Some things about Net Neutrality being threatened that I haven’t seen many comments on:
- The OOOONNLY people benefiting from this possible rollback are corporate shareholders.
- The removal of NN would result in few if any new jobs whatsoever, so any argument that it would help the economy is null and void (btw, we’re not actually in a recession anymore, in case anyone still thought that. The US’s economy, while it has plateaued in actual growth at about 2%, it’s actually pretty high in the business cycle.)
- Limitation and partisan censorship is a major concern (I lied that one is what everyone is talking about)
- In fact it will HURT online businesses, which will damage the small business sector in general.
- And last but not least: It is going to have a majorly negative impact on the education system. I just finished highschool in May and let me tell you, even rural schools are getting more and more technology and internet dependent. Students frequently, if not regularly, are sent home with online assignments. How can students possibly be expected to finish an online homework assignment if they can’t even remotely begin to afford internet? This is already an issue in rural and poor and POC dominated areas, and should Net Neutrality be removed and access to the internet be placed back into money hungry corporate hands, it will be an even more massive and far worse problem that will only perpetuate low education levels in these areas. what if their assignment requires research on a website that their partisan provider has decided to censor? You get a zero. Especially if you’re a college student that can’t afford another $150 a month just to get ok-ish internet speeds.
- This gives me great concern for marginalized and outcast kids. The internet has been one of the very, very few places where LGBT+ and POC children and people in general can go and feel safe and accepted and loved and celebrated for how/who they are. Imagine that that’s the ONLY place you feel safe and okay and then that gets taken away from you. Early teen suicide rates are already high enough.
This is all just a disgusting money grab by the GOP and other politicians who are invested in cable and cellular companies. Call or message your congressional representatives to oppose. Drown them in resistance. I’ve already found several posts with links that let you do that.
The Tories are planning to carry out a snap election to determine leadership for the next four years. It has been almost 40 years since we last had one and they are often called by the ruling party in a time that they believe is best for them in order to galvanize their position in government.
This is based on their own interpretation of public opinions and chances of victory. In other words, they are very confident of 4 more years of Tory oppression.
But we CAN prove them wrong!
Please, make sure to spread the word, make sure people are registered to vote and keep up to date with policies and mandates that will be put forward. Its only day one and already things are firing up, so lets keep that momentum and bring about some goddamn change for the better here.
It’s as we all thought. Jon just sucks at debate. He was actually trying to point out the hypocrisy of identity politics being anti-white when being white is just as legitimate of an identity. He’s not against immigration, he’s only against mass immigration. He explicitly states he’s not an ethno-nationalist while admitting he understands that, from his wording, people would be mistaken.
you know, it gets said all the fucking time, but I’m still mad about it, people with chronic pain get fucking penalized for smoking weed, or having edibles, instead of taking opiates, when we all know damn well opiates are harder on your health than cannabis. 8)
see what happens is, at least in michigan, you have to get your blood tested every once in a while if you’re prescribed opiates for chronic pain, if you test positive for weed twice, you can never again be prescribed opiates. 8))))) if you dont think that’s fucked up I don’t know what to tell you.
people literally getting fucked over for making healthier decisions. lmao i fucking hate everything.