on the importance of Rowan Whitethorn GALATHYNIUS
Rowan taking Aelin’s last name in hugely important:
1) It demonstrates that Aelin trusts Rowan enough to take care of terrasen for her (the same can be said of her plan with Lysandra). Aelin is pretty sure she will die at the end of EoS and when they get married, so him taking her last name signifies that she has someone to rule in her stead as a *true* galathynius. And its someone she has approved of! Aelin is a pretty huge control freak who likes to have all her plans laid out ahead of time. Rowan taking her last name is a calculated part of her plan to save Terrasen in case she doesnt live.
2) Maas making this choice is such a slap in the face to the patriarchy. Historically, in patriarchal societies, most of the time female heirs are married off to another kingdom and give up their right to rule or claim to the throne. This happens regardless of if she is the first born or only viable heir. A distant male cousin or separate branch of the house carries the name forward and gets to be king. (google the war of the roses). One of the only european female monarchs to evade this is Elizabeth the first, and she only accomplishes it by refusing to marry or even have sex.
3) Its a big fuck you to the lords of Terrasen who don’t accept her as queen. By marrying, Aelin legitimizes her claim to the throne even more because it means she is likelier to have children who will carry on the line. And these children will definitely carry the Galathynius name, because it’s Rowan’s name as well. I think Rowan would let their kids be galathyniuses regardless of is he took the name, but given how big of jerks a lot of the Terrasen lords are, I doubt they would accept Aelin’s children if they weren’t fathered by a Galathynius man. Rowan is now a galathynius man capable of fathering legitimate heirs to the throne. Aelin and rowan clearly dont have a patriarchal view of the line of succession, but the Terrasen lords might! Rowan being a galathynius means all of the arguments they have against a female ruler can be shut down. Which leads me to number 4…
4) A huge fear among rulers is that if they don’t have a male heir, then the line dies.A female heir cant carry the last name forward, as she will have to take her husbands name when she marries. This is bullshit, obviously, but it’s bullshit that is perpetuated even in today’s society. Aelin isn’t taking Rowan’s last name, so she is carrying the Galathynius line forward.
5) In patriarchal western societies, when women married and took their husband’s last name, they became an official member of the husband’s family and his property. I’m not saying that Rowan has now become Aelin’s property, but he has become a member of her family. Aelin has NO Galathynius family left. She has cousins like Aedion, but no one else has the Galathynius name. She isn’t alone anymore.
Rowan taking Aelin’s last name demonstrates that the House Galathynius is not patrilineal and THAT IS SO IMPORTANT!!!!! It means their children will indisputably have the last name Galathynius!! It means that the line doesn’t die with Aelin which must be pretty fucking important to a girl whose entire family was murdered!!!
NEVER EVER UNDERMINE HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS BY CALLING HER AELIN ASHRYVER GALATHYNIUS WHITETHORN. NO. SHE REMAINS A GALATHYNIUS AND ROWAN BECOMES A GALATHYNIUS AND THIS WAS A CALCULATED MOVE ON SARAH’S PART TO GIVE AELIN EVEN MORE CLAIM TO THE THRONE AND TO ENSURE THAT THEIR CHILDREN REMAIN THE RIGHTFUL HEIRS.