the nerdy guide to fitness
It’s definitely going to suck at first, but you will accidentally have fun, I promise. Okay folks, this whole sedentary lifestyle thing isn’t working anymore. It’s definitely going to suck at first, but you will accidentally have fun, I promise. Get moving!
- Exercise is anything that elevates your heart rate or takes your body outside of its normal comfort zone- you don’t have to go to a gym to do either one
- Don’t use exercise as an excuse to eat junk! Bad food decisions don’t cancel out.
- Yoga/stretching is the easiest way to get your blood flowing with minimal effort
- Running or biking is a close second
- Consistency is way more important than cramming in 3 miles in one day
- if you’re doing cardio, follow up with a cool down stretch or light jog. Take care of yourself!!
- Exercise after your school/workday is over (instead of taking a nap). You’ll have more energy to tackle homework, and you’ll get a better night’s sleep.
- Make a playlist filled with super bright and obnoxious songs. Works every time.
- If you use the Pomodoro method to study, try to fit yoga/stretching into the breaks.
- If “regular” exersize isn’t your thing:
- Take 5-10 minutes to dance enthusiastically in your room, that’s so much better than nothing.
- Get creative with your friends. Instead of meeting for coffee, go on a hike, frisbee in the park, etc.
- Small things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator do add up.
- If you drive, park a little farther away.
- Keep track of your steps. My phone’s health app has a pedometer but they’re really cheap on amazon- please don’t splurge on a Fitbit.