I had a dream last night that I was playing this post-apocalyptic game where all of the people except you and your crew were turned into horrifying monsters
The way the game worked was it would open to you and your Cool Group of Angsty Survivors and their base is taken over by the monsters. So the whole point of the game is to survive long enough to get to another safe place.
You have four people in a team and you all just. Line up side to side and go in a straight line. You have one gun that does a set amount of damage (other weapons are available instead of a gun and some are pink and sparkly)
The monsters come at you in a straight line and basically, you have to fight them off, walking backwards to make sure you have enough time to beat them
So basically the object of the game would be to figure out how to fight each monster specifically so you go forward more than you go back and make it to a checkpoint
And you’d have this journal you make of every monster you see, with all the info on how to beat them, whether you were the one who fought the monster, or one of the other three players with you
You can play solo, but if three of the four people in your group dies but the fourth one makes it, all four of you can still progress, so single player mode is super hard. Computer players are available but they kinda suck
And as you go along you discover all of the other people have become these monsters, and certain monsters target certain people so there’s only so many monsters you can see on your own
Some monsters may specifically like to target girls over boys. Some may target people under the age of 20. Some may just want to only fight people who have a sparkly pink sword. The more odd the thing is that attracts the monsters, the harder it is to find them
So as you go through the game you have two objectives, get to a safe spot and end the game, or the optional one to keep heading out every day to find new monsters
I go back and forth about whether I would want to try it [flatline] or not. I’m curious about what the experience would be like. What I would see and how it would affect me and how it would change me. But at the same time, I have a pretty awesome life and I’m pretty grateful for everything that I have and I don’t know if I would want to risk it. It’s a risk and a gamble and to be honest I’m not a big gambler. I don’t know why I would gamble with my life when I won’t even do it with money.
I'm looking for advices on how to deal with trauma in a relationship. My partner and I are both survivors and we both have cptsd and it can be really hard bc we're both sabotaging your relationship. Do you have any ressources on that? Thx you very much for your awesome blog.
this is a pretty difficult question, because if you google it, you get a lot of sites saying “how to date someone with ptsd” where all they talk about is what the symptoms are, which obviously you both are already familliar with, and then you get a few results saying “how to date someone when you have ptsd” which is also unhelpful because all their advice is “try to act normal” and “dont tell them about the trauma right away” which. doesn’t apply at all to your situation.
this is the best i got, because there are zero resources for two people with ptsd dating. here’s the most helpful bit (copied and pasted)
People with PTSD can create and maintain good relationships by:
Building a personal support network to help cope with PTSD while working on family and friend relationships
Sharing feelings honestly and openly, with respect and compassion
Building skills at problem solving and connecting with others
Including ways to play, be creative, relax, and enjoy others
and frankly im not sure how helpful that really is either. so because there are no resources i can give you, i’ll try to give you some advice instead. this is from personal experience, as i have also been in a relationship where we both had ptsd. now granted, that relationship failed, but not because we kept messing up. anyway. this is going to be long, and im not saying everything will work for you, but try to give it some thought anyway.
1) like it says above, be honest with each other. as much as possible. butalso try to be sensitive. maybe both of you could write a list of triggers for yourself, and give it to the other person, so that you know what to avoid. so for instance, say you get triggered by X, and you need support. but on your partner’s trigger list, it says they also get triggered by X. so going to them for help is just going to hurt them, and you won’t get any support from it. so maybe whenever you get triggered by X, go to a friend who doesn’t get triggered by X, and get support from them. and then (and this is important), let your partner know about the incident. you can say “i got triggered real bad by something on both of our lists”, and then say “and i went to my friend for support so that i wouldn’t trigger you”. and then, let your partner comfort you.
regarding mutual triggers, friends (or honestly even blogs like mine, but just having someone who can talk you down and calm you) are for support. partners are for comfort. so after you have calmed, maybe ask to cuddle your partner, or call them on the phone, or skype.
2) this ties into number 1. if part of the problem is that you both (or one of you) keeps trying to destroy the relationship because of low self-esteem (i.e. “i don’t deserve you”), then come up with a word or phrase that means “i don’t mean this and i love you but my ptsd is telling me to push you away”. lets say you choose the words “milk crate”. you want it to be short, and not something you say very often. so if your partner is acting destructive, and saying things that are clearly intended to make you break up with them, then ask them the phrase. and they can either reply “milk crate” right back, which is a confirmation and tells you that they dont mean it and can’t help it, or else they say “no”, which means that they are serious.
the purpose of having a phrase like this is to make it easier for both of you to say what you mean. if im in a bad way, the last thing i’m able to do is rationally explain that i love someone and i care about them and i’m sorry. like. i cant do it. i’d rather isolate myself forever. but if i already have a set phrase that means exactly what i want to say, then it’s much easier to just say that phrase.
3) you can create codewords for everything. if one of you has memory problems, then write them down. carry a list in your wallet, if you have to. create a codeword for “i love you but i cant handle human interaction right now”. create a codeword for “if you keep trying to talk to me i’m gonna explode so please go away”. create a codeword for “please don’t leave me alone right now”.
one of the parts of ptsd is a feeling that its impossible to get other people to understand, and there’s no point in trying to communicate with anyone else. having a system of codewords reinforces the fact that 1) you have a human who understands you and cares about you and 2) you don’t need to try very hard to communicate a few very important things.
4) understand that sometimes you will want love, and your partner will not even want to be in the same room as you, and vice versa. this might even happen a lot of the time. it will suck. but you have to remember that it’s nobody’s fault when it happens. you’re not being too needy. they’re not being too distant. you both have ptsd. this is unavoidable. if you need comfort and your partner absolutely can’t provide it, go to a close friend, explain what you need, and ask for it.
5. if this is a long distance relationship (or one where you dont see each other every day in school or work or home), try to check in every day. if one of you often has days where you go nonverbal (extreme difficulty communicating, sometimes a complete lack of ability to communicate), create a codeword for that. lets say the word you come up with to signify nonverbal days is “pillowcase”. if your partner hasn’t talked to you all day, text them “pillowcase?” to which they can reply yes or no. or, if you know you’re currently having a nonverbal day, try to text them first: pillowcase. and then they will know that you’re not ignoring them, you just cant talk.
6. if you are not already both in therapy, please book therapists appointments. there’s no shame in needing a therapist, and having one will help both of you, in general life, and also in your relationship. i understand if it’s not possible (if you are minors, or else if you can’t afford one), but if you can, do.
that’s all i can think of. i hope this was helpful, and i hope your relationship smooths out.
Thank you all so much on 100 followers! I know that seems very minimal but the fact that 100 of you guys want more of my posts is pretty awesome to say the least. To make up for a lack of posts (which I will do more of, I promise), here is a bit of my study guide for Auditing!
get ready for a dumb question, what does WIP mean? also the way you make your sims makes me cry in jealousy
It’s not a dumb question. Back when I started my Simblr, I thought it meant “whip” and people meant it as if they were “whipping up some custom content”, lmao. It stands for “Work In Progress”. Don’t be jealous, ‘cus I’m pretty sure you make some awesome Sims! <3
@Nova: We all know how you feel about Conner, but how do you feel about the others?
Nova: Oh Well Jack’s pretty awesome when he’s not trying to torment you and burn something down. or you know magic everything *jazz hands* Umm Roman is…*her hearts turn bright pink* yeah. Sol’s a brat who gets everything, so unfair. Viktor is my other brother because duh family and Missy…..(eyes Missy carefully) a very strange friend/rival. a frival if you will…a rivernd? that thing
What is your headcanon on the extended Tracy family? According to you, does Scott still keep contact with his uncles/does he have cousins etc. (I think Parker mentioned Jeff's brothers in the episode Designated Driver)?
I haven’t really got many headcanons about the extended Tracy family. I tend to focus on my boy so I’ve asked the RP fam for their thoughts and :D **dons glasses**
The consensus was that our Jeff is one of three brothers. I like to think he’s the youngest but that’s just personal preference.
It’d be pretty cool if Jeff’s other brothers were as awesome as him so we’re thinking one of them might be a paramedic, perhaps a doctor. Something awesome related to medicine. And because the Tracy family is made of 100% awesomeness, perhaps the other brother’s a fireman.
I love the idea of a wildfire spiralling way outta control so along comes International Rescue. And afterwards perhaps there’s a senior fireman down on the ground who sorta strangely resembles Scott despite the grey hair and the burns. And he salutes and the boys salute their uncle right back :D
@theoldwayworkstoo pointed out that Gramma Tracy is often missing from the island. It makes sense that she’d spend a lot of time with her other boys and grandchildren and torment them with cookies too.
18.02.17 (Day 33/100) “Progress will always find you if you have the determination to put one foot in front of the other regardless of the cost.”
Track of the day: Afire Love - Ed Sheeran
Today has been a really good day! Spent most of it with some pretty awesome people, drank just the right amount of coffee and have been a total domestic goddess in that my room is now clean, my bathroom washed down, my washing all done and the ironing basket now none-existent! Just settling down now to writing up some notes on Membrane Transport and Genetic Mutations!
Run: shout out to my lovely @awholeguitarupmyass for being an absolute badass and accompanying me on my run along the canal! Very very impressed by the effort put in and very grateful for the company!
✨ Give this star to everyone and anyone who ever cheered you up when you were feeling down, or has your back when you felt like everyone was against you. If you get five back, I'd say your a pretty awesome human being! 🌸