The movies and shows that stick with you after you’ve walked out from the cinema or got up from the couch, the books that live on in your head once the cover is closed, are the best kind of story there are.
some random parts of the novel that I wish they had added or hadn’t changed in the movie (CAUTION: there are spoilers for both the film and the novels in this post):
- peter and lara jean’s first kiss being spin the bottle instead of the spur of the moment kiss as they waited for their parents to pick them up from the middle school party. this change made the movie a little weird because it was a game of spin the botttle that gen was mad about for years but in the book their kiss was a secret moment that gen accidentally peeked at, then launching her hatred for lara jean.
- lara jean wearing the heart necklace with the gem in the middle throughout the whole movie as a staple of her wardrobe instead of peter saving up his money to buy it for her from his mom’s store (not to mention I would love to see the angsty “give me the necklace back” scene after they break up and him giving back for her birthday)
- um Kitty never getting her fucking dog! she asks once in the beginning but they never get Jamie Fox-Pickle, a true tragedy
- no dog = no mrs. rothschild/kitty friendship which rip, I love Trina. She’s an icon.
- also a lot less kitty/peter friendship! a HUGE part of the novel is how much peter cares for kitty! there is a specific part in the book where it’s her birthday and he shows up in his two seater to take her to school while lara jean drives herself because he knows how much it means to her. he starts driving his moms mini van on most days so that he can take her to school on top of taking lara jean.
- John Ambrose just fuckin showing up at her house from California when they live in Oregon (which also the relocation of the movie made me sad as a Virginia girl but I get it) because the whole thing is that they become pen pals after he gets her letter and they still live within reason from each other
- the peter kavinsky n john ambrose bromance from their youth! Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid! I wanna see that played out!
- Peter’s flaws and life complications were downplayed which isn’t a bad thing but I think it skewed the story a little bit. Because peter was not a perfect person in the novel and his relationship with Gen was WAY downplayed compared to the book where he continues to sneakily help her while claiming he can’t tell lara jean why (she eventually finds out but still) they also barely touch on the josh/peter feud which is also a key part of the ending of the first book
- the hot tub situation was handled quickly and almost instantly which is not the situation in the book. peter is actually the one who threatens to sue on the grounds of child porn and not margot. they also get way more mocked about the video than in the movie.
- Margot is also pretty absent from the movie, her role is not a lot larger but more present in the novel and I think they could’ve included her a little more
- STORMY. WHERE IS STORMY. WE NEED HER. SHE IS AN ICON. WE NEED HER IN THE NEXT FILM OR ILL SUE. The Stormy/Lara Jean friendship is so important to her character development.
- lara jean’s little baking quirk! baking is such a big part of her identity in the book and it got lost in the movie! HER PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE!
- obviously the first book ended different from the movie; the movie ending was definitely modeled after the opening of the second book but I’m curious to see where they go with it.
I think that’s it but I just LOVED the books so so so so much and I LOVED the movie too but I wish they had made it a series or something so they could’ve added more ? I hope they make the two other books into movies and I can cry about them for days. ugh I love this series and movie so much and yeah I could go on about things I would change but I also wouldn’t change a thing because I’m happy with the way they are as is and ugh representation matters guys