in honour of march being #trypod month, here’s everything you need to know about podcasts! (part two here)
what the heck even are podcasts?
podcasts are audio shows that are either in episode or radio format, which you can download and listen to whenever you like, for free!! there are both fiction and non fictional podcasts, so there is something for everyone
why should i listen to these?
podcasts are similar to audiobooks and radio shows in that you can listen to them anywhere, on your phone or computer, and are ideal for commutes and journeys (i personally listen to most of mine on the bus to and from school). most podcasts are made by people as a hobby rather than their job, so you can support them by listening as well
where can i find podcasts?
pretty much every podcast ever is available on itunes and spotify, and many apps for non apple devices
cool, can you give me some recommendations?
welcome to night vale [weird and spooky fantasy] is about a small town in america, where a lot of weird crap goes on, but here in night vale this is generally completely normal. this is pretty much how everyone gets into podcasts, and is a really good starting point for listening to fiction podcasts
the bright sessions [sci-fi] is about some folks with superpower in therapy trying to learn about themselves, their powers and how to control them. honest to god this is my most favourite fiction podcast ever, i love it with all of my heart and cannot recommend this enough.
the orbiting human circus of the air [fantasy?] is about an old-timey radio show that broadcasts from the top of the eiffel tower. this is honestly such a joy to listen to, and has some wonderful stories with really interesting ways of telling them
wolf 359 [sci-fi and comedy] is about a small crew in a space station, orbiting the red dwarf star, wolf 359. it starts off pretty light hearted and gets pretty wild pretty quickly, so buckle in for a bumpy ride. (they did a live show and recorded it and put it on youtube and it is honestly such a gift seeing zach jump back and forth arguing with himself.)
the penumbra podcast [noir/fantasy/western/horror] is really queer. its great. the main stories follow a non-binary pi named juno steel, but there are other stories on the feed too that are well worth a listen (and season 2 premiers really soon!)
eos 10 [sci-fi and comedy] is about some doctors in space. its hilarious (the main plot arc starts with a boner that just will not go away) and the characters are super interesting. its been on break for a really long time, but is on its way back soon, so keep your eyes peeled!
the strange case of starship iris [sci-fi adventure] is new and really cleverly done. im still blown away by how cool the end credits are, everytime i hear them. its also about gays in space which is cool also ;)
the adventure zone [comedy and adventure] is barely a fiction podcast as it is 3 brothers and their dad playing d&d. if you have never played d&d, or think its boring, then dont let that deter you, because this podcast is the funniest one i have listened to. it starts a little slowly, so be prepared for that, but it really picks up a few episodes in, and griffin’s story telling gets SO good, i really recommend this one as well
dead serious [supernatural] is about two teens who discover that the local haunted house is actually Haunted and talk to the ghosts living there about their lives and deaths (this is mine ;))
spirits is 2 women chatting about really cool myths and legends, both old and new, from all of the world, whilst quite tipsy. this was the first podcast i listened to and i fell in love. i personally recommend the “japanese urban legend” episode its super creepy and super cool
dead pilots society is a table reading of tv pilots that are bought by companies but never made. they so far have all been comedies and include well known writers and actors, and are great for long journeys, as well as one time listening if you don’t want to get too emotionally involved in anything
my brother my brother and me is a really bad advice show and really good comedy podcast run by 3 brothers (the same ones in the adventure zone minus their dad) who answer questions and give terrible advice that is hilarious to listen to. they also made a tv show on seeso recently, which you can also check out the first episode on yt!
international waters is a quiz show between british and american comedians which is interesting and hilarious, with different contestants each week to keep it fresh and interesting
i have a ton more i could talk about, but these are some of my highlights. if you want any recommendations, feel free to message me or drop me an ask!
Aliens? They like classical music, and we're going to exploit them because ~capitalism~.
The Penumbra Podcast:
Aliens? Their stuff is pretty cool, but they're extinct and we live here now.
Aliens? Great gardeners. We're taking credit for their existence. If they try to conquer Earth, we're taking credit for that too.
Welcome to Night Vale:
Aliens? Whaaaaaaat? Who said anything about aliens??? They TOTALLY don't run the government and use humanity as a testing ground for reality-altering technology. LOOK AT THIS CUTE CAT AND ALSO MY HOT SCIENTIST HUSBAND STOP THINKING ABOUT ALIENS WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO THINK ABOUT THE ALIENS!!!!!
Alice Isn't Dead:
Aliens? *deep sigh* This country is obsessed with the idea of "otherness". We label those who are different from us, those we deem unworthy of sharing this land, as "other". As "illegal aliens". Why? Is it such a crime to be different? Is otherness inherently bad?
Aliens? ALIENS???? ARE ALIENS REAL TOO?? WE HAVE ENOUGH TO WORRY ABOUT IN OUR OWN GODFORSAKEN OCEAN WE CAN'T WORRY ABOUT ALIENS TOO!!! Also hey I have a cool story about aliens.
(I’ve seen a few of these for other McElroy shows, so I’m going to make one about one of my favorite podcasts for a show I have never watched)
– when it goes dead silent for fifteen seconds because Rachel and Griffin are both laughing so hard – “For MY friends?” – Griffin trying to get Rachel to harmonize with him – When Rachel doesn’t understand a reference and Griffin puts on his “oh honey” voice – “Pigs in the castle” – Some serious discourse about how shows can be shitty (but it’s ok to still love them for what they are) – Superwater Zero RIP – The fact that Rachel just has the sweetest voice and laugh and is like a hug for your ears – Whenever Rachel makes an innuendo and you can hear how Griffin is both surprised and proud – Roze Buddiez – THE ENTIRE EPISODE WHERE GRIFFIN AND RACHEL TALK ABOUT HOW THEY MET AND I DID NOTHING BUT CRY BECAUSE IT WAS SO SWEET
1. My Favorite Murder - Two hilarious women talk about murder, among (a lot of) other things. (Non-Fiction, weekly ongoing)
2. The Strange Case Of The Starship Isis - What if Firefly, but everyone was queer? (Fiction, ongoing?)
3. Can I Pet Your Dog - A Dog Haver and A Dog Wanter talk about dogs, often to really cool people. (Non-Fiction, Weekly ongoing)
4. The Bright Sessions - Therapy for people with superpowers; what could go wrong? (Fiction, currently in the second season)
5. The Dollop - A dude who did research tells a dude who didn’t about history. (Non-Fiction, weekly)
6. Limetown - The best/creepiest/most amazing podcast about an entire town that disappeared. (Fiction, only 1 season, likely dead, but so well done it is worth a listen)
7. My Brother, My Brother, And Me - Good, good, goof boys give bad, bad, hilarious advice (Non-Fiction, weekly ongoing)(be warned the early stuff can be problematic, but honestly who wasn’t shittier 7 years ago?)
8. Welcome To Night Vale/Alice Isn’t Dead - Beautiful Gay Protagonist talks about the creepy shit that happens to them. (Fiction, WTNV weekly ongoing, AID in its second season)
9. How Did This Get Made - The best Bad Movie Podcast with amazing guests and Jason Mantzoukas who I’m not sure if I love or hate. (Non-Fiction, bi-weekly with minis in between) (It’s love)
10. The Adventure Zone - The most talented DM I have ever heard wrangles three family members while creating some of my fave gay characters. (Fiction-ish, bi-weekly)