Drew up some quick valentines for you all! :) Need the practice. So want something like this? SEND ME A MESSAGE. Someone paid me recently to do a few freebies, so I’m open for FREE commissions. (Right now just valentines)
I can’t decide what I love more: the confident grin the showy stance the fact that he just wears a pirate outfit as casual clothes (see: uxm #445) the Alan Davis art the taunt This is everything movie Nightcrawler needs.
I found out that yesterday was both @piratedashmodand@regacen‘s birthdays, but I was so busy with RL stuff that I forgot them both. So, instead of making two separate gifts and wishing each of them a happy birthday, I decided to roll’em all into one.
Seriously though, what a fantastic science fiction movie!
I’m impressed in every single imaginable way with this film. I mean, it does have a very basic story and it follows it almost like a connect-the-dots painting, but it does it so well!
The acting is fantastic, especially from Alec Guinness as Obi Wan Kenobi. The heroes are all likeable and worth rooting for. The bad guys are evil but fun at the same time (that Darth Vader guy, what a great baddie he is). The action is engaging and really well shot. But what makes this one so great is the setting.
This movie must have been groundbreaking when it first came out, it has such a unique look and it’s presented so well that you get sucked into the universe without even noticing. Despite all the bounty hunters, aerial assaults, airborne battles, intergalactic chases and dangers that the Rebel Alliance faces, this is still a galaxy I’d like to visit. And this is just the first movie. There’s two more left! I can’t wait to see what they have to offer!
((I don’t even know what to say here, if I’m completely honest. It might seem like a lot of rambling as I go forward. I haven’t really had a moment to take it all in yet. But death is a weird thing for me and it just hasn’t hit me fully until now. You can ask me on my mod blog about it.
@askrustynail is one hell of a guy. That must be said. It cannot go unsaid. Rusty is one of the very few that have been around as long as I have in this community. And he is without a doubt deserving of a place on the Mount Rushmore of Tumblrpon. Not only for his unique blog and his fun character, which is how we were introduced to him. But for his kindness, his brilliance, his giving spirit. That is what I and anyone who’s met him in person will take away from him.
I first met him at Trotcon 2013. It was where I got my first jar of honey vanilla vodka from him. It wouldn’t be the last jar I would get either. I will fully admit that it wasn’t my favorite drink. I did sample it from time to time, but I enjoyed sharing it with friends just as much. I took the jar I got at Bronycon ‘15 to an Illini tailgate and shared it with my college buddies there. Daniel said it was one of the best drinks he’s ever had in his life.
I still have the jar he gave me at Trotcon last year. I plan on sharing it with everyone when we get back together this year, in a toast and tribute to him.
Rusty is a genius at mixing drinks. He helped Wiggles and I out immensely during King Pirate Power Hour at Trotcon last year, serving as the unofficial bartender for the panel. He got me to sample a drink that was basically hot sauce with alcohol in it. It took me by surprise, but it was good. He made that panel a lot more fun.
Rusty is hilarious too, and is outstanding at dishing out puns. I know all you guys think I’m really good at it (for some reason), but Rusty was a pro at it. During Punanel last year with Sam, I invited Rusty to come on it. He stole the show for that hour and had people roaring with laughter.
Most of all, Rusty has a kind heart and spirit. He’s always willing to help people out. He’s always able to sense when people are in trouble or stressed and give them a calming presence. And you could talk to him about anything too. One of the last times we chatted in person, Rusty and I were talking about public radio and what I could try to do to get our station’s name out there more.
It’s going to suck to go to Trotcon or Bronycon this year, and not see him there. There’s going to be an empty feeling, and everyone is going to wish he was with us for one more round or one more conversation.
I know this is going to sound cliche, but we can’t take life for granted. Rusty is only one year older than me, and he’s not going to be with us anymore. That’s just not fair. He was taken too young from us. I know I’m going to try and make a better effort to reach out to friends old and new, because I wish I had chatted with him more outside of conventions. We should all strive to live life like he did.
And my heart goes out to @technomod. It’s not fair for Rusty and Tech didn’t get to live the rest of their lives together. We’re all thinking about you and want to help you in anyway possible.
So here’s to a last call with Rusty. I’ll miss you good sir. I’ll see you on the other side for drinks and arguments over football.))
i still can’t fucking draw thomas fucking hamilton to save my fucking life but here’s @ebilafan‘s sketch requeeeeest!!!! (plust miranda because who would give up the chance to draw bedhead miranda?? not me!)
HEY EVERYBODY IT’S HORSE CON WEEK AGAIN! WOO! And I’ll be back in Baltimore this year vending in the Artist Alley. Come meet me at table 71. I love meeting fans and friends of the blog, and looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend. Woo!
With the CS wedding coming up, I think it’s a good time to talk about the divorce. Because the truth is there’s no version of reality in which this particular marriage doesn’t fall apart. OUAT might be off the air before we see it, but that doesn’t alter the fact that it’s inevitable. Want to know why I’m so sure? Good! Because I made a list…
1. They have literally nothing in common. I mean, I guess they both had shitty childhoods, but by that logic Emma ought to be marrying Archie. Or, you know, Regina.
2. I mean seriously, what do Emma and Hook even talk about? There’s a reason whenever we see them on their own they’re making out. Because they must spend the rest of the time in slightly awkward silence.
3. Emma’s a modern woman - she’s kind of forgotten it at the moment, but she’ll remember soon. And Hook is very much not a modern man. He asked her father for permission to marry her BEFORE HE EVEN SPOKE TO HER ABOUT IT. I know how I’d react if my partner ever had the nerve to do that to me.
4. They’re unbelievably bad at figuring out what the other one is really feeling.
That’s why they’re so good at keeping terrible secrets from each other.
5. Speaking of which: they keep terrible secrets from each other. Pretty much all the time.
6. Hook has no real friends of his own, no job of his own, no life of his own outside Emma. That’s *incredibly* unhealthy for a relationship.
7. Emma is her worst self when she’s with him: selfish, self-absorbed and frequently miserable. ‘Marry a man who brings out the worst in you’ is a phrase that literally no one has ever said ever.
8. Emma doesn’t love Hook for who he is - she just likes the image of the dashing, handsome pirate who lets her play-act her perfect heterosexual marriage. She’s not going to deal well with him aging, or with the day-to-day revelation of his flaws that marriage brings. We saw that in the Wishworld, where all she could feel for old, drunken Hook was a contemptuous sort of amusement.
9. Actually I’m not sure Emma even really knows who Hook is. Every time he tries to talk to her about his past, she shuts him down. There must be a part of her that senses she couldn’t deal with - or love - the man he truly is.
10. Emma’s a lesbian. It’s something she’s obviously struggling to acknowledge, but then again she’s still younger than I was when I realised I’m gay, so she’s got plenty of time.
11. Also, she’s desperately in love with Regina. And you can only ignore the elephant in the room for so long, especially when you and the elephant are co-parenting a son.