to see you,” he confessed a little above a whisper. “And to see how you were doing, of course. What with my mother’s death.” You ignored his concerns toward you.
“How did he take the news? Loki?” At the mention of Loki’s name, Thor stiffened.
“Oh, him? Yeah, he’s fine. Nothing to worry about for that guy,” Thor brushed off, nonchalantly.
“When were you going to tell me you were sneaking him out of here?” You asked him, only to be responded to with a hanging jaw and open mouth. “Sif told me.”
“I’m sure I meant to tell you.” You only laughed and reached out to Thor’s face, gently brushing his cheek with the back of your fingers. He flinched and retracted away from your touch. You smiled softly at him.
“You know, you don’t have to cover for your brother, Loki.” Thor’s eyes widened but then narrowed with his jaw clenching. With a green shimmer of light, Loki replaced where Thor once stood.
Loki opened his mouth to say something but was quickly stopped when you punched him in the chin. You watched as he recomposed himself, stretching out his jaw and massaging his chin.
“Alright, I deserved that-” You threw your arms around the back of his neck and pulled his taller figure down to you, hugging him close. It took Loki a minute to realize what you were doing and he finally wrapped his arms around you to hug you back.
“I’ve missed you so much,” you muttered into his shoulder, bitterly, narrowing your eyes. You pulled away from him, but his arms around you kept you close.
“I thought you were angry with me,” Loki spoke carefully.
“Oh, I am,” you clarified. “But, right now, all I’m thinking about is that you have to leave again.”
“I’ll come back. For you.” Loki looked you in the eyes, urging you to trust that he would. You put your hands on the sides of his face, comprehending that he wasn’t just another illusion.
“You better.” You leaned forwards while bringing his face down, and lightly kissed the very corner of his lips, earning a little chuckle from Loki.
“You missed, darling,” he said with a grin. Behind him, you noticed the real Thor, waiting patiently for Loki to finish.
“Teach me a lesson for that when you get back. For now, however, your brother is waiting for you.” Loki looked hesitant to leave you at first.
“To when I return,” he promised you, turning around and taking his leave after Thor. You watched as their figures turned around another corner and disappeared, with Loki glancing back one more time to see you.
You stood in that same spot for a few moments, taking in what had just happened. The thought of Loki crossed your mind and you couldn’t help but smile softly, staring dreamily at the corner where they had turned.
THAT FACE WHEN YOU DEEPLY REGRET TRYING TO INVADE EARTH WHILST THE OPPOSITION HAD A HULK
“We have a Hulk!” Tony Stark warned him! I love how they’re still recognising Loki’s understandable fear of the beast that slammed him side-to-side. At least they’ll be on the same team this time, though it’ll be fun for them trying to put their grudges aside and work together!
July 25, 2014: BI published the email Tom Hiddleston sent to Joss Whedon after he read the Avengers script. This email exchange was published in Joss Whedon: the Biography.
I am so excited I can hardly speak.
The first time I read it I grabbed at it like Charlie Bucket snatching for a golden ticket somewhere behind the chocolate in the wrapper of a Wonka Bar. I didn’t know where to start. Like a classic actor I jumped in looking for LOKI on every page, jumping back and forth, reading words in no particular order, utterances imprinting themselves like flash-cuts of newspaper headlines in my mind: “real menace”; “field of obeisance”; “discontented, nothing is enough”; “his smile is nothing but a glimpse of his skull”; “Puny god” …
… Thank you for writing me my Hans Gruber. But a Hans Gruber with super-magic powers. As played by James Mason … It’s high operatic villainy alongside detached throwaway tongue-in-cheek; plus the “real menace” and his closely guarded suitcase of pain. It’s grand and epic and majestic and poetic and lyrical and wicked and rich and badass and might possibly be the most gloriously fun part I’ve ever stared down the barrel of playing. It is just so juicy.
I love how throughout you continue to put Loki on some kind of pedestal of regal magnificence and then consistently tear him down. He gets battered, punched, blasted, side-swiped, roared at, sent tumbling on his back, and every time he gets back up smiling, wickedly, never for a second losing his eloquence, style, wit, self-aggrandisement or grandeur, and you never send him up or deny him his real intelligence…. That he loves to make an entrance; that he has a taste for the grand gesture, the big speech, the spectacle. I might be biased, but I do feel as though you have written me the coolest part.
… But really I’m just sending you a transatlantic shout-out and fist-bump, things that traditionally British actors probably don’t do. It’s epic.
Josh Whedon’s reply
Tom, this is one of those emails you keep forever. Thanks so much. It’s more articulate (and possibly longer) than the script. I couldn’t be more pleased at your reaction, but I’ll also tell you I’m still working on it … Thank you again. I’m so glad you’re pleased. Absurd fun to ensue.
literally the visuals of the damn film were great, A+++
- first of all THANK YOU TAIKA FOR DIRECTING THIS BEAUTY
- he literally added all of his little touches from Rachel House as Topaz from The Hunt for the Wilderpeople (there was an easter egg in the first trailer with reference to the movie through graffiti of the Skux Life) to Luke Hemsworth and Matt Damon impersonating Thor and Loki on stage
- THOR TALKING TO A DAMN SKELETON
- you’re probably wondering how i ended up like this cliche
- THANKS FOR BRINGING IN MY MAN KARL URBAN TO PLAY SKURGE who has a pretty decent character arc from replacing Heimdall to collecting knick knacks from the nine realms (machine guns named ‘Des’ and ‘Troy’, together they’re ‘Destroy’) and trying to impress ladies to temporarily becoming Hela’s Executioner although he hasn’t the heart to kill his own people to trying to be a stowaway (some would call this cowardly but wait) to deciding to fight for Asgard and giving his life as a result, he got his recognition
- Thor’s hammer antics, putting it in the dragon’s mouth and setting it on Loki’s chest like, “Stay!” and “OW OW OW” yeah that hammer is a real gem, pity Hela had to destroy it, makes sense that she would be able to do so since she wielded it before Thor was ever born when she and Odin had their fun rampaging the realms
- HELA IS THOR’S (and technically Loki’s) OLDER SISTER????????????? WHAT THE HELL????
- Loki as Odin was bloody hilarious, going “Oh shit” the moment his brother shows up (plus the giant statue of himself in gold, really??? a bit much???)
- LOKI LEAVING ODIN IN AN ELDERLY HOME HAH (the damn thing was being demolished like HELLO)
- Loki having to outdo Thor in some way aka FULL BLACK SUIT, SHIRT AND TIE FROM HEAD TO TOE while Thor is literally in jeans and a jacket (his face when Thor was asked for a selfie though, like how is that ever possible)
- THANKS FOR BRINGING IN BENEDICT TOO LIKE I NEEDED ME SOME STEPHEN STRANGE BEING SUPER EXTRA AND TELEPORTING(???) EVERYWHERE MAKING THOR WHOOZY (honestly i laughed so hard when Loki said he’d been falling for thirty minutes since Strange opened a portal for him to fall into and then reopned it much later, loved it)
- Thor disguising his hammer as a damn umbrella and it completely wrecking the New York Sanctum as it flies to him
- Sentimental bros when Odin passed on IN FRIGGING NORWAY
- The clouds and thunder mirroring Thor’s grief and anger and the sparks crackling like the perfect foreshadowing
- Thor being a dramatic dork with the most unnecessary costume change of the century, a lightning strike *rolls eyes to the moon and back*
- CATE BLANCETT IS SO HOT HOLY SHIT
- HER HAIR TURNS INTO HER HEADDRESS????? WHAAAAA?????
- HELA WHY YOU KILL MY WARRIORS THREE SOBS
- heimdall the fugitive, cue the mission impossible theme song (completely necessary i assure you)
- the amount of humour littered throughout the film is ridiculously fantastic so much so that i can’t possibly go through all of it but kudos to Drunk!Valkyrie, that is a mood i can totally agree with
- Loki and Thor arguing like a bunch of children good lord (CAN I JUST, THE GRANDMASTER SUBTLY FLIRTING WITH LOKI AND THOR JUST LOOKING COMPLETELY CONFUSED LIKE ????? GOLD!!!)
- “What’s the word we use for her that start’s with B?” “Trash.”
- Valkyrie sassing her way through the film, everywhere from speaking to Thor to Topaz and Loki like, what a boss
- Thor getting his hair cut by Stan Lee with a robotic arm (he’s so damn attached to his hair like woah)
- TAIKA VOICING KORG LIKE WHAT A PRECIOUS BEAN THAT GIANT STONE MONSTER IS I LOVE HIM ( he’s so precious “I tried to start a revolution but couldn’t print enough pamplets” + “We’re going to get out of here on that ship, want to join us?” + “I accidentally stepped on [Meek] on the Bridge and I felt so bad, I’ve been carrying him around all day” + Meek wakes up, “HEY EVERYONE MEEK’S ALIVE”) also the subtle explicit jokes did not go unnoticed ahem ahem -.-
- Loki’s projections being a recurring theme throughout the whole movie from the start where he visit’s Thor in the contender’s holding area, “to try and help him” and Thor keeps throwing stuff through him because his brother won’t even try to come and meet him face to face (Korg attacking supposed ‘ghost’ was also adorable), to when Loki is chained up in Valkyrie’s room and Thor throws something at him (it hits him in the head) to check if he’s really present, to when they try to escape and Thor figures out the trick because Loki’s inherent selfishness tips him off, and finally the ending when Lokis shows up after throwing Surtur’s crown into the fire, Thor not even daring to believe his brother is there in the room, “I would hug you if you were here,” and he tosses something at supposed projection only to have Loki catch it, “I’m here”, that was a tender scene between the brothers and I love Taika all the more for executing it as such (he could easily have had Tom miss the object and allowed it to hit him but he kept the moment an intimate one, bless him for that)
- the classic “HE’S A FRIEND FROM WORK” and Loki’s face when he saw the Hulk, “I NEED TO GET OFF THIS PLANET” *flashbacks to PUNY GOD*
- Thor’s lightning being triggered by Odin and the Hulk’s punches though, the lightning is so flipping amazing and it’s honestly really cool to watch?????
- Bruce was the Hulk for TWO YEARS????? and Nat is the one to trigger the switch back (also his and Thor’s little frienship squabble was pretty cute, not to mention the Quinjet recognising Thor as POINTBREAKBAHAHAHA)
- Bruce in Tony’s clothes (can i get a little SCIENCE BROS up in here)
- Valkyrie and Bruce being so damn oblivious
- “Loki turned into a snake and I liked snakes and then he changed back into himself and stabbed me with a knife WHEN WE WERE EIGHT” and Loki still has the guts to smile, devious little bastard
- “Let’s do ‘GET HELP’!” “No, that’s embarrasing” proceed to Thor literally TOSSING Loki at the guards
- “It’s a leisure ship, the Grandmaster uses it for his orgys” oh lord bless me
- I don’t have much to say about Heimdall or Hela to be very honest, because we were only briefly introduced to Hela and Heimdall was barely touched on except as a fugitive getting the Asgardians to evacuate. Hela was mostly just stipulated as the villain and sister goddess, though her ability to produce swords continuously is fantastic and nicely presented
- Valkyrie’s past was cleverly dealt with instead of having a cheesy heart to heart, with Loki showcasing his magic abilities to pluck the memory from her mind and see for himself what really happened that turned her into a drunken scavenger
- Thor wanting to be a Valkyrie growing up then realising they were all women
- Bruce has 7 PhDs, good to know (none of them are for flying alien spacecraft though, also good to know)
- LOKI IS ACTUALLY RELATIVELY GOOD IN THIS ONE (although he does halt by the Tesseract and we all can guess that he takes it since he has it in Infinity War)
- Taika handled the missing Gauntlet fantastically with Hela tipping the relic over in Odin’s vault, calling it a fake, which alludes to the real one being missing, really nice segway right there (she also hovers by the Tesseract and recognises it’s power)
- Thor losing an eye, Loki thinking his new eye patch suits him and Hela saying he looks like their ‘dad’
- VENTRESS AKA THE REALLY CUTE AND SCARY GIANT WOLF THAT HELA CALLS HER PET IS SO COOL but also undead so yeah ….
- Asgard is a people (and Thor being their king, decides to take them to earth…)
- Ragnarok having a completely different meaning by the end of the film
- “Let me rephrase, how do you think the people will react to you bringing ME back?” “They wouldn’t be very pleased.” and cue what supposedly looks like a giant ass ship from Thanos
- second post credits scene was mostly for the laughs
- NO SOUL STONE IN THIS ONE FOLKS
- things were just a tad rushed in this one but the graphics and fight sequences were gracefully done and i’m satisfied
the scathe of branches, 1.8k, more of that sweet, sweet Loki whump, I’ll end up crossposting these eventually when I’m less lazy but here you go for now, title from the poetic edda cause I’m a pretentious bitch like that, uhhh cw for descriptions of burns I guess
Loki wasn’t entirely certain it would work. The window of time was very short, and the Tesseract did have a mind of its own, of sorts. If it decided it didn’t want to work with him, or even just took time to think about doing so -
It was a better option than the ship, though, which was a great deal further away. And Surtur certainly wasn’t wasting time rising out of the Eternal Flame in all his blazing, destructive, glory. The end of the world. Of Asgard, anyway. And here he was making it happen.
Didn’t quite manage it with Jotunheim. Second time’s the charm?
The trouble, it turned out, didn’t come from the Tesseract itself. It came from Surtur, half out of the flames, turning his head to look at Loki.
He really should not have waited to make sure the Eternal Flame worked as expected. That, in retrospect, had been his real mistake.