Language learners think Spanish is bad because if you stress the wrong syllable you could accidentally call your dad a potato.
But Japanese is much worse. If you’re trying to call someone kind and leave out one mora, you’ve called them a vegetable. Make the slightest pronunciation error when trying to call someone cute and you’ve just called them frightening.
I need people with whom to conversate in literally any language. If I’m not already learning it, it’s somewhere on my list, and I’ll gladly start right on it if you give me a use for it. Sooooooo you should message me if you’re interested. (Tumblr has a messaging thing, right?) Thankie.
“Always repost the rules. Answer 11 random questions posted for you. Create 11 new questions and tag 11 people. Let the person who tagged you know that you’ve answered.”
1. Android or Iphone? I have an iPhone. I like the idea of Android (basically I like that it isn’t Apple), but when I’ve tried it in the past (on other people’s phones), I haven’t been too impressed with its design. I guess I’m just too used to iOS.
2. What are you currently listening to, or what was the last thing you listened to? I think the last thing must have been something on my phone - Stereopony, Jesse & Joy, Thaeme & Thiago, something of that sort - er, well, those admittedly quite dissimilar sorts.
3. What country were you born in? Les États-Unis d’Amérique (I had to make this answer more interesting somehow).
4. What’s one country that you would perhaps want to live in? Um, like, most of them? Then again, also not most of them. But in a perfect world, most of them.
5. If you could only learn one language other than your native language(s) (A nightmare, I know), which one would you most likely choose? My answer to this will change every second, but right now I’m feeling… Classical Ainu?
6. What are some names that you would name your child (any gender) if you were to have one? I’ve always really liked Skye for a boy. For a girl… something with autumny coloured letters, probably (Ts, Rs, Ss, As, etc.)? There are a lot that I really love.
7. What show are you binge-watching (Or have most recently binge-watched)? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm… It’s been a new show every night, pretty much. Longerish term, let’s go with Star Wars: the Clone Wars, which I’ve been catching up on in preparation for the upcoming film.
8. If you were to learn a dead language, which one would you choose? Take a wild guess.
9. One of your favourite video games? (If you play them. Phone apps count if you don’t) Right now, I’m just so in love with Freedom Planet.
10. Alice in Wonderland or Wizard of Oz? Wonderland, of course. There are just so many more possibilities in its world than in that of Oz, and I much prefer the overall “feel” of it as well.
11. What is your favourite thing about learning another language? Just getting to know the language itself. I find everything about their structures and various other traits so fascinating. Is that a weird answer?
If you spoke every language your recent ancestors (say, no further back than your great-grandparents) spoke, how many languages would that be, and which (you may include their learned languages, if you are aware of them)?
What is your favourite language region of the world (for example: “Southeast Asia”, “Northern Africa”, etc.)?
Why did you start learning your first (non-native) language?
Why did you start learning your most recently taken-up language?
What is your favourite English word (answer only with its translation into another language)?
What are your current primary target languages (if a definite list exists)?
What is your favourite letter (or other character if applicable) out of those in your first (or given) name?
What is your current-generation video game console of choice?
If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
If you were a plant, what plant would you be?
Feelings on the question of the animacy of dogs?
I tag (and subsequently appologise for tagging, in the case that some have been tagged by others previously): @ace-of-linguistics, @languageoclock, @wanna-be-polyglot, and eh, I don’t really have nine other people I want to tag. If you want to do it, go for it.