Don’t mind my cat’s tail! That really is the best picture from my bunch and I couldn’t stop laughing, so I had to!
I had this ambitious idea to make lentil burgers this week and sometime around, hmm, right before lunch I said, “Or, I could skip getting it stuck all over my hands and sorting through the dud burgers and just smash the whole thing into a baking dish and call it a loaf.” I did make some significant changes to the flavor profile, so this is not my lentil burger recipe. I’ll have to share that with you sometime I’m not so lazy! I made the flavor profile much more Arabic seven-spice inspired and infused it with a tart glaze on top that adds a contrast to the deep earthiness of that spice mixture.
On the side, I served a Jerusalem salad. I had this salad for the first time at a shawarma place on my college campus and it’s taken me this long to properly replicate the dressing. It gives the plate a really nice fresh note and a little bit of coolness. I think these pair beautifully.
1 lb dried lentils, rinsed and picked over
2 eggs (or egg substitute)
1 TBSP olive oil
1 cup rolled oats, milled into flour
½ large onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 serrano, minced
large handful of spinach, chopped
2 TBSP fresh parsley, minced
salt, to taste
½ tsp black pepper
1 + ½ TBSP cumin
½ TBSP paprika
⅛ tsp clove
⅛ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cardamon
2 TBSP pomegranate molasses
juice of a lemon
1 tsp sugar
Directions: Cook the lentils to package instruction ahead of time and have your vegetables prepared as well. Preheat the oven to 350F. In a food processor mill your oats and set them aside in a small bowl. Next, pulse your lentils in the food processor. Do not turn it into a puree, just pulse it around a few times to break them up a bit. If you think the lentils don’t have enough “give” to them add a tablespoon or two of water. In a large mixing bowl, toss in the lentil mixture, the 2 eggs, and the oil. Stir it around a bit. Now, add in the onion, carrots, garlic, serrano, spinach, parsley, and all salt + spices. Stir it around to combine thoroughly. Lastly, add in the oat flour and stir to recombine. In a small saucepan, pour in the pomegranate molasses, the lemon juice, and the bit of sugar. Heat it up over high heat and once it bubbles, take it down to low, and stir constantly until it thickens slightly.
Spray a baking dish (around 11”x13”) with no stick, spoon in the mixture, and even it out. Pour the pomegranate glaze on top and stick it in the oven. Cooking time will vary depending on ovens and dish dimensions so start checking for doneness at the 25-30 minute mark. 10-12 servings.
1 lb cucumber, diced
1 lb vine ripe tomatoes, diced (don’t keep too much of the “guts”)
½ red onion, diced
2 TBSP fresh parsley, minced
¼ cup fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons depending on ripeness)
¼ cup tahini paste
3 TBSP plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt or alternative (I used So Delicious)
1 large clove of garlic
salt, to taste
Directions: Prepare vegetables (except the garlic) and place them in a mixing bowl. In the food processor combine the lemon juice, tahini, yogurt, garlic, and salt. Blitz it until completely smooth. Pour it on top of the vegetables and stir to combine. Ideally, let it sit the fridge for a bit before serving.
Hope you enjoy these fics as much as I did/do (and forever will). If/when you do read them, please don’t forget to like/kudo/comment and feel free to leave essay-long reviews/thoughts. Writers live off such stuff. :))
let’s split this into the “holy shit i’m gay playlist” and they “holy shit girls are great playlist” yeah?
holy shit i’m gay 1. kt tunstall - heal over 2. indigo girls - closer to fine 3. adam lambert - aftermath 4. nana grizol - photos from when we were young 5. rent - la vie boheme
holy shit girls are great 1. mary lambert - she keeps me warm 2. broken social scene - anthems for a seventeen year old girl 3. be steadwell - witch/sometimes/greens 4. anthony green - she loves me so 5. tame impale (ft HAIM) - cause i’m a man 6. Oh Pep! - Tea, Milk & Honey
i hope yr ok, nonny! its been a long time since i realized i was queer, but i remember it being very very scary before it became very very great
After five years of waiting, I got the chance to see my favorite musician perform live.
John Mayer has always been a big influence in my music. I was in high school when my cousin made me listen to him. After he showed me his copy of JM’s ‘Where the Light Is” concert, I got hooked in his music. The way he compose the lyrics and puts a blues riff in every single song made me realized that he’s not just like a musician that everyone has seen because he’s intelligent when it comes to song writing.
Last year, John Mayer announced that he’s going to release a new album after a four-year hiatus, and when his first single of his new album came out, I freaked out. I’ve been waiting for some good music to come out for a long time. After releasing his ‘Love on the Weekend’ single, he also announced that he’s going to have a worldwide tour, and Chicago is one of the cities where he’s going to play.
That moment, I knew that I’m going to do everything in able to watch him perform live, so I took all the overtimes in my work to save money for a ticket.
April 11, 2017. It’s the day. I bought a ticket close to the stage. I also brought my brother with me but since he’s not that big fan of John Mayer, he decided to watch the show in the general admission area.
The concert will start at 7:30 so we need to be there at 6 or 6:30. I woke up at 11 in the morning that day, and left our house at 2. I was super excited.
The United Center, which the concert will take place, is an hour away from us so we need to ride the train to get there without spending a lot.
We arrived at the train station near the United Center at four but we still need to walk a thirty-minute distance to get there, but it’s not a big issue for us since it wasn’t that cold.
Once we got there, we were the first ones to wait at the gates. We waited for two hours to get inside. The purpose of waiting that long is for us to be the first ones to get his concert merchandise. I bought a ‘Love on the Weekend’ hoodie which I wore the entire concert.
The concert started at 7:30 which was front-acted by this band called ‘The Record Company.’ After listening to their music, I became a fan.
They’re a three-piece band composed of Chris Vos (guitar, lead vocalist), Alex Stiff (bass, back-up vocals), and Mark Cazorla (drums). Their music is a mixture of rock and roll, countries, and blues.
These guys are awesome. Despite of playing in front of a lot of people, I can still feel their humility and passion, and they really play good music.
After the front-act, the lights went out and the whole place was filled with cheer. As the stage screen showed clips from their previous concerts, there was a loud applause from the crowd, and the man that I’ve been waiting to see for a long time is walking in the center stage.
Along with his ‘Where the Light Is’ team, John Mayer started the show with his new song called, ‘Moving On and Getting Over.’
Everyone went nuts.
John Mayer killing the show with his guitar solos with David Ryan Harris on the right and Pino Paladino on the back.
John Mayer with Steve Jordan.
John Mayer Trio.
The show was composed of five chapters which are:
Chapter One - Full Band
1. Moving On and Getting Over
3. I Don’t Trust Myself with Loving You
4. Who Says
Chapter Two - Acoustic
7. Whiskey, Whiskey, Whiskey
9. Free Fallin’
Chapter Three - Trio
10. Who Did You Think I Was
Chapter Four - Full Band
13. Why Georgia
14. Still Feel Like Your Man
15. If I Ever Get Around to Living
16. Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
Chapter Five - Encore
18. Gravity (He wasn’t supposed to play this song but we all started to turn on our lights, and the whole place looked like a sky full of stars so he told us that he’s going to play Gravity for us instead of following his set list)
19. You’re Gonna Live Forever in Me
The entire show will forever be a part of me, and I will always remember how his music changed me from the moment I started listening to him through my phone until the day I saw him play his music live.
per @leaderofthebadguys‘ suggestion, i decided to join the bandwagon and make a nathan playlist!
it was definitely a challenge to pick all different artists (i also tried to avoid picking songs a bunch of people know already…there’s some halsey/21p songs i decided against including for that reason. not that i don’t love those artists…anyway)
while i did pick some of these for the musical sound, i’m a lyrics person at heart. so if you’re interested lyrical/character analysis, all of that is under the cut.
some of them are (sort of) love songs or imply past relationships or whatever, but i didn’t have any particular ship in mind when i put this together. so go nuts! :D
1. Matt Murray/Conor Sheary, groundhog day AU, where Conor keeps reliving the day they won the cup last season over and over
2. PK Subban/Ryan Johansen, kneeling verse. This is mostly to explore PK building strong relationships with the Preds squad, but sort of with the added element of controlled d/s. I’ve seen some fics that have done this without necessarily forcing dynamics onto everyone, and I really liked the idea. And, PK and Joey are really achingly cute together.
3. Zdeno Chara/Brendon Carlo - oh boy. Okay, I have most of the idea for this written, because I yelled about it at @mjanmarks before, but it deals with the question of age difference, and trying to even it out? Like, trying to make the dynamic non-exploitative in both directions.
4. Zdeno Chara, knitting verse - Zdeno knits, is basically the whole plot of this. It’s like, a 5+1 thing, 5 times Z knitted for someone and one time someone knitted for him, and it was supposed to just be an exploration of my Z feels and my Bruins feels. I just like writing Zdeno a whole lot.
6. Johnny Gaudreau/Sean Monahan, collage AU, where Johnny is neurodivergent and Sean is his dorm roommate, and they play college hockey. Written with @rosecityriveters
7. I still lowkey want to write the AU where Johnny is a kindergarten teacher and Sean plays for the Flames with Matty?
8. Nicklas Backstrom/Alexander Ovechkin - retirement fic where they’ve sort of been out of contact for a while, but Nicky finds this disposable camera with pics from his rookie year on it
9. CRACK - Ovi/Neymar, which I started writing right as I started getting into hockey, because I thought it was great how much of a Barca fanboy Ovi was, and also, because size difference?? Basically, the two of them meet, Ney is like ‘come visit me in Brazil some time’ and then Ovi being Ovi, actually goes
10. more football crossovers! - Claude Giroux/Olivier Giroud, where they get stuck in the same hotel suite because someone misinterprets the spelling of their names
11. A is for Asexual - this is a series that imagines that every A in the NHL is actually somewhere on the ace spectrum. It’s an ongoing project. Basically whenever I’m made to feel shitty about my sexuality I go there and I write something. So far we’ve got Mo, Nate and Geno, but I want to do as many as I can.
12. Phil Kessel/Carl Hagelin - getting together fic, where they have cute breakfasts in a diner and everyone knows something is going on except for them. I have like 3k done for this, but it’s not even close to finished and I haven’t worked on it in ages :/
I think that’s it? Like, there are ships I want to write for, like Horny/Hags, and Davo/Leon, and Nicky/Sid, and Jake/Mo, but haven’t thought up concrete ideas of yet.
so i’m a massive fan of up and coming bands from australia in the same kind of scene as 5sos were, thus I think it’s essential that I share with you some of my favourites so that maybe they can get the exposure they all deserve!