20 Behind-The-Scenes Facts About Pirates Of The Caribbean.
1. During the filming of On Stranger Tides, Johnny Depp spent over $60,000 out of his own pocket to buy waterproof jackets for 500 crew members to protect them from the cold, wet weather.
2. While filming in London in October 2010, Johnny Depp received a letter from a local 9-year old schoolgirl, telling him her classmates needed help to ‘mutiny’ against her teachers. He turned up with almost no warning at the school in full Sparrow outfit, but advised against mutiny.
3. In Curse Of The Black Pearl, Johnny Depp improvised many of his lines, including the notorious, “Bring me that horizon,” and Jack Sparrow’s catch phrase, “Savvy?"
4. Depp and Verbinski have a funny way of describing Jack running
away from danger. They both compared it to a “lizard running on water.” Looking
back at pirates of the caribbean, we can totally see where they’re coming from.
5. The cast and crew walked away from filming with tons of
“treasure.” When production wrapped, many of the people who worked on the film (including Johnny Depp) picked props out from the treasure cave to take home. According to Verbinski, not a single one of the cursed coins was left behind.
6. Geoffrey Rush was afraid that people wouldn’t notice him on screen when he and Keira Knightley were in the same scene. He came up with a solution, however. He thought that viewers watched films the same way they read books - from left to right - and thus, tried to be on the left side of the shot as much as possible so that people would notice him before they noticed Keira.
7. Robert De Niro was originally offered the role of Captain Jack Sparrow. However, he turned down the role because he thought that the film would do poorly in box offices.
8. Keira Knightley was only 17 years old when they started shooting the first Pirates Of The Caribbean. Because she was a minor, her mother had to accompany her to all of the shooting locations.
9. Johnny Depp’s character, Captain Jack, is portrayed as having gold teeth in the film. The gold teeth were actually Depp’s idea, but he predicted that executives would want fewer gold teeth than he wanted. So Depp told his dentist to implant extra gold teeth as a bargaining tool. After negotiations with the film executives, Sparrow’s final number of gold teeth in the film was what Depp had envisioned all along.
10. If you pay attention throughout The Curse Of The Black Pearl, there is a scab on Jack Sparrow’s chin that gradually gets bigger and bigger. Many thought that it was a mistake, but Depp revealed later that his was a prank he and his makeup artist had thought of together.
11. Clothing and smears of charcoal were used to conceal Johnny Depp’s numerous tattoos. The "Jack Sparrow” tattoo on his arm in the movie is a fake, but he actually got a real replica after finishing the film, in honor of his son Jack.
12. Originally, Johnny Depp wanted Jack Sparrow to have no nose and be afraid of silly things like pepper and the common cold. Disney rejected the idea.
13. Jack Sparrow is known for his outrageous face makeup, but he didn’t start with that look. While filming in a cave, excessive makeup was added to all of the characters so they wouldn’t looked washed out on film. When the crew realised how cool the makeup looked on Johnny Depp, they continued to use it on him for the rest of the movie.
14. The moment when Elizabeth kissed Jack Sparrow in Dead Man’s Chest was purposefully cut out of Orlando Bloom’s script so that the cameras could get a genuine, shocked reaction from him.
15. The fourth installation, On Stranger Tides, was the most expensive film ever made at the time, not adjusted for inflation. The budget ran to $300,000,000. That’s more than the budget of all three Lord Of The Rings films combined.
16. Johnny Depp based his performance on Keith Richards because he thought that pirates were just 18th century versions of rockstars.
17. The names of the three main characters are all related to birds: Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth Swann, and William Turner, who was a famous ornithologist.
18. The scene where Orlando Bloom impersonates Johnny Depp’s performance was devised by Bloom who asked producer Jerry Bruckheimer if he could put it into the movie.
19. According to the screenwriters’ commentary on the DVD, Will Turner is actually the best swordsman in the film, Barbossa and Commodore Norrington are evenly matched, and Jack Sparrow is the worst.
20. During filming of On Stranger Tides in London a 'Jack Sparrow’ impersonator just walked onto the set. The guards did not think to ask for any ID as he looked so much like the character.
The Accidental Space Pirate Obi-Wan Kenobi Compendium
I wanted to put all this stuff in one place for easy finding! Here’s all the ‘Space Pirate AU’ content that we have created so far - please let me know if you have something to add (or if I have egregiously missed something already written!!) and I will try my best to keep the links up to date!
I made a post a while ago about the time duplicates of the TMNT 2012 kids turning into Space Pirates(!!!) and I was thinking about that again so here are some headcanons I’ve come up with so far:
-the original person to suggest it was Raph in a very sarcastic tone because Donnie had gotten arrested for stealing again, and this is the eleventh time they’ve had to break him out of jail why not just make it official already
-and then Mikey in a very not sarcastic manner wouldn’t let the idea go and essentially one by one they all ended up on board with the plan to become Intergalactic Space Pirates
-their original timeline selves had already accumulated plenty of enemies and bounties on their collective heads, might as well roll with the roles they’ve been given.
-Leo was tempted into it because SPACE ANYTHING is always tempting to him.
-also because typically they only steal from ‘bad guys’ and have a sort of Robin Hood thing going on.
-except when Donnie/Casey/Mikey/Raph/April absolutely have to have that one thing and laws be damned.
-Fugitoid was already a fugitive anyways so he’s just going along with things at this point.
-he has six kids now and apparently they all want to be pirates and he won’t disappoint them by saying no.
-Donnie is scary good at manipulating shit on the digital Black Market, and has actually held fake auctions for the ownership his siblings when he gets pissed at them. he only ever lets his brothers get a little kidnapped after they’re sold off. just until he’s got the money, alright?
-if there’s fire or fighting or a combination of the two anywhere in the area they’ve landed for the day it’s probably the direction Casey and Raph have gone.
-April gets a bigger gun than the pea-shooter she’s given by Fugitoid almost immediately, and then proceeds to keep collecting various guns as they go. she’s breaking twelve universal possession laws just by having a quarter of her collection.
-Leo isn’t always sure how they get into the situations they do but he’s basically just resigned to shenanigans and being chased by space police at this point.
-Mikey has caused more intergalactic incidents than one being should be able to feasibly cause, and has the highest bounty on his head.
-his wanted poster is him smiling widely at the camera and giving a peace sign because even though they’re light-years from earth he’s still a weeaboo piece of shit.
-Mikey might have the highest bounty but April has the biggest rep for being fucking terrifying and she loves it.
-Mikey’s bounty is only higher because of the sheer property damage he causes. April just scares everyone she meets into comas. it’s much less messy.
-Casey and Raph have a running tally of who can get into and win more bar fights.
-April is currently winning that tally.
-there are no legal drinking age laws in space and long story short they all got smashed one night and woke up with matching tattoos on their shoulders.
-the nonsense symbol was then assumed to be their flag sign and now they can’t escape being associated with it, even though it was originally just a half-assed drunk scribble courtesy of Mikey and Donnie fighting over a pen.
-it looks cool enough though so they’re rolling with it.
-Space!Donnie and Earth!Donnie eventually figure out how to contact each other and proceed to become each other’s best friend/worst enemy. they either hate each other’s guts or agree on literally everything together and there’s no in between for those moods.
-their conversations typically end with them either storming off and yelling “WHY AM I SUCH AN ASSHOLE?!” or them saying “Why can’t you be more like him?” to their family.
-Leo has way too much fun monologue-ing villain speeches at the ship crews they rob, and maybe kind of practices said monologues in the bathroom mirror before using them.
-Earth!Leo sometimes asks if they can switch places, and Space!Leo always says no.
-the Earth!Kids are maybe really jealous and want in on the Space Pirating shenanigans.
-it ends up being where they spend their vacation time.
-also everyone is gay in some manner because Space Is Gay and they’re in space so they are all gay and there’s no way around that.