The word “phandom” is honestly so complicated and weird. Like, it’s mostly used by Dan and Phil fans who stole it from Danny Phantom which came out in 2004, who stole it from Phantom of the Opera which literally came out over a hundred years ago (not to mention the phantom fan base was called the “phandom” even in the nineties) and I love how the word has so much history and belongs to so many things to the point where nobody knows who’s talking about what
1. They are absolutely insane. The show has been cancelled for 10 years and the fandom is still very active and engaged. They just don’t know what to give up the ghost (pun COMPLETELY intended because, this phandom lives on dead puns)
2. A good 50% of Phandom headcanons and materials are better, more interesting and more well thought out than canon. About 30% is the most heartbreaking, disturbing, horrifying angst you never imagined could exist. The remaining 20% is the weirdest, most bizarre crack that become phandom inside jokes.
3. We talk about a reboot a lot but Hartman recently put up some new material speculating on what happened to the characters and most of the Phandom huddled in a corner around their beautiful fics and headcanons and hissed. Most Phans live for the fanon and have no interest in adhering to proper canon.
4. The shipnames are weird af and you have to squint your eyes and turn your head to make sense of half of them. Like??? Timely Intelligence? Makeup Honor?? Psycho Cereal??? What kind of names are these (you don’t even want to know what these ships are for because some of them are wiggity wiggity whack yo)
5. Everyone fandom has their dark spots but I can truly say that after 4 years very active in the Phandom and 8 years on and off, this is one of the nicest, most open and welcomes fandoms I’ve ever been in. There are problems sure but I met some amazing, kind and talented people in this fandom.
Ya see I was trying to figure out if YouTube commenters were talking about Phantom of the Opera or Danny Phantom when they say “the phandom is here” but it turns out they mean Dan and Phil. I’ve seen these three distinct fanbases use this name. It’s time for the three to go and war to see who keeps the name.