International Cooking : Puerto Rico [Part 3 - Las Últimas Recetas]
I know that all the Puerto Ricans already know what the dishes are in Spanish and everything, but I just put description so everyone can be on the same page
1. Jibarito Sandwich: this is a sandwich where plantain replaces the bread, and its usually made with a cut of beef but I made it kind of like a BLT with cheese and mayo-ketchup
2. Polenta : this is cornmeal cooked as a savory dish and other times as a sweeter dish (funche). Often times its cooked and then fried, but I left as is, and molded it as a side dish.
3. Alcapurrias : I heard this is like a beach food, along with bacalaitos. It’s grated yautía blanca (or malanga) and plantain, made into a mix, filled with meat and fried. To me…I could be wrong..it tasted just like fried pasteles 😅😅
4. Ponque (Bizcocho Puertorriqueño) : this is kind of like the American pound cake, soaked with a brandy sugar syrup and frosted. I tried my best to do you guys’ flag lol. Hope it looks decent enough 😅😅.
5. Arroz con Pollo : chicken and rice, estilo puertorriqueño (puerto rican style)
6. Coquito : it’s like an eggnog with puerto rican rum ( I used brown because I prefer it, but people use white too) I know this is probably coming out because Christmas soon reach 😁
7. Arroz Mamposteao : this is simliar to a Guyanese cook up, it’s like a mixed rice with all kinds of wonderfulness. Mine had cut up plantain, chicken chorizo, turkey bacon, onions, sweet green and red peppers, and black beans. 😍
8. Pastelitos de Guayaba, Polvorones or Mantecaditos, and Quesitos : pastelitos de guayaba are a pastry made with a very light and flaky puff pastry dough and filled with guava paste. Mantecaditos are like shortbread cookies. & Quesitos are little pastries made with cream cheese and sometimes also has fruits like pineapple or guava.
9. Papa Rellena : Potato boiled enough to make into kind of a dough to stuff with meat and fry. Unfortunately I rolled it in too much cornstarch and there were bits of white even after frying. 😒
Me encanta comida puertorriqueño. Todas las comidas eran tan sabrosas y maravillosas. I’m sad to finish but then again..I still make a bunch of stuff still soo..it’s all good 😎. .
The next country..or rather countries I’m doing are Ayiti & República Dominicana. Also does anyone want me do anything specific?