Much Ado About Nothing video game
So I was just thinking about Shakespeare themed video games and I thought it would be really fun to make a game based on the play Much Ado About Nothing.
Basically it would be an adventure type game and you would play a number of different characters through different parts of the story. You would have scenes in which you control specific characters interspersed with free time in which you can choose any of several different characters to play and do side quest, mini-games, etc. that can affect how well or poorly other scenes go.
Your main goal is to get Beatrice and Benedick to fall in love with each other. You can do this in a number of ways such as choosing the right dialogue during scenes and conversations with the characters or planting evidence that suggests they love each other. The trick is, you cannot observe the status of their relationship directly, but instead must guess based on how they talk to each other and what did they say about each other.
You get to play a number of scenes such as:
- Play as one of Beatrice’s or Benedick’s friends and convince Beatrice or Benedick that the other loves them. This is done mainly by making good dialogue choices. However, Beatrice or Benedict is trying to hide while listening to you, and the more surprised they are, the harder it is for them to be stealthy. If they see that you have noticed them, they will leave in embarrassment and the scene ends early. (This is not a failure, it just means you don’t get to bump up the relationship score as much as you could have.)
- Play as Don Pedro during the masquerade ball and try to woo Hero for Claudio.
- There are a number of scenes in which you can play as either Beatrice or Benedick and try to come up with the best insults. (No overall effect, just for fun.)
There are several side quests you can go on that can affect the main plot:
- Play as Balthazar and take music lessons (this improves the romantic atmosphere of the tricking Benedick scene).
- Play as Don John plotting to make it look like Hero cheated on Claudio. (This makes people more likely to believe John’s story and allows you to play as John during the scene in which he “proves” her infidelity.)
- Play as the watch (either dogberry or verges) to investigate the “cheating”. (This allows you to play as either character after Hero’s “death” and reveal her innocence.)
- Play as one of Beatrice’s or Benedick’s friends and talk to Beatrice or Benedick to figure out what sort of things you should say to make them fall in love.
- Play as Benedick and take Beatrice up on her offer and actually follow through on the duel with Claudio. (This improves their relationship.)
Those are just a few ideas. Does anyone think that sounds like a fun game? Because I think it does lol