you can hate arthur poe all you like and that’s great, but honestly, he’s too singled out from all of the useless adults.
- josephine anwhistle was too cowardly to do jack shit when her adopted children’s lives were in danger.
- charles didn’t do anything about his abusive boyfriend/husband/partner/whatever when sir forced children (including a LITERAL INFANT, CANONICALLY UNDER ONE YEAR OLD) to work in a life-threatening lumbermill.
- like? everybody? did nothing about an academy (presumably registered to the state, so plenty of people would be aware of that) forcing children to sleep in a dirty SHACK just because they were orphans
- jerome squalor just sat back and didn’t stand up to his abusive wife for? plotting? to? get? five? children? kidnapped? and? all? eventually? killed?
- hector kept his ugly ass mouth shut because oh!! wouldn’t want to draw attention to me when, i dunno, my adopted children are about to get wrongfully convicted of MURDER!
like the entire series is just a commentary on how society ignores children because they’re children. maybe these characters didn’t individually do as shit as mr poe, but, added up, they’re just as bad.
obviously you can still like the characters, and it’s nothing against them personally, it’s just all showing how the system brushes off what children say because they’re just kids, you know? and the system isn’t arthur poe’s fault just as it isn’t jerome’s fault. they were both taught their willful ignorance.