For the month of August, all eBooks in our Femmes Fatales series–that means noir, erotica, and melodrama written by women in the 1920s and 1930s–will be $1.99! Throughout this month we’ll be posting about each book to get everyone stoked about these crazy cool lady authors, so here’s the first installment!
10 Reasons why Gypsy Rose Lee is a Smart & Sexy Bad Ass
1. She was almost as famous for her wit as she was for stripping
Lee was considered one of the funniest personalities in burlesque. Men and women both loved her for not only her sensual performances, but also her ability to poke fun at her audiences and make people laugh.
2. She is the pioneer of modern day burlesque
Lee has influenced some of the most famous burlesque dancers today. Dita Von Teese said of Lee, “She always stood for glamour, and made quite a living well after burlesque was dead.”
3. She wrote a best-selling memoir about her colorful life
Lee’s memoir was so wild that historians are still disputing what is fact and what is embellishment.
4. She was a stage performer, movie star, and radio personality
In addition to being one of the most famous burlesque dancers of her day, Lee starred in 13 major motion pictures, had her own TV show The Gypsy Rose Lee Show, and her own radio show, Gypsy.
5. Her autobiography was turned into a famous musical
Her memoir Gypsy inspired the musical by the same name that has been recognized by some as one of the greatest musicals of all time.
6. She was never afraid to speak her mind
Lee was never ashamed to admit that she stripped and really owned her profession. She was regularly arrested during police raids of the theaters she performed in and famously defended herself saying, “I wasn’t naked, I was completely covered by a blue spotlight!”
7. She fought for workers’ rights during the Great Depression
8. She was so popular that even Eleanor Roosevelt was a fan
After Lee performed at the 1940 World’s Fair, Eleanor Roosevelt sent her a telegram that read, “May your bare ass always be shining.”
9. She was an author who penned two mystery novels
Lee wrote two riveting mystery novels called The G-String Murders and Mother Finds a Body that were based off of her experiences in burlesque. Her novels feature a fictionalized version of herself and tell the story of two mysterious murders that she must solve in order to protect herself and those she loves. They’re captivating, witty, and sexy, just like the author!
10. Her novels were republished by the Feminist Press!