Red Dragon Con 2015 - Some Personal Highlights
I will try to keep this relatively short, but I can already tell that it won’t be so strap in. Or skip past now, I can’t tell you what to do.
It’s been a few days since Red Dragon Con ended and I’m stuck in this weird limbo between being thrilled to tears that it happened, and saddened to tears that it’s over (what I’m saying is that I’m still really emotional ha ha). I really, really hope that they do another because this was without doubt the best weekend of my life thus far. It was incredible. I have never felt surrounded by so much love, enthusiasm and friendship before, so thank you all so much for making that happen.
I met just a tonne of awesome fannibals, some of whom I’ve known online for a while, and it was awesome to put faces to names. I wish I could namedrop everyone, but my memory is awful and I don’t know everyone’s tumblr so I’m soooo sorry to everyone I’ve inevitably forgotten (I do love you all, I promise).
Anyway, I got to finally meet the gorgeous @dr-hanniballectermd who is awesome and beautiful and I love you, but you already know that <3 Met the fabulous @fearourfourthline who shed feathers all over our bathroom but was a perfectly lovely little ravenstag to room with, even if we fought about the proper pronunciation of tomato and when the correct time to eat a pancake is (you weird American). Hung out with @idontfindyouthatinteresting - it was really awesome to see you again darling, thank you for the cool free stuff and also for letting me drink your booze. Met the beautiful @whatkindofcrazy, super lovely and very funny, and someone else who was a real hoot and turned out to be @bansheegrahamtao - she did knock a glass of wine all over me, but I had just taken my shirt off, so it was entirely my fault.
And as for meeting the cast… Wow. I actually never thought I’d get to meet them so this was incredible for me, and they were all so friendly and funny, and so good to the fans. Getting photos with them and autographs was awesome, the panels were hilarious, the meet and greet was the most excited and nervous I’ve ever felt… Just amazing. Some highlights:
- Kacey Rohl recognised me from the airport. She walked right past me while I was waiting at arrivals and I didn’t even spot her, whaaaaat?!
- Aaron Abrams spotted my Hannibal tattoo at the meet and greet and got really excited about it.
- Loretta Ramos showed up unexpectedly for the first night and was so lovely.
- I gave Mads a postcard of my artwork at the meet and greet and he had to put on his glasses to look at it properly and pointed out all the characters on it and asked if I was a professional artist and said it was amazing (I’m dead now, RIP)
- Met Katharine Isabelle and shook her hand, I’ve been a huge fan of hers even before Hannibal and she’s so funny and lovely <3
- Scoott and Aaroon’s panels. Just everything about them. Pretending to jerk off Sean when he was introducing them, talking about Mads and Hugh snogging off camera, CopCop, take the diamond Rose, nobody puts Will in the corner… Amazing. These two should never be parted.
- Mads constantly referring to himself as Hannibal during panels. And then trying to use the third person, but inevitably lapsing back to first person by the next question.
- Can we talk about Mads signing autographs for almost 5 straight hours on Saturday, and still doing it with a smile on his face? He took time to speak to everyone and it was amazing of him. He is also really friendly and chilled out and seemed to make even the most nervous person relax, such a great guy.
- I may have done a dumb thing when I went up for my autograph with him, and introduced him to the fandom joke that is the Chesapeake Stripper. I’ll let the picture he signed for me speak for itself… (I was wearing clothes, don’t worry, I’m not a psycho fan… A plaid corset and paisley tie under my prison clothes, it’s cool)
I think he found it funny. I don’t remember his reaction because I was too busy trying not to fall over from nerves.
Speaking of the dumb thing I did, I need to share with you Kacey’s reaction to the reveal of my costume because she was hilarious and her face made it 100% worth it:
(Thanks to @DrJLecter on Twitter for sending me this picture, shared with permission)
I do have some pictures of the costume itself but I’m hesitant to share them because I can already anticipate the shitty comments I’ll get. Apart from like one asshole, everyone there was really friendly about it ^-^ The Chesapeake Stripper shall return if we get another con, with more sequins.
I’m sad it’s over, but I had an amazing time and got some awesome stuff to remember it by:
Finally I wanted to share this picture I got with Mads. I was nervous and wasn’t sure what pose to ask for so I decided to keep it simple and get what most people seemed to be getting: ‘Could you put your arm around my shoulders?’
Mads somehow misunderstood this, bless him. He got behind me, put both his hands on me, put his face really close next to mine and said ‘Like this?’
I was so startled to have him so close that I think I gibbered something like ‘Yep, yep that’s just perfect’. Side note: he has very warm, soft hands. So yes, I am grinning like a lunatic in this picture, and I regret nothing.
To conclude, best weekend of my life thus far, it was amazing to meet you all, the cast is as lovely in real life as they look, @starfuryconventions did an incredible job, can’t wait until Red Dragon Con 2 (fingers crossed!), let’s make CopCop happen in the meantime, and also Hannibal season 4 obviously, see you next year hopefully, love you!