Trump and Staff Rethink Tactics After Stumbles
One thing has become apparent to both the president’s allies as well as his opponents: When it comes to governing, speed does not always guarantee success.
So this NYT article (written by a Glenn and Maggie btw) drops quite a few bombshells:
- The Biggest: Bannon really is pulling Trump’s strings. Bannon wrote the order putting himself on the National Security Council and had Trump sign it. Trump did so without knowing what Bannon had done
- Bannon and Priebus (former RNC chair) are in a huge power struggle. After this disastrous 12 days, it looks like control over Trump’s ear might shift from Bannon back to Priebus for now
- But also, Trump has not fired Bannon, even after a deceptive, bold power grab that humiliated him. This makes me think Bannon’s hold on Trump goes pretty deep. Certainly deeper than the establishment GOP
- Btw, Trump pretty much just signs whatever executive orders. He only offers input into them after they’ve been drafted
- Trump’s Dad’s middle name was Christ
- Trump has no photos of his wife, kids, or other family up anywhere in the West Wing, just his father Fred Christ Trump
- Trump is totally isolated. His adult kids are off playing DC socialite, Melania and Baron are in NYC, and he is flanked by yes men who will not (can not?) tell him when he’s screwing up, but are clearly more than happy to talk to the Press. Leaks abound. When confronted by the painful reality that people hate him, and his agenda is getting derailed by the judiciary (and the fact that people hate him), Trump is frustrated and confused.
- Trump is vain and image-obsessed (we already knew this)