Prompt List: Unusual Soulmate List
Tired of the same old simple soulmate au’s? Well, here you go. This is a list of some different and some not so simple ones. It’s actually the result of me brainstorming a way to have a soulmate au without introducing the concept until 1/3 of the way through the story while making sense how it could not be talked about till then. Anyway, some of these are weird, but I thought I would share.
1. Basically any of the ones where a mark appears, you see colors, you gain or lose a sense, there is a flash of light, etc when you meet your soulmate except it doesn’t happen until you kiss your soulmate.
Example: If the person you kiss is your soulmate, you will gain the ability to see colors.
Or a matching mark will appear on your skin.
Why I like this one: Simply going around touching people or meeting lots of people isn’t going to cut it. It will probably have less of an effect on how the society works unless people start casually kissing everyone they meet (which could make for an interesting universe)
2. Only blood will tell. In other words, the only way to know if someone is your soulmate is to mix a drop of your blood with theirs and see if it changes color/moves/glows/idk/anything really.
Why I like this one: Again, it’s not convenient. You can’t just walk around dripping blood and see if it mixes with someone elses and does something. And since life is rarely convenient, why should soulmates be any different?
Addition: You feel some sort of pull towards the person but the only way to know if they are soulmates for sure is to mix the blood.
3. Same as number one except the change or appearance of a mark doesn’t happen until you say you love each other.
What I like about this one: still more complex. On the down side, unless there is the condition that you have to mean it when you say it or you can only say it a limited number of times before meeting your soulmate, people could just throw the phrase around and it’s no different from simply meeting your soulmate.
4. A mark appears or a change occurs when you hear your soulmate speak for the first time. The catch is, you can only speak a limited amount of times or to a limited number of people. If you use up the limit without finding your soulmate, you lose your chance. (after you find them you can speak as much as you want though.)
What I like: Didn’t work for my story but I like that it’s still a major inconvenience. Like yeah, life will give you a soulmate who is perfect for you but it won’t make things easy because life is a bitch like that.
5. You only know someone is your soulmate once they have died.
What I like: it’s so freakin useless as far
as finding the person goes. Unless there is some sort of trick or people can die more than once or something. Otherwise it’s just asking for angst.