Yields 5-6 donuts
The things you’ll needIngredients
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1 box vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon juice
- Yellow food coloring
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Dry pastry brush
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutter ring
- Candy thermometer
- Baking sheet lined with paper towels
- Decorating bag fitted with a #2A tip
- Black and red royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #2 tips
- Small paintbrush
- Pink luster dust
- Frying oil
Let’s get started!
- In a small bowl, mix warm milk, yeast and sugar and allow to sit for 10 minutes to activate.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast mixture, egg yolks, butter and almond extract. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly mix in flour, and then add the salt half way through adding the flour.
- Once all the flour is mixed in, knead for a few minutes.
- Place dough into a greased bowl and allow to sit until it has doubled in size.
- Place rested dough into a floured surface and carefully form it into a flat disc.
- Use a ring cookie cutter to cut out 5 or 6 donuts. Cover the donuts with a towel adn let them rest about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil to 350ºF, keeping track of the temperature with a candy thermometer.
- When the donuts have sest for about 10 to 15 minutes, place them in the hot oil.
- Fry a few minutes on each side and then use a spider to place each donut onto a baking sheet lined with paper towel. Allow to cool.
- Combine pudding mix with 2 cups of colk milk and mix until well combined. Use a #2A tip to fill donuts with vanilla cream.
Time to decorate!
- Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice and whisk until desired consistency. Use food coloring to dye the icing yellow.
- Pipe Emoji faces onto each donut using red and black royal icing.