Hello again guys! Here are some tips about brushes- once again, I’m no expert, so explore these points on your own! Some of these are a little more abstract, while others are to help deal with minor brush annoyances ;)
1. PHOTOSHOP BRUSHES are based on a “stamp” system, not a brush system like some painting programs. That is why photoshop brushes are great for things like chains and repeated patterns, but you have to fiddle with them a bit to make them look natural. 2. The first brush setting underneath the brush panel you must become familiar with is “transfer.” this tab plays with the opacity and flow of the brush. 3. As stated in previous tutorials, the essential hotkeys for brushwork are: [/]= brush size larger and smaller alt= eyedropper tool Numbers= opacity of brush Shift+Number= flow of brush 4. Brush icon not showing up/ behaving correctly? Usually one of four things: Caps Lock is on, Edit in Quick Mask Mode is on (which can be found on your left main tool panel), the brush blend mode is on a different setting (found next to opacity and flow), or you have something selected (crtl+d will do the trick). 5. DON’T knock the photoshop brush sets that come with the program. Many artists I know use these brushes while tweaking the settings. Consider utilizing settings such as dual brush and texture to make these ordinary brushes great. 6. Brushes with large amounts of detailed texture tend to pixelate and not work correctly when scaled down too far. 7. Trying to create a natural brush tip? Brush settings>Shape Dynamics> Angle Jitter> Control: Direction. This will make the brush more natural and dependent on how you stroke your pen. 8. Do you use a signature/watermark a lot? A certain shape or pattern? Make it a brush. 9. When changing things like opacity and flow in both the brush settings and the layer settings, Photoshop will sort of get “stuck” there, and you will see the number highlighted. Simply hit enter (don’t bother reaching for the mouse!) and it will go away. 10. Rotating the canvas will help you with your brushstrokes. Shift+R rotates the canvas in nice equal increments, and is a easy way to set the rotation back to 0. 11. Texture brushes just don’t look right? Make a selection, zoom out, and make the brush slightly bigger while you paint. Think of them as big sponges, not brushes.
Thanks again guys! I have a lot of tutorial requests from you, and I’ll be working through more soon!
Remember these quick Sonic Boom character sprites I posted some time ago, and I mentioned that I may try and do the rest of the cast from Sonic Boom and then some more? Well, I may have done more than I initially planned…
Again, I made these from entertaining the idea of a Sonic Boom RPG game. And before some asks: Yes, Undertale was kind of the influence I took how I wanted to make these sprites- but, only partially, as in in terms of keeping the sprites more simple in looks. The main inspiration came from the Earthbound/Mother series, because, again I think the type of more simple sprite style, and the more lighthearted and quirky tone of those games would fit quite well for the Sonic Boom universe. I’m also just a fan of the Earthbound/Series in general.
I tried to make just about almost every single minor and background character from the Sonic Boom TV series. Tried.
I also made some Sonic X character sprites for exposition flashback purposes.(It kind of makes sense in context.) I just did the alternate formal and spacesuit sprites for fun. The OCs were basically the result of me practicing on making all of these character sprites.
I didn’t just make a buttload of new characters sprites, either. I went and altered, or even outright completely remade, certain sprites from the original sheet. It shouldn’t be hard to tell which ones were.
- Wild Cat, Wolfie, Lady Goat, Fennec Male, Rabbit Girl, Reindeer Girl, Child Monkey, Beth, Sheep Villager, Warthog Male, Leroy the Turtle, Walrus Baby, Lady Walrus, Walrus Child, Male Walrus, Old Monkey, Mrs.Vandersnout, Willy Walrus, Monkey Boy.
- Male Fennec, Beaver Policeman, Wolf Policeman, Ice Cream Vendor, Tan Gogoba, Gogoba Chief, Grey Gogoba, Comedy Chimp, Wolf Sidekick, Soar the Eagle, Justin Beaver, Tommy Thunder, Dixon, Diane Ardvark, Pierre, Gunther.
- Mayor Fink, Beaverton, Professor Cluckins, Mr. Slate, D.B. Platypus, Gentleman Wolf.
- Charlie, Belinda, Mark the Tapir, Weasel Bandits, T.W.Barker(layer outfit), Lightning Bolt Socity(Dave, Willy, Weaseal Bandit, and Tree Spy), Swifty, Nominatus, “Steve Eggman”.
- Formal Alternate Outfits and Spacesuit Alternate Outfits.
- Sonic X Cast: Sonic, Tails, Amy, Cheese, Cream, Vanilla, Knuckles, Chris, Cosmo, Maria, Shadow, Rouge, Topaz, Nazo Sonic and Dark Sonic. OCs: Lemon and Splash(both belong to @drawloverlala). Aurora and C.C.(both belong to @e-vay).