One of my favorite Phantom interviews. It helps knowing the show really. So instead of mispronouncing characters names, Howie gets down to the actual questions and and got some meaty answers in return. Here are some:
- First encounters with Phantom: Brad saw the musical with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman while Claire saw it in the 1990’s, remembering how terrified and thrilled she was of the chandelier.
- Brad shared how kids are being named after him (!), just to show the Phantom’s impact on people. He says Phantom is not just musical theater, it’s history.
- The Phantom’s prosthetic mask requires 4 types of glue so Brad has to take 4-5 products to remove it and revitalize his skin. “So he doesn’t look like the Phantom in real life,” Claire quips.
The prosthetic mask is changed every night, Brad estimates up to 1000 dollars (??) thrown to the trash can every night. Claire describes it as gooey and slimy. The ‘slimy’ effect is brought by a lubricant called K-Y jelly which the makeup artist buys at the pharmacy every time. You can just imagine the clerk’s face.
- Claire says her heaviest dress is the Elissa skirt (Think of Me) which she describes as like a big hoop skirt. She nearly fell over at the first time.
- Brad beautifully compares a show performance to painting a sunset on a blank canvas, because the colors are different every night. You don’t know which shades will be seen.
- Brad: Doing Phantom is like a sprint, while Christine and Raoul are like doing the marathon. The Phantom is around all the time but not seen, so whenever he appears, he just has to “go, go, go”. It’s surprising how little his stage time is, as compared to Christine and Raoul who are physically present and have to keep the show going.
- 2 minutes to curtain: Claire is warming up her ballet moves while Brad mantras with “Let’s go make magic.”