Hey everyone! We just finished the teaser trailer for Roll Reversal, the D&D podcast I’m working on with @kimpossibooty with a weekly rotating cast of players trying to make their way through a campaign with the same 3 characters. If you want to see this be made into a full series please share this post, show the trailer to your friends, and subscribe on iTunes or wherever you listen to podcasts.
honestly the phrase “this podcast is ruining my goddamn life” has been relevant to me since 2012. back then, it was welcome to night vale. right now, it’s the adventure zone and wolf 359. like no joke, imma be a crotchety ass 99 y/o grandmama on her death bed still sobbing over some dope ass audio masterpiece, clinging to my bedsheets as i begin to slip away from this mortal coil. i’ll let out a shaky, angry breath, and for the last time, the phrase “this podcast is ruining my goddamn life” will leave my lips, and i’ll literally just fucking die as i lived: getting the shit kicked out of me by some asshole shitbaby dumbasses mouthbreathing into a microphone. fuck
I’m a huge fan of podcasts so, here’s a few for those boring bus rides to school.
Docudramas - these are podcasts that are meant to seem like real life with a twist. while not for the faint of hear, gullible, or paranoid utterly enjoyable.
- the black tapes: a podcast by Pacific Northwest Stories which follows Alex Reagan exploring interesting people, most notably Dr. Richard Strand in the world of paranormal investigation.
- tanis: another podcast by Pacific Northwest Stories. this one follows Nic Silver as he looks for perhaps the last genuine mystery in the Information Age.
- rabbits: Pacific Northwest Stories strikes again, but this time in a little bit of a shorter (for now) story line. When Carly Parker’s friend Yupik goes missing, she delves into the world of an ancient game called rabbits which has worldly and otherworldly implications.
- limetown: a podcast by Two-Up which follows the mysterious disappearance of the residence of limetown, a city of scientists, after an emergency that not one seems to understand.
- the message/lifeafter: (it’s called life/after right now but the episodes of the message are near the beginning) podcasts by Panoply. the message is about a team of linguists figuring out an extraterrestrial message that has been sent to earth. life/after looks at what if an app could connect you to a dead loved one, and what would you do to keep that connection.
The Radio Show - these are styles like a talk show but are often bizarre and have twists and quirks
- welcome to night vale: a podcast by night vale presents. this podcast is fairly well known now, and for good reason. This mysterious town of night vale and its wonderful host Cecil Gershwin Palmer announces the news of the day and have done so for ~5 years now. with drama and a really nice voice as well as some wonderful cooing over carlos’s perfect hair, it’s what got me into podcasts.
- king falls am: a podcast by king falls am. a weird town, aliens, creepy towns folk, some real shade towards the US presidency, king falls am shows an early morning am talk show often overshadowed by their more popular and successful counter parts. Funny and intriguing.
- kakos industries: a very, very explicit podcast by kakos industries. (if you’re not good with a lot of frank talk about sex, then this is not for you) corin deeth the third is the CEO of kakos industries whose main aim is to do evil better. a company about the evil in the world, its comedic and comes in the form of an update for those with shares in the company.
Science Fiction - My favourite genre and often with comedy, these podcasts are hopeful and yet to “down to earth (haha)”
- eos 10, a scifi radio play: a podcast by Justin McLachlan. doctors on a space station called eos 10 deal with so much hilarity and difficulty. Dr. Ryan Dalius is transferred as head surgeon to help Dr. Arviddien deal with alcoholism which has stunted his practise.
- ars paradoxica: a podcast by ars PARADOXICA. Time travel and the effects of it is the story line of this podcast, amazingly made and shows Dr. Sally Grissom after being transported back to the 40’s in war time USA.
- marscorp: a podcast by Definitely Human. When EL Hob is woken she expects the mars colony to be started, but among many other mistakes and hilarity, there is laziness at work.
- the strange case of the starship iris: a podcast by Procyon Podcasts. When Violet Liu narrowly escapes the destruction of her starship, she is rescues by some travellers, but they are not what they seem, and soon the misfit crew will uncover a huge conspiracy.
- wolf 359: a crew aboard a ship has so much misfortune, I’m so sorry Douglas:(, but this crew manages to keep a ship falling apart in the middle of space, with some difficulty.
- the penumbra podcast: a podcast by Sophie Kaner and Kevin Vibert. the penumbra pod follows a few stories, but most notably the story of Juno Steel, a detective in Hyperion City on mars. He solves crimes, all while being a bitter lady, with the help of his assistant Rita.
- alice isn’t dead: a podcast by night vale presents. When a truckers wife, called Alice goes missing and is presumed dead, Alice’s wife (the trucker) goes on an adventure to look for her, but someone or something doesn’t want her to.
- the bright sessions: dr. Bright is a therapist for people with super powers, need I say more?
- return home: when a demonic voice summons Jonathon Parker to his hometown, curious things begin to happen and he is left the task of sorting them out.
If you ever thought about starting a podcast, but felt stuck figuring out where to being, I wrote this for you. Three years of making @wolf359radio and @focusedafshow, I’ve learned a lot and packed as much of it as I could in this epic Medium post.
If you like my article, please recommend it on Medium by pressing the green heart!
Also, I’d appreciate if you’d share it with anyone you think would get value from it :)
Podcasting has unequivocally changed my life for the better and I hope you consider letting it transform your world, too!
there's no POC or LGBTQ+ representation in media :/
*sleep on podcasts/audio dramas with plenty of rep, authors like Nicola Yoon and Adam silver, shows like The Carmichael Show, The Get Down, One Day At A Time, Jessica Jones, and The Fosters until they get cancelled*
What I love about podcasts is how forgiving they of rough starts. Like your first episode sucked? Okay. You had terrible sound quality? That’s fine. You had a little trouble finding direction? That’s okay! I feel like people who listen to podcasts have a better understanding that what’s now is not forever, and that let’s so many amazing projects take off. There are so many TV shows that could’ve been great but were canceled because of a shitty pilot, but podcasts and podcasters are able and encouraged to continue their efforts. Frick I love podcasts
listening to podcasts is my favorite thing to do. I listen to a lot of podcasts that range from education, drama, to horror. I listen to them when I’m on the bus ride home, cleaning, or doing homework. since I love podcasts, I decided that I would share some of them with you guys today. without further ado…
1. ALICE ISN’T DEAD
Alice Isn’t Dead is a fictional series that follows a truck driver who’s searching for her wife across America. During her search, she encounters things that aren’t so human, a huge conspiracy, and mysterious towns.
Limetown is a podcast that focuses on the disappearance of over three hundred men, women, and children from a small town in Tennessee over ten years ago. The podcast follows a reporter named Lia Haddock who’s inquisitive nature leads her to find the answer to this question: “What happened to the people of Limetown?”
Spines is the story of a girl named Wren who wakes up covered in blood, surrounded by the remains of a strange cult ritual,and suffering from meory loss.
4. THE BRIGHT SESSIONS
The Bright Sessions is a podcast that focuses on therapy sessions for atypicals.
5. WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE
Welcome to Night Vale is a podcast told through a radio show thaat gives community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale. It has everything you would ever need: local weather, news, announcements from the Sherrif’s Secret Police, warnings to stay away from the dog park (because there’s no humans allowed, duh), angels, dark hodded figures with unknown powers, mysterious lights in the sky and cultural events.
6. ON BEING with KRISTA TIPPETT
On Being is a podcast that asks the big questions of meaning to scientists, artists, teachers, etc.
MarsCorp is podcast about Station Supervisor E.L. Hob’s first year at MarsCorp. MarsCorp is a colony established on Mars in 2070.
8. WITHIN THE WIRES
Within the Wires is a podcast set in an alternate reality. This podcast tells stories under the persona of instructional audio programs that guide the listener through different audio experiences that later reveal a more personal story.
from the many podcasts I listen to, these are my top 8 at the moment. check them out (i need someone to fangirl too) and let me know what you think. I wouldn’t mind talking to someone about this. like always, if you have any questions or comments, let me know! stay tuned for the next post.