As my twenty-second birthday draws near, I find myself thinking back on all of the things I’ve learned and a few things stand out the most and I feel the need to share them with you all. For the people who are younger than me, who may need advice that I know I never got. And for those older than me, who may need reminded of things they may already know. So, here are twenty-two things I’ve learned in the last twenty-two years.
1. It is okay to remove toxic people from your life. There is no need to explain yourself or apologize.
2. Not everyone is going to like you, but that’s okay. You will find people who do, it’s worth the wait.
3. Try your best to avoid investing more into relationships than the other party.
4.Life is going to kick you in the teeth, a lot, but you are strong enough to pick yourself back up and move forward.
5. Always continue to move forward, the past is gone, focus on the present, your future is waiting for you.
6. It’s okay to not be okay. It took me a long time to learn this, but once you come to terms with it, it makes life a little easier.
7.Speak up when people don’t consider your feelings. You are not an object for others to play with.
8.It’s okay to cry, in fact crying can be a very helpful and healthy way to vent.
9. There will be days that you’ll feel like you can’t get out of bed and that’s okay. Stay under the covers, keep warm and turn on a movie or show that makes you happy.
10. It’s okay if you need to take breaks, from life, work and even people.
11. Your mental health comes first! If you find yourself in an uncomfortable/toxic environment, you need to put yourself first and do your best to get out of it.
12. It’s okay to ask for help. I know sometimes you feel like a burden, but I promise you, you aren’t.
13. Talk about how you’re feeling. It’s hard, but no one is going to be able to help if you keep things to yourself. Tell your friends if something makes you uncomfortable so they can fix it.
14. The people who truly care about you will always do their best to help make sure you are comfortable, safe and loved.
15.It’s okay to make mistakes, that’s how we learn. I know it can be frustrating, especially when you feel like you keep making the same mistake, but it’s okay. They are learning experiences.
16. You don’t always have to put on a brave face. There will be people who come into your life and they will make dropping that mask so easy. They’ll help hold you up when you feel like the world is pressing down on you. Keep them close.
17. Do the things that make you happy. Blast your favorite music, dance around the kitchen when you cook, play that video game for just five more minutes, pick up that book you’ve been meaning to read for months. Just do what you want to do and don’t let anyone make you feel like you can’t.
18. Keeping a journal can be helpful, especially if you have a bad memory like I do. Write things down. Not just the big dates, but little things. Like the first time you heard a song you like. Or when they made you smile like the sun.
19. You are a star that shines brightly among the darkness life has dealt you. Never let anyone convince you that you are less.
20. Stand up for, not only yourself, but for the little guys. Use your voice for good, but don’t drown out those who need to be heard.
21. Don’t wait for things to come to you, go to them. Make change happen, work toward your goals, even if you’re just taking baby steps. Every second matters. Every.single.one.
22. Love; yourself, your friends, your family, your partner. And show love to those who need it most. Offer to buy a meal for the homeless person on the street. Support the people whose families don’t accept them. Welcome them with open arms and an open heart. The good you put into the world will come back to you in it’s own way. So, love and love deeply because we only have so much time on this earth.
that sucks… it’s kind of the same thing w/ the su fandom. every time i see a url like “aphobe–amethyst” or whatever I’m like “wtf why would she be aphobic???” it just makes no sense? (though i shouldn’t be surprised b/c the su fandom has always been filled with assholes tbh)
RELATIONSHIP STATUS: taken FAVORITE COLOR: Green. LIPSTICK OR CHAPSTICK: Lipstick always. LAST SONG I LISTENED TO: Max Richter – The Blue Notebooks LAST MOVIE I WATCHED: Jackie TOP 3 TV SHOWS: Teen Wolf, Grey’s Anatomy, Rupaul’s Drag Race TOP 3 CHARACTERS: Lydia Martin (Teen Wolf), Kate Austen (LOST), Bonnie Bennett (TVD) TOP 3 SHIPS: Stydia, Benzo, Merder BOOKS I AM CURRENTLY READING: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami
Looking back, I can’t remember the truth. I blew everything out of proportion so I could feel the hurt and betrayal and write about it in vivid detail. It was my own method of torture. My own undoing; and I enjoyed every second of it.