How to Name Your Omnic!
gather round folks because i’m going to make a
quick and easy guide on how to name your omnic OCs or unnamed canon omnic characters, using canonical omnic characters as examples! tl;dr at the bottom.
Zenyatta & Mondatta
- so, funny thing – “Zenyatta” is actually the name of a famous racehorse known as “the queen of racing”, but we get the actual origin of these nerds’ names when we just… put them together! Zenyatta Mondatta is the name of an album released in the 80′s by the American rock band The Police. maybe they listened to it and liked it? (though i’m trying to listen to it rn and full disclosure it’s a snorefest sorry i have no taste)
- Zenyatta and Mondatta probably saw the album art in a virtual rock & roll museum or something and they were like “ok i’ll be that one and you be this one”
- or they found it in the garbage
- someone named a background character in their fic “Sunyatta” and I thought that was really cute. who was responsible for this.
- in conclusion these two named themselves to be a pair and that’s really gay
so basically nonsense words and pop culture references are fair game – and this one also has significance to their life goals and desires, since the Shambali take much of their spiritual inspiration from Zen Buddhism.
- you can’t fucking make this shit up. okay so. there’s a famous omnic film director and they named themselves after Alfred Hitchcock, which is significant bc Hitchcock was also a film director and called by some “the master of suspense”. so again, you have an omnic naming itself something it considers significant to their life goals and desires for the future.
- this absolute child put three robot puns in its name. THREE.
- omnics are memelords and they probably make dad jokes
- literally named after their make/model.
- probably bc they can’t talk.
- this just makes me wonder what the bipedal omnics were called before Omnica shit itself and they all spontaneously gained sentience and began naming themselves?
like if Titan/Bastion/??? is a formula, then i’d put it somewhere in the ballpark of Custodian, Companion or, concerningly… Minion…?
- a prominent omnic actor that stars in some famous films, including at least one with Hana Song
- named themselves “thespian” which is a synonym for “actor” bc they wanted to be an actor, making their name significant to their life goals and desires for the future.
- im proud of them
- EDIT: there are multiple canonical Thespians and Thespions and this shows that omnics don’t argue about who gets to be what they just calmly add a new numerical designation when the name they want is already taken, i just? look at all these thespian-aspiring omnics who have achieved their dreams?
- i want to see them grow up strong
- ok so this poor buddy is a lot lesser well-known, but they’re an omnic mercenary and they feature in the digital comic Mission Statement
- spoiler alert: the god AI Anubis tries to take over their body so Okoro suicides in order to protect their comrades ):
- rip okoro
- Okoro is a surname of Igbo origin (the principle language of the Igbo ethnic group in southeastern Nigeria) meaning “the child of the freeborn man”
- so again we have packaged in the name SIGNIFICANCE TO THEIR LIFE GOALS AND DESIRES FOR THE FUTURE
Unnamed Oni Omnic from the “Dragons” animated short
- gets an honorable mention because i love and support them
- someone wrote a fic where they named the omnic Nobunaga and i support this decision and also any other names ppl come up with this lovely child
tl;dr: so to sum it up, things that have canonically been used to name omnic characters:
- an omnic literally names themselves the profession (”actor”, “Alfred Hitchcock”) or virtue they aspire toward (”zen”)
- real life names (only one though, they don’t seem to use surnames?) (a good bet is something that means freedom – also consider using a name from a language near their omnium of origin!)
- sidenote: Tekhartha is a Shambali title, not a surname or given name or anything. i guess it means, “best and most tranquil gay leader” or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- pop culture references (80′s rock album titles, Alfred Hitchcock)
- ridiculous robot puns/memes (HALFRED GLITCHBOT. HOW DID THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS…)
- freedom (Okoro (rip :’c))
other cool ideas you might consider:
- an omnic names itself after a human or human family that cared for it
- an omnic names itself after a significant life event (potentially the one in which they acquired sentience?)
honestly omnics name themselves like a bunch of teenagers and young adults on an internet forum – it’s not their FIRST online account, they’ve grown past the “xxxRoBoTiC_JuSTiCexxx” sort of embarrassments, but it’s literally just.
what does your omnic like.
congratulations that’s probably their name (or their name has something to do with that)