Mega is a vinyl customizable toy designed by Emirati artist Mo Abedin, http://foo-dog.com/mega and this is the second time around I am customizing one for Project Mega | the Dubai Mall edition.
I’ve had the privilege of designing a Mega way back in 2010. Back then, my style was a lot more colorful and “line-y” than it is now. Posting it here just for old time’s sake.
I was able to document the work-in-progress of the 2nd one; so here it goes:
1. I spraypainted the already black flowers with black acrylic to make them more stiff.
2. The antlers are made of air-drying terracota and are wrapped around a wireframe, so that they dont fall off in pieces.
3. I had somebody help me out with the spray-painting the toy matte black. I think this shot looks a bit sinister :P
4. Next, was finally painting the little face on the mega. She looks a little bit like a ninja here.
5. Here she is, with the antlers and the flowers finally attached. I thought that the white antlers looked rather nice actually.
6. Painted the antlers black because I wanted the mega to have a uniform color. As a finishing touch, I placed butterflies (bought from a crafts store in Satwa) on the antlers.
Friends were kind enough to take pictures of my Mega displayed in the Dubai Mall fountain area, and this is her inside her glass case. Her type “Interruption” on the black platform and nametag is also handpainted.