“So, what you’re saying is that you’re essentially a fish.”
“I am not a bloody fish, Hux.”
Kylux Merman AU in which:
- Hux is an overworked CEO of his family’s multimillion-dollar fishing company, First Order fisheries. Following a major stressed induced nervous breakdown, he’s forced to his grandparent’s old seaside mansion to recuperate. Doctor’s orders.
- Whilst sullenly walking along the private beach by the house, Hux catches sight of what looks like a person hopelessly entangled in one of his company’s fishing nets.
- Wanting to avoid a potential publicity nightmare, Hux rushes over to the figure, swiss army knife in hand, only to find that the individual trapped in said net is not exactly human.
- Meanwhile, Kylo is the headstrong prince of an undersea colony ruled by his mother, Queen Leia.
- The heir to the throne and the colony’s fiercest warrior, he is also a chronic rule-breaker who frequently breaches the surface and swims near the two-legs’ dwellings (which is how he got caught in the net in the first place)
- Kylo’s colony is also currently in conflict with another colony ruled by a mysterious being known as Snoke (but that’s a story for another time)
- Although Kylo’s people have vocal cords, they communicate with each other primarily through telepathy (though clicks and squeaks are also used under certain circumstances!)
- Hux is shocked enough to find what looks like a merman entangled in his company’s fishing net, but he near passes out when he hears Kylo in his head for the first time.
- Kylo is badly injured by the net, too hurt to return to his home in the sea. In a rare moment of compassion, Hux takes pity on him and takes him into his home to nurse him back to health (anything to break the tedium of day to day life without his work).
- Hux is only going to take care of Kylo till he recovers, and then he’s going to dump him back into the ocean. Not a day longer, he swears.
- Yeah right.
I am thrilled to share this AU with you guys! Anyone who’s known me for a while will know that I love mermaid au’s, and really it was only a matter of time before I turned my greedy eyes to my current OTP!
A HUGE thank you to @hux-you-up who not only didn’t balk and run screaming for the hills when I hesitantly suggested this AU to her, but has spent hours and hours enthusiastically discussing it with me, building and fleshing out this verse to something pretty damn solid! We definitely have enough material here for a full-length fic of epic proportions. Maybe someday, maybe someday. ;)