When I became an entrepreneur, I dreamed of working from home. No commute, flexible hours, and not having to do my hair. And then that dream came true.
However, after a few weeks, I realized working from home is way harder than I imagined. I did not know there were so many means of procrastination. I had to make some changes and fast if I wanted to get work done.
Here are some rules I learned along the way to help me avoid procrastination.
1. Set up a work area. Sit a table or desk. No couch or bed.
2. Maintain a start and stop time. It doesn’t have to be the traditional 9-5, after all you are at home. But setting an alarm to wake up and get to work keeps your brain on track.
3. Get Dress. You don’t have to put on a suit or dress but for me putting on causal attire puts me in a state to work rather than my pajamas.
4. Stay from distractions. Turn off the TV and social media alerts that are not business related.
5. Make a to do list. Make a list of everything you need to complete for that day. This will keep you on track and away from procrastination.
6. Take a lunch break. Just like you would do at a job off site. Allow yourself some leisure time to recharge and prepare you to go back to work.
What are some rules you have for staying focused when working from home?