I think that one of my favorite things as a kid was right after a powwow my ma and I decided to go with her then fiance to an ice cream shop with some of our regalia and leathers still on. Out of nowhere a little girl comes out, points and yells:
“LOOK MOMMY! INDIANS!”
My ma without missing a beat turned around, pointed at her and screamed, “LOOK JEFF! A WHITE GIRL!”
01. Gypsy is a slur & there is no “positive” or “acceptable” way of using it if you aren’t Romani (or part of a group related to Romani that has been targeted by the slur too). Some Romani might not find it offensive but still it should not be part of your vocabulary – the same goes for the term “gypped”. If you want to talk about the slur censor it or simply call it “the g slur.”
02. Anti Romani racism exists everywhere and there is a slur for the us in every language. Gypsy is the slur used in the English language but there is also Zigan, Tigan, Cigan, Gitano, Zigeuner, etc. - a lot of them stem from the Greek word for “slave” and are considered even worse than the Gypsy slur. However all of them are still slurs.
03. Gypsy is nothing but a derogatory slur against Romani that has been screamed at us while we have been branded, enslaved, hunted down, murdered, put through a genocide and a holocaust, segregated and discriminated against. It doesn’t meant “free-spirited”, it doesn’t mean “wanderer” or anything along those lines either.
04. Romani is the proper name of the people that are being targeted by the G slur. Some people write it as Rromani which is also correct. (But there are a few groups that are part of the Romani Diaspora that don’t identify as Romani.) The term Roma/Rroma can be used too, however not all Romani are Roma.
05. Romani and Romaniando not mean the same thing. Romani are brown people originally from India. Romanians are people from the European country Romania.
06. The official term for racism directed towards Romani is called “Antiziganism”, that term however is offensive since it includes the word “Zigan” which is a horrible slur against Romani. Please do not use that term and instead use “Anti-Romani racism”, “Anti-Romanism”, etc.
07. Anti-Romani racism is very extreme in Europe (segregation in housing, education and health care, forced sterilizations, evictions, demolition of Romani neighbourhoods, police brutality, etc), which is why we even received the title of “Europe’s Most Hated”, but it’s not an exclusively European thing. Anti-Romani racism exists in America and Canada as well. (Canada even has an immigration ban on Romani.)
08. “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding” does not display actual Romani people as far as I have heard so it does not represent Romani people/culture at all.
09. Your believes that Romani “don’t want to work”, “don’t want to send their children to school”, “steal children”, “are dirty”, “genetically prone to crime”, “are lazy”, etc. are nothing but racist stereotypes and left over Nazi propaganda. All of them are untrue as well. (Also: Romani would love to work and go to school but the extreme discrimination against us in the field of education makes that very hard. And the widely spread traditional anti-Romani attitudes and prejudices don’t make it any easier either.)
10. Stereotypes such as that all Romani women are “sexual temptresses” and promiscuous disregarding of age are obviously incorrect too. Believing in those stereotypes is very harmful and dangerous as well because despite Romani being only a minority in most European countries we make up the highest % when it comes to sex trafficking victims.
11. Romani culture doesn’t have anything to do with witchcraft, wicca, paganism, etc. We didn’t create tarot, palm reading or crystal balls either. You can stop calling yourself a “Gypsy Witch” and faking Romani heritage now. The only reason why assumptions like that came to exist is because of racist believes and lies spread by the church. Our skills with medical herbs and palm reading were seen as “evidence of heresy” and from the 16th century onward we were outlawed, expelled and persecuted, culminating in the organized killing of our people.
12. Fortune teller costumes are usually racist. Romani women have always been stereotyped as fortune tellers which is why the stereotypical image of a fortune teller is always linked with Romani women - dark skin, messy black hair, a big nose, a “weird” accent, a headscarf, big hoop earrings, gold coins added to clothes and an “untrustworthy/deceiving” nature, etc. Personally, I’ve never seen a fortune teller costume that wasn’t racist. (A lot of people even use the term “fortune teller” like a synonym for the G slur nowadays.) A person’s race/ethnicity is not a costume, so if you ever consider dressing up as a fortune teller chose something different.
Of course I don’t speak for all Romani. This is more of a “faq” actually since these are the types of questions and incorrect assumptions I have noticed the most. If you are Romani too please correct me if I made any mistakes and please feel free to add anything onto this list if you like!
So with the emergence of the anime becoming more and more
popular, of course the fan base is growing and growing, I would even say to
heights like seen in Fairy Tail, Naruto, etc.
However, with the series getting more popular, you are stuck
with more….negative opinions about the characters that in my mind are sometimes
just not necessary.
Now, this blog is normally Ochako and Kacchako and I intend
to mostly keep it that way but lately, I’ve been seeing a lot of negative posts
towards Momo and frankly, I’m heavily displeased by this, especially since
she’s one of the most well portrayed girls in the series and it’s really
heartbreaking on my end to see posts that essentially dismiss her for more
shallow reasons that don’t need to be here.
I mean to start this off, are we going to simply forget that
she came into UA on a recommendation and was a student that made even All Might
shook when asked why Iida was the winner of the exercise
or how, even though the class didn’t know her, she was still
voted to be Assistant Class President?
or how she was able to act calm and rational during the USJ
or how she still managed to get the top grade in the midterm
exams and didn’t get it to her head but actually acted BENEVOTELY and helped
her classmates who asked her for help?
or how it was HER plan that got Todoroki and her to win the exam that they were
But ya know, because of her BODY, we’re going to ignore that
right? We’re going to ignore how amazing and how smart she is simply because of
I won’t lie guys, I’ve heard people complaining about her
quirk and even saying how bad her quirk is designed when it’s like??? It
actually makes a lot of sense why it’s like that since she does create large
objects like shields, spears, A FREAKING CANON, like it makes sense for her to
need to use fat call throughout her body to be able to achieve that look.
Which brings me to talk about her costume. Oh boy, this is
the one that when I first entered the fandom, no one really said anything but
now that the series is more popular, everyone has become experts on body proportions
and quirk designs and apparently fashion design since her costume isn’t good
enough for her.
I mean look at the costume design that Horikoshi put in for
her and how he planned that all out for her
At some point, yes I understand, Horikoshi is a pervert,
sometimes his intentions aren’t the best, I get that. But consider this, even
though he had the ability to make Ochako’s and Tsuyu’s costumes completely
perverted, he chose against that. He had the perfect opportunity to indulge in
that yet he didn’t. What I love about Horikoshi is that he thinks about the practicality
of the quirks and designs the costumes based on that as well taking into
consideration the character’s personality and what they would want.
So guys, at some point, reality check moment: Momo is
comfortable with her body enough to wear a costume that she deemed necessary
for the usage of her quirk. And she chose that design for that outfit and has
not said a word about this entire series. She even had an opportunity to create
it to be more closed and she chose not to. MOMO CHOSE HER OUTFIT AND VIEWS IT
GOOD ENOUGH FOR HER HERO WORK.
In this moment too, I would like to share what even Midnight
said during Episode 34 at the very beginning.
So another reality check: The only people who are saying it’s
sexual are the people who are sexualizing her to begin with. Instead of viewing
it as more of a practical thing that is designed for her quirk (which involves utilizing
her fat cells and creating stuff through her skin), people begin to view as
sexual and are condemning her for having a revealing costume. Which, to me personally,
I find ironic since tumblr is filled with campaigns of free the nipple and the
stopping of sexualization of breasts and female anatomy, yet look what’s
happening here. People are taking her costume and saying she’s being sexualized
for choosing a design that would give her optimal openness to use her quirk.
I mean look at how she used it in the Aizawa fight
Having that navel cavity helped her out immensely during
this fight and she was able to create the alloy material in a much faster way
with having access to areas where most of her fat is stored.
Which, I also heard people commenting on how Momo’s body
doesn’t make sense and how skinny she is in comparison to her boobs (which I’ve
seen that in real life, it’s not uncommon), but if you see in this spread
She actually isn’t the skinniest person in the world. Keep
in mind that while she does use her fat cells to make stuff, she does also
consume A LOT OF FOOD TOO to keep up with the level of activity too so she does
get chubby sometimes so it’s a wrong assumption to think she has this INCRDIBLY
PERFECT BODY WITH NO FAT when she does! Which only makes it only more natural
Honestly, her entire arc in the beginning of the manga (or
at least up into this exam point) has been so powerful, so realistic, and so
amazingly well done.
I mean to consider,
very similarly to Bakugou, while we haven’t gotten much of her backstory, given
how she behaved in Season 1, we can have a somewhat assumption that she came
from a great home and was well praised for her quirk. Obviously, her quirk isn’t
one with a talent, she had to work immensely for it, but she must have been
placed into situations where she was elevated and praised for how powerful her
quirk is (like she was put in situations where she was able to be able to use
her quirk to the fullest and not have much backfired).
Even Aizawa says this during their fight
Which does imply this isn’t a constant state she’s always been in, it’s one that has been gained since the sports festival (hence why the arguments that she should be shouldn’t be self confident are wrong).
Yet, with coming to UA and being in a hero course, after
participating in the festival, well she starts to crumble and kind of doubt her
abilities against the others
Like it starts off with her not getting a high ranking on
Then she mentioned the issue with the cavalry battle later
on but definitely the heavy hitter for Momo was her fight with Tokoyami where
she was left in shambles since she wasn’t able to make much on an impact on the
fight itself (which this was amplified more in the anime than the manga itself).
Thus really bringing down her confidence. And now a lot of
people screamed about how misogynist her hero training was and how demeaning it
was which leads to 2 issues that some people forget about.
That there are multiple sides to being a hero.
It’s not always the cookie cutter “fight villains, rescue people, rinse and
repeat”. Even famous people in our society, even though their job is to
act/sing/etc, they still go out and do publicity work and that’s what they do.
It’s a part of being well known and using your abilities outside of the field
you are in.
This was all part of Momo developing. This was
just another way to bring Momo down a couple more notches. It’s a bit cruel and
hard but this was a way for Horikoshi to get her out of her mindset and be exposed to
something where her confidence could be lowered. Guaranteed if she was put into
an actual hero training internship, she wouldn’t have been lowered as much as
Which could lead the argument that
it wasn’t necessary to have any of that stuff happen to her but consider, would
she have gotten in this state if she didn’t have those things happen and accumulate?
And would she have gotten her
confidence back from Todoroki/Aizawa and execute an amazing plan without that
encouragement from those moments?
Ok this post is beginning to get
way to long so I’m going to stop here before I go on and on and on about Momo.
As much as Ochako is my best girl and I will forever sacrifice myself to her,
even I have to admit Momo is utterly amazing and I only talked about what
happened in the first 65 chapters. I didn’t even brush on how amazing she was
during the invasion of the villains or how she managed to be a huge help in the
rescue of Bakugou or even how kickass she was during the license exam (which
she helped my princess Ochako and that pleased me so much). Momo is just more
than the simple sexual object people are complaining her to be as, she’s an
incredibly smart and amazing woman and Horikoshi put so much thought into her, more
than what any of us could ever imagine. I am truly excited to see more of what
she can do in the future and I hope she gains more fans since she truly
hey @ og homestucks if you’re giving hiveswap fans advice about sealing body paint maybe don’t be aggressive about? i’ve seen a lot of posts where people are swearing at people about sealing body paint and yeah that’s important but you don’t need to be an asshole to get your point across.
on that note, sealing body paint is important, for people who don’t know the ins and outs of paint, because the worst thing that can happen is getting grey on people’s hard worked on costumes! you’ll probably feel guilty if it happens and it’s the kind of thing that is enough to dampen your experience of a convention - worse still, they’ll be stuck walking around with grey paint on that careful armor they spent fifteen hours sculpting and painting or the shirt that they had to find in the right colour, etc etc. seal your paint with lots of baby powder or translucent powder! ben nye is a good brand of paint (for my skin tone which is like, white as heck, i mix one of their white and grey together) if you can afford it because it’s waterproof and long lasting. you’ll need alcohol based remover to get it off - otherwise, snazaroo is cheap, although it’s not waterproof and will probably come off way faster. there is also kryolan which i’ve never tried but heard good things about! it pays to look around at tutorials and the like, there are a load on youtube about how to do it as safely as possible so as to avoid dampening someones con experience! some people make arm socks, but i cant sew at all so i paint my hands. i’d recommend covering them extra well, and if you think you’ve covered them enough…well, cover them a few times, juuuuuust to be sure! i also never paint the palm of my hands or underside of my fingers because i like to grab stuff to look at in cons and it’s just overall safer for me not to!
tldr; homestucks be nice, and there;s some actual help instead of a !!!Sea L Yo ur B o D y P AI nt !! rant in the big blurb. have fun i guess and i hope i get to take photos with people cosplaying hiveswap at my next con!
This month hosts The Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Los Angeles. For those of you who have never been to a Ren Faire, one of the key aspects of it is costume and dressing up.
When I was in High School and would go with my High School friends, I was always a little jealous of the costumes that they would wear. All of my friends in High School you see, were white. The costumes that they would wear always looked right on them and somehow, wrong on me.
One year, I took things into my own hands and decided to dress as a Chinese Peasant. I got a Rice Paddy hat from our local chinatown and a pretty drab and easy top and pants (I super wish I could find these photos for you guys)
The effect worked, a lot of people noticed my costume and laughed at my little joke.
Still, I would look at my friends in their beautiful dresses and flower crowns and envy that they could easily slip into this land of make believe and I still felt a little bit like an outsider.
I don’t believe that anyone particularly made me feel this way, it was just something that made me aware of my race when usually it’s something I don’t necessarily think about.
So, I went and decided to just wear the ‘wrong’ feeling costumes anyways, it was all pretend and I could do anything I wanted.
But this year, I decided to do something different. I did some research and found out that during the Elizabethan period, the Ming dynasty would have been in power. I did some research online and found myself a Ming Dynasty costume.
It was everything I had ever wanted. I felt pretty, but also I felt like I belonged. I felt like I was able to share my culture and what was beautiful about that time period with people who didn’t know. A lot of people stopped me to ask about my costume! I wish I had known a little bit more about accurate construction or really, anything about the Ming Dynasty, but I still felt right in it.
There are lots of cultures that existed during the Elizabethan era and I encourage any People of Color to share that when they go to a Renaissance festival next time! I would love to see more costumes, maybe Armenian or Turkish or Mongolian!
Next year I want to take this as a starting point and try to incorporate more elements of fantasy. There are lots of Chinese dramas that take period costumes and throw some fun fantasy elements into it. Here are some cool examples:
Hi, I don’t usually use this account to complain about anything but, with all this cultural appropriation madness. I felt that I have to express myself. First of all, I wanna apologize for my english, I know it sucks, I hope you can understand me.
I recently saw a post that says that “if you are not mexican, you can’t makeup yourself as a Catrina or as a sugar skull”. This post really annoyed me, cause, as a mexican, I’m totally glad that other cultures thing that our traditions are beautiful and intresting, I don’t understand why It is supposed to be forbidden if you are white, black, or whatever the fuck you are, to paint yourself as something you find interesting from other culture.
Now, I know i can’t speak for every culture, but I can speak from mine,Mexicans are known worldwide for being shared and open with their culture, we actually feel proud every time foreign people shows interest in our culture, we are the kind of country that actually loves when people from another countries shows interest in our traditions.
It’t really peases me of that now, a bunch of people says that its forbidden for foreign to show their admiration from our country, i personally fell glad that the world is seeing the beauty in other countries, in other cultures, and not just in european or american (usa) cultures.
As a MEXICAN i can tell you that, if you are white, black, asian, latin, or whatever the fuck you are, you can totally dress as a catrina or paint yourself like a sugar skull. If you understand the meanings behind all that i think It’s totally fine to use it.
I can’t find it offensive at all, i don’t understand, the word is so big, and there’s something called “globalization”
THIS IS OFFENSIVE:
THIS IS OFFENSIVE:
I hope you understand my point, Im not saying that Im defending the Mexican culture appropriation, im just saying that maybe people on tumblr are overreacting, with all this happening, I think people is forgotten that we all are humans, and even with the borders, countries, cultures and continents WE ARE ALL HUMAN BEINGS THAT LIVE IN THE SAME PLACE.