NOPE. Here’s what’s really selfish:
- Having a child if you do truly do not want one.
- 7 billion people on this planet with 53,000,000 orphans worldwide.
- An adoption system that excludes loving LGTB families, atheists, and single-parent households.
- Adding more social pressure to those struggling with infertility.
- Using your celebrity status to spread shame, guilt, and hate, instead of joy, love, and compassion.
Children do not exist to further your precious name or genes, take care of you when you’re old, or make you a better [Insert Religion Here].
If you cannot imagine your life without a child, then go forth and procreate! You can also adopt, foster, mentor, or help a child through random acts of kindness.
I do not say this as a mother, religious leader, or person with celebrity status. I say this as a person that was an unwanted child.