Meditate your ass off
What is meditation basically? Lots of people will tell you that meditation is supposed to calm your mind.
But what will really meditation do to you is that you’ll be able to CONTROL your mind. Or at least you’ll be better at it, which is something huge, believe me. And controlled mind is a big tool in magic work.
There are 3 basic types of meditation.
1. Just observe your mind. This is something that you can do when you have time. Sit on your couch, lie on your bed - whatever feels good for you - that’s the key. Close your eyes and just try to observe what’s your mind up to. The important thing is - don’t try to think. Just let your mind exist. It almost feels like falling asleep, actually. Once you try it you can feel how freeing that moment is.
2. Be aware. Yes, awareness of your body and later, of what is happening around you. For example, try to be aware of your breathing. Focus on how you breathe. Just feel how your nostrils feel the air coming in and out. Tap on your forehead with your finger and feel the spot. Be aware of the sensation. Focus on it like nothing else exist. Just the sensation you feel on your skin.
3. Focus on one thing and one thing only with your mind. As I always say, start with something easy like an orange. Orange is easy to imagine in your mind. Picture its structure. Picture its taste on your tongue. Picture how it feels when you touch it. Basically, put together a picture of everything you know about the orange and keep mind picturing it. Feel the orange for as long as possible. If you lose your concentration, it’s alright and you did nothing wrong - we’re humans, not robots. Just try again :)
Questions you may ask:
Q: What if I don’t have time for meditation? I’m busy with school and work!
A: Well, of course we live in a world that needs our presence. And number 2 and 3 can be done while you wait for the bus, while you’re stuck in traffic jam, and so on. Don’t lose hope, just because you’re busy :)
Q: Is it really necessary to meditate?
A: Nothing is necessary, it’s your choice. But the truth is, if you choose to meditate, you’ll be able to control your mind better and it’s not only helpful in magic work. It can help you if you have trouble sleeping and so on. Helps with anxiety, too, btw.
Q: How does meditation help control mind?
A: Number 1 can teach you:
- how to be aware of what’s going on in your mind on the level you can’t reach yet. Later, you can use this new entry to your mind and analyze your psyche better.
- how to not fall asleep when you try astral traveling before going to bed.
- lucid dreaming :)
Number 2 can teach you:
- how to be aware of what your body wants and needs even though it can’t speak.
- how to be aware of what is happening around you in a crowd - kind of good skill to have these days, sadly.
- how to feel if something paranormal is happening around you.
Number 3 can teach you:
- how to use your willpower as a tool for your magic work.
- power of good imagination raises IQ and plain common sense.
Remember that if something isn’t going well for the first time you try, it doesn’t mean it’ll be like this forever. Things can better with practice. So don’t worry. We were all lame shits when we started.