So here’s what happened with Best Picture for those who missed it:
Warren Beatty somehow was given the envelope for Best Actress instead of Best Picture. When opened, it said the winner was Emma Stone for La La Land. He was confused, then read out La La Land. The crew came on stage to accept the award.
It was then the envelope mistake was discovered and Jimmy Kimmel came out to fix the problem and announce Moonlight as the correct winner.
The La La Land crew took it with incredible grace and cleared the stage for Moonlight. Pretty much went as well as a mistake like this could.
Edit: I wrote this right before bed and forgot to mention Faye Dunaway was the one to actually read out the wrong movie. She thought Warren was trying to draw out the moment (as presenters do at these awards) and didn’t realize he had the wrong card.
It’s like the majority of people on tumblr get their news from a reblogged gif😒
1) the old man (Warren Beatty) didn’t announce a winner. He just stood there looking confused and was asking his co presenter (Faye Dunaway) to double check.
2) Faye didn’t properly read the card and just blurted out LaLa Land.
3) The cards are printed in a way that Warren didn’t know for sure if he had been given the wrong card or Emma Stone was the producer of LaLa Land.
4) There are 2 sets of cards printed in case of anything catastrophic that might happen, just so the real results are preserved and revealed.
5) The LaLa Land producers knew way before the first acceptance speech ended that the wrong winner was announced and instead of politely giving way the stage, they stood there and went through their speeches. Jimmy, Warren, the producers were trying to be polite by not just booting them off but they let them know they didn’t win. It must have been hard for them but they should have given way and let the production do their jobs.
6) There was no reason for Jordan Horowitz (producer of LaLa Land) to snatch that card out of Warren’s hand as he was trying to come up to explain what happened as it was his award to present. He was trying to correct a mistake that wasn’t his but given the fact that he was the presenter, he was the public face of this. I understand he was pissed, but he was still rude.
7) Emma Stone’s “I had my card the whole time” was a bit ignorant. Regardless if at the time she didn’t know there were two sets, she basically was calling Warren Beatty a liar without knowing all the facts.
8) There was no conspiracy to steal Moonlight’s moment. Someone fucked up and fucked up royally. They will probably never work the oscars again, never get another live tv gig and possible not work in the industry anymore.
9) The only thing that may have slightly (and I say slightly because I think the Moonlight people have been overly gracious towards the LaLa Land people) dampened Moonlight’s moment was the fact that you could tell they knew way early on they didn’t win and still stood on stage and gave their speeches until finally production decided to step in and move them off. Only then did Jordan Horowitz attempt to correct things after they refused to give way.
10) Jimmy Kimmel is a dunce. Nobody cares what he thinks about who should keep the award.
A day after Senate Republicans invoked a conduct rule to end Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s speech against the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions as U.S. attorney general, a 1986 letter from Coretta Scott King urging the Senate to reject Sessions’ nomination as a federal judge is gaining new prominence.
Warren was reading aloud from the letter by King, the widow of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., when she was interrupted by the presiding chair of the Senate, who warned her of breaking Rule 19, which forbids members from imputing to a colleague “any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.”
The warning mentioned Warren’s earlier quote of Sen. Edward Kennedy, who had called Sessions, then a U.S. attorney, a disgrace. But it was King’s letter that — more than 10 minutes after Warren finished reading it aloud Tuesday night — prompted Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to call her out of order. That resulted in Warren being silenced on the Senate floor.
In his objection, McConnell cited King’s accusation that Sessions had used “the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.”
You know what I want. I want a Sky High remake so that they can continue it into a series. Picture this:
Sky High Remake. Freshman year. Same plot, same characters, Will is still a dipshit, but it’s less 00s looking with modern fashion, modern acting people, better CGI. Make Warren Peace gayer. Sets up the whole series.
Sky High Sequel. Sophomore year. The main character is Layla. The hero and sidekick set up has been demolished. Now students who have sidekick powers are in the same classes as students with bad ass powers and are getting the butts kicked constantly. The main characters fight over weather or not this is better and their friend group splits in two. They don’t talk to each other as Layla desperately tries to make everyone get along. Eventually they have to put their fighting aside to fight the Gym Coach and his army of bullies who has been secretly setting up former sidekicks to fail so that all the heroes of the future aren’t “lame.” They take him down and compromise, agreeing that people should be matched by power level but not separated.
Sky High 3. Junior year. The main character is Ethan (puddle guy). He wakes up without his powers. He doesn’t tell anyone because he thinks nobody will like him if he has no powers and that they’ll come back soon enough. Slowly he realizes that other kids have lost their powers too but aren’t telling anyone. The group befriends Sophomore known for not having any powers at all whose there because his parents have powers. Turns out he knows the ins and outs of the school really well and he helps them as they go on a mission to discover what happened to their powers. This new guy starts dating Warren. Finally the whole team has to fight the villain, a new character with sidekick parents, who has been stealing the powers of the students to make himself stronger so he can be the best hero ever.
Sky High 4. Senior year. The main character is Warren. We finally get to see his family and what it’s like with one hero parent and one villain parent. His parents don’t live together because his dad Baron Battle is in jail but it’s weird. But he learns his dad has broken out of jail. This makes things really weird for him and Will as Will’s parents are out looking for him. Eventually Warren and Will have a big fight, using their powers, and they both get suspended. Finally, at Prom, Warren’s dad appears at the school to try to get Warren to be his henchman. Warren refuses and they all have to fight Warren’s dad.