Opposing groups of monks stand in front of choir books used by the choir during liturgical services. Christ appears between them, turning towards one in favor.
Religious costume (the long hooded robe called a habit) helps us tell the monastic communities apart. This marginal decoration comes from the Abbey Bible, painted for a Dominican monastery, the group chosen by Christ.
#ThyCaptionBe is a celebration of modern interpretations of medieval aesthetics. You guess what the heck is going on, then we myth-bust.
Humor Monastery it is a monastery for nuns dedicated to the Dormition of Virgin Mary, or Theotokos. It was constructed in 1530 by Voievod Petru Rares and his chancellor Teodor Bubuiog. Humor is one of the first of Moldavia s painted monasteries to be frescoed and, along with Voronet, is probably the best preserved.The dominant colour of the frescoes is a reddish brown.The church has been inscribed by UNESCO on its list of World Heritage Sites. http://dlvr.it/KSGRd4
- gorgeous cold nipping weather
- beautiful Thanka paintings
- magnificent color in murals, tapestry, and paintings in monasteries
- the simplicity of the people
- the cleanliness, social etiquette
- amazing food places, hole in the wall tea shops where “everybody knows everybody”
- finally, the company of the LifeCycle gang (topping the experience was the music session).
Raju drove us 250 km from Chandigardh
Stayed at the Deodar lodge in McLeodgang, overlooking the Valley
Adjacent to a residential area of the monks who were chanting early morning, and playing marbles in the yellow lights at night (cold, very cold).