The 3% of studies that reject global warming are filled with errors
A new study has found they’re riddled with cherry picking, curve fitting, and disregarding known physics.
By now, most of us are aware that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree that global warming trends over the past century are most likely due to human activities. But what about the remaining 3 percent that reject this conclusion based on their own scientific investigation? How did they come up with such different results, and do their analyses render the climate consensus incorrect?
To answer these questions, an international team of scientists has attempted to replicate the findings of a selection of climate contrarian papers. Publishing in the journal Theoretical and Applied Climatology, they report that these papers are riddled with false dichotomies, inappropriate statistical methods, and misconceived or incomplete physics, and displayed much the same methodological flaws, with cherry picking - selecting and omitting evidence to suit a bias - as the most widespread.
“We found that many contrarian research papers omitted important contextual information or ignored key data that did not fit the research conclusions,” one of the team, Dana Nuccitelli from Skeptical Science in Australia, writes at The Guardian.