disabled people buying cute mobility aids, pill boxes, joint braces, etc. are NOT just buying them as a fashion accessory. we need that shit and if we have the option to buy an aid that is pretty as well as practical to make us feel a little better about needing them in the first place then we have every right to use them without being judged for it.
So jar spells seem to be a dime a dozen (and I love them as much as anyone) but I was going through my witchy supplies the other day and I was baffled with how much space was taken up by empty jars I’ve never got round to filling and making into a proper jar spell. I’ve realised I use other methods of containing spells far more frequently, for the times I don’t want the residual sweetness of nutella to influence my spell.
So I present to you alternatives to jars. They will contain your spell just as well, some might even be better suited.
1) Cardboard box. Tampon box, cereal box, cereal bar box, I was presented a wine stopper in a box with a window on the front of the box and got very excited. All 100% degradable and thus suitable for any spells you wish to bury outside. Also very flammable for the spells you want to burn.
2) Tupperware tubs. (Or if you’re thrifty, margarine/ice cream tubs, or take away tubs)
3)Toilet/kitch roll tubes (optional: sealed at the ends) also bury-able and burnable.
4) Empty biros! I’m especially thinking of this kind with the screw-on end. Carefully hold a flame where the nib pokes out the other end and you have a tiny vial of spell. This will also help cut down on any ingredient wastage & is very hide-able if you’d rather folk not know you’re practising.
5) Candy/mints tin - usually included in posts to say gr8 for travel altar/on the go witching. Also good for spell!
6) Also if you want to mavguiver lids you can use the tins from tinned food. Or yoghurt pots! (little ones especially that don’t usually come with lids you can put back on)
7) Empty bottles! Wine bottles, booze bottles in general, soda, milk, bottled drinks far and wide. These also have a nice capacity for becoming a rattle if you like to use sound in your practise, milk bottles especially, since it’s not usually practical to completely fill a big 6L capacity milk bottle.
8) Pill boxes. Whether you’re someone who takes meds on a daily basis or not, pill boxes also sometimes have times of day/days of the week printed on them, if you want to work a spell at a specific time or day, or if your working goes on over consecutive days.
9)Again if you want to Macgyver lids, the lids of aerosols like hairspray and deodorant make handy little containers.
10) Jewellry boxes - if your spell requires a little glitz and/or glamour, a velvet lined jewellry box and your finest jewels for neighbours might give it a bit of a kick. *See point 15*
11) Music boxes - similar to jewellry boxes, bonus twinkly plinky plonky music for added Vibe. Again, if you’re into using sound this is a gr8 option.
12) Pockets! With a little sewing know how, you can cut the pockets out of old clothes and sew them shut and use them to contain your spell. Depending on what clothes you cannibalise for this, there can be some added interesting associations that might be applicable to your spells - what better way to honour your old favourite knackered pair of jeans than to take the pockets and use them to contain an everyday safety and comfort spell?
13) old lip balm/lipstick containers - if you ever in your life get to finish an entire chapstick or lipstick. Again, it being something you used frequently can add to the spell. Also, depending on flavour there can be added associations. Alternatively, finding one you bought and never use and gutting it of its contents to make it a spell container can be pretty symbolic.
14) Lip balm/vaseline pocket tins - similar to the candy tins, but again i’d be tempted to use these tins for perhaps a glamour.
15) zip lock bags - These are handy as well because you might be hesitant to fill your jewelry box/music box with herbs etc. Stick ‘em in a zip lock bag, stick the bag in the box. boosh. Draw a sigil on the bag in a sharpie and you’ve got yourself LAYERS of spell!
16) Envelopes - they’re pennies. Floatable, burnable, buryable, you can write on them with anything, scribble sigils, whatever. my go-to for literally everything.
Jars do not have the monopoly on being great at containing spells, friends. Please do add on anything you can think of that I’ve missed.
* 2D has one of those pill boxes and when she was little Noodle would sneak sweets or folded up Pokemon cards in it to try and make him feel better
* If Murdoc and Noodle are having a conversation they don’t want anyone else to hear they speak in Spanish or French. Even if it isn’t private, it’s just a little bonding thing for them
* Since he has a law degree 2D ends up being the bands emergency attorney. Normally he just ends up helping get Murdoc out of trouble though
* During phase 2 Noodle did her GCSEs online. The boys all pitched in, Russel helped with maths and art, 2D helped with english and Murdoc helped her with the sciences
* All of the band members end up stealing Russel’s clothes. He doesn’t mind though he just takes it as them being jealous of his fashion sense
* Murdoc made sure that Noodle was surrounded by other female musicians from a young age. He knew that the music industry could be a shitty place for her and he didn’t want anyone taking advantage of her
* 2D and Russel have a shared interest in space. They got a telescope a while back and sometimes on clear nights they set it up in the garden and have a look out of it whilst having a smoke
The Internet is a careful manipulation of real life; it’s the omission of three dirty mugs, two pill boxes, a water bottle and a shit ton of paperwork and loose ends that I couldn’t even fit in the frame. That damn (fake) plant doesn’t even live on my desk. University isn’t all pretty notes and self-care and meticulous, neat bullet journals. There are tears, there’s frustration, and a lot of caffeine (and/or alcohol, if that’s more your thing).
I find it ironic we live in the age of self-love, yet no matter how hard we try we can’t help but curate our Internet selves. We don’t advertise our losses like we do our success; we tell each other that our bodies are powerful and beautiful but we still grip our stomach rolls each night and let out a defeated sigh. We don’t show our downtime, lazing about aimlessly on a Sunday, because that does not fulfil the expectation to be ‘productive’.
I love the Internet, the endless breadth of knowledge and opinion and experience it provides. But I can’t help but think that in large doses, it’s toxic.
-My seats were amazing. Third row. I was about a yard away from the base of the stage it was amazing
-the theater was so small and intimate. i thought it would be much bigger, but it really made it feel like a personal experience
-the actors went all the way downstage a lot and i SWEAR ben could’ve spit on me thats how close he was
-Being up close was so amazing because you could see every single detail. I saw his shoes, his pill box, i saw certain facial expressions that i feel like were subtle and you wouldn’t be able to see them from far back
About the show:
-evan playing with things- his tie, the bed, his shoe lace, pulling at his shirt
-he. actually. fuckinf cries. like. you could see tears streaming down his face its not fake.
-will is SO FUCKING GOOD
-olivia is amazing. shes not as desperate as kristolyn, but she definitely shows more sadness and emotion
-garret is WOW. she doesnt act quite as sad as jennifer, but her voice is amazing. she is incredibly talented and so sweet.
-mlb is great. i love mike faist so im very biased, but i thought that michael was really good. he wasn’t as good at playing mean as mike is, though. he played more emo and sad as opposed to mike, who is aggressive and shows much more depth. but he is such an amazing singer im shook
-laura is possibly the most beautiful person to ever exist. seeing her close-up was amazing and you could really see all the emotion she puts into that role. she was simply amazing. Her voice is incredibly and wOW HER BELTING WOWWOWOOWOW
-she def cried during requiem
-evan & zoes kiss after YWBF was so cute because they were all messy and eager bc neither of them knew what to do
-jARED SAID KINKY
-Will is so fucking handsome wow i love that man. his voice is so fucking amazing. he is a bit loud, i wish they turned his mic down a little during certain songs (disappear & sincerely me) so that you could hear the other parts more, but he is so incredibly talented wow
-ok so we all know that larry cries during YWBF, but he legit had a full breakdown it was amazing to see first-hand
-Ben. Shakes. like wow. i shake when im anxious (aka 24/7) and it was completely realistic and honestly the way he depicts mental illness is so accurate and truly art
-larry is still an ass but when act two comes he is SUCH A LOVEABLE ASS. he is a much better character live because you see how much emotion he actually has
-zoes hair during act one is so cute. it looks a bit like pig tails even tho it isnt, but its adorable
-I. cannot. stress. this. enough. Ben Platt deserves everything. he has my ENTIRE heart. he is so talented in everything he does. He cries almost the whole show and i mean CRIES. real tears. real emotion. He is incredible. Like. i dont have words for how amazing he was. His voice was perfect throughout which IDK HOW IS POSSIBLE BC I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME SING WHILE CRYING SOOO. he is such a good actor and his fast talks were SO CUTE WOW
-rachael was. fuck. wow. I’ve always had a bit of trouble understanding her acting choices during act one, but they worked well live. and once act two came around, she was outstanding. After So Big/ So Small, the entire audience. the. entire. audience. was crying. seriously there was not a dry eye in the house
-the forest set is so amazingly beautiful like. wow.
-seeing the band up above is sO COOL WOW
-Everything about it was absolutely beautiful.
-i read something about this the other day and i couldnt stop thinking about it. During Waving Through A Window, everyone is turned away from Evan, they don’t see him. But during You Will Be Found, they are all with him. He is one with them. He is finally seen. It was so cool to see that contrast live.
-the environment was so well done. you would think that since the background is either screens or just blackness, it would feel a bit empty and cold. but the set pieces (evans bed, connors bed, the couch, the dinner table, etc) were so well done and it really pulled things together.
-Michaels knee movements aren’t as good as Mikes 🙊
-People who came out: Michael (Park), Olivia, Garrett, Laura, Michael (lb)
-Colton came out first but he left right away bc he wasn’t in the performance rip i lov him
-first Michael Park came out and I told him I loved him and he was like “wow don’t you want to get to know me first?” and he signed my book and we joked a lil and he is such a nice guy
-then Olivia came out and she signed and I told her how fucking amazing she was and she was so happy and blushy it was adorable.
-Garrett came outside and she was so sweet. She looks so cute with her glasses and her hair up wow i love her. I told her that she is an amazing singer and she thanked me and wow what a gal
-mlb came out and he was so sweet. I told him that he did so well and that i’m really happy for him for playing all the roles. I told him how great his singing is and he was so sweet to everyone we had a lil convo
-last. but. DEFINITELY NOT FUCKING LEAST. Laura. Fucking. Dreyfuss. The living breathing human angel. She got over to me and I handed her the letters that I wanted to give to the cast (everyone was giving them to her bc she is a trustworthy gal). she got a lot of gifts (including more trix) bc she is so loved wow. OK OK BUT. I thanked her for speaking up for the trans community the other day and she was so happy and smiley and she rlly cared abt what i had to say AND SHE HUGGED ME. LIKE SHE WASNT HUGGING ANYONE ELSE. AND I DIDNT ASK HER TO HUG ME. SHE JUST DID AND WOW IT WAS. FUCK. WOW.
All in all, that was definitely the best thing i have ever witnessed and i cried a fuck ton and it changed my life.
You probably have a bunch of important stuff to remember. Meds to take, supplies to bring, ingredient lists to check, etc. It can be overwhelming, and it makes me super stressed & anxious especially if I’m traveling or doing something new. Here are some things that I’ve found are helpful in reducing the stress & making it easier to do things!
Separate what you need to bring into essential and nonessential lists. Sometimes my anxiety just kind of spreads to everything, so it helps me relax if I remember that there are only a couple crucial things, and the rest are only nice to have.
Come up with a system so you can easily grab the crucial things. I have all the important stuff in a single bag now, so as long as I grab that I know I’m covered. (I have an organized dopp kitt style pouch now with most of my inhalers, epi pens, and meds – it’s so convenient and helpful!). I recommend getting a pill box you can put one day’s worth of meds in so it’s easy to remember & carry even if you have a ton of bottles
Always bring all the important stuff, even if you don’t think you’ll need it. It’s easier just not to think about it, and you never know if your plans change and you end up needing meds you thought you’d be home for, or an inhaler you didn’t expect to use.
Even if you’re not organized, designate a place for your bag with all the stuff and keep it there even if you use some of the stuff at home. The less you break the routine of where the bag is & what is in it the less likely you will be to forget something.
If you need things like hats, sun glasses, orthotics, etc try to keep them near the bag/door if possible too.
Don’t beat yourself up if you forget something. Fix the problem to the best of your abilities, and be kind to yourself. Managing complex medical problems is way harder than it seems and you’re bound to mess up sometimes. I promise that every single person with chronic illness has been here multiple times!
In 1966, after leaving Andy Warhol’s Factory, on a professional level, Edie Sedgwick signed with Bob Dylan’s manager, Albert Grossman. The plan was to turn Edie into a serious Hollywood actress, and her first project was to star alongside Bob Dylan in a film that never came to fruition. During this time it was rumored she was involved with Dylan and she was the driving force being the music of his 1966 album, Blonde on Blonde. She is said to have inspired numerous Dylan songs, including Just Like a Woman and Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat. Despite remembering her “hanging around,” Dylan later denied any involvement with Edie.
After Grossman’s plan failed, Edie’s drug addiction caused her to have several stays in mental and health facilities until her death in 1971 at the age of 28.
Michael Gray of The Bob Dylan Encylcopedia says, “there’s no doubt that the ghost of Edie Sedgwick hangs around Blonde on Blonde.”
Edie Sedgwick photographed by Jerry Schatzberg, 1966